Liverpool Reserves & Academy Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know what you're saying, but this is kind of funny.

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It definitely was unintended :D

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Apparently Guardiola has just said on the radio that Liverpool's Academy is the only one that compares with La Masia. High praise indeed, if this translation is accurate. No doubt he is hearing all about it from Borrell and Segura. I am sure this story will be reported further.

As well as a product of Barca's La Masia, Guardiola ran the Barca B team for a few years. So he has intimate knowledge of the Barca Youth setup both as player and coach.

4. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Would love to see Pep at Liverpool. He knows his shit. It's a shame some of that talent such as Pacheco never get a proper run.

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    from the Beeb:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13801498.stm

6. kamrozzaman

kamrozzaman New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ynwa

7. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    engerland U-17s tie with Canadia. Engerland is shite at the back and the keeper was responsible for both Canadia goals. Sterling is the real deal. He won the foul that led to Morgans headed goal. Both of them are exciting players with big futures

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wrong attitude, in my view. The experience of playing in tournaments at that stage of development is the most important thing. Two howlers at the back are as valuable as curling a beaut in from 30 yards. Winning as meaningful as losing. Obviously it's best to combine the accumulation of experience with the magic ingredient of the winning habit, but it's when that becomes too overbearing a focal point that development is impeded. As England teams have learnt through the ages.

We have a terrible tendency to look at national teams of any age and think of them as "stars of the future". That's even the regular label attached to our junior teams in the press. In reality, down at U-17 level you're as likely watching future plumbers as future senior internationals. Imbuing their work with the same significance as that attached to senior club or country teams is counterproductive.

Let's not forget Le Tallec and Sinama-Pongolle. They were hailed as 'diamonds' by Houllier when he bought them off the back of their own showing at a U-17 World Cup. Both are now halfway through solid but entirely unspectacular club careers at middling outfits in France and Spain. A quick scan of fifa.com and Wikipedia reveals that of the other players in the starting 11 only one went on to have any form of senior international career, briefly, for Senegal.

Sterling is a cracking talent, but his ball control remains loose, his decision making is that of a 17-year old and he hasn't yet learnt to control pace with poise. He draws a lot of fouls, but he's also dispossessed too easily. Much work to be done, so his presence at this World Cup should be about nothing more than his own personal learning curve, alongside that of his teammates'.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's largely true for England where hype and hubris over individuals trump playing as a team (even at senior level), and less so for other countries.

I must say, having watched the U-19, U21 and now the U17, I seriously doubt that any football learning is taking place at all. Unless it's for our coaches and scouts who are watching.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yes, but it's England that has a unique need to do some serious catching up, so our situation would naturally differ.

As I've seen remarked elsewhere, aside from, arguably, the U-17's, looking for a marked change in ability, mentality or disposition amongst any teams currently nearing senior age groups is a waste of time. They're still going back too far into a period indelibly marked by poor infrastructure, outdated methods and asinine mentality. Never mind the finer points of man-marking or correct body shape for the half volley. The "future of English football" is still learning to walk.

11. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Not bad considering he is only 16!

The thing to note about Sterling, is that unlike many players who stand out at Youth level, Sterling is not doing so due to his physical size. He is one of the smallest players at U18 level and despite this is still clearly an outstanding player at that level - at 16.

If you have watched the U17 World Cup matches, you will see that he is pivotal to England's game plan. They give the ball to Sterling, he roasts the right back and puts a cross in or takes a shot. There is no corresponding threat on the right flank - Sterling is clearly the best attacking talent in that side. In this tournament, he has already scored a fabulous goal and hit the post twice.

Sterling is rightly considered one of the most talented English players coming up through the pipeline at LFC - or ANY club. He reminds me of a young Giggs or Messi, with his playing style. I am not saying he will be as good as them or course, but I am very excited about this prospect.

I expect him to be knocking on the door for the Senior LFC team this coming season. He can play League Cup at least - remember Left Wing is an area of weakness in the first team.

See Sterling against Rwanda in the U17 World Cup..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJS4yp823XE"]YouTube - ‪Raheem Sterling vs Rwanda‬‏[/ame]

12. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Segura says that when he arrived at the LFC Academy only a few years ago, there were 2 players in the England Youth teams, now there are 25! A dramatic change! :D

13. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that sterling attacks and takes on his man - no messing around and trying to be too fancy - though he seems to have the quick feet and skills as well.

14. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Matt I wasn't suggesting that Engerland should win rather that our two lads were the one's that caught the eye.of course how they turn out is a function of the interplay between their work, training, and talent as they go forward. It is indeed a crap shoot.

15. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think much can be gleaned other than it's nice to see we have players there.

It's more a feather in the Academy's cap than anything else. They're not going to improve development wise from being on the u17, and only the u21 do you really want to see them dominate their age group as the 21-22 year old players are more developed and have a better grasp of tactics. Plus most of those players in the u21 are at least playing with a senior side somewhere.

As for Sterling, I do think he should get a look this season, but I'm not sure he's ready. He's a great prospect, and probably one of the best we've seen at the Academy, but he does have some faults that might be tough. He's still pint sized, and while that doesn't bother him too much against his age group (though, if you watched the Rwanda match he took some tough fouls) but once or twice going down against say Cattermole and he's going to get injured. He's also much quicker with the ball at his feet than pretty much everyone he plays against regularly. When that isn't the case, and you have defenders who are used to what he does, it's going to be a struggle at first.

There's no reason to rush a 16 year old, no matter how tantalizing his talents could be.

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Sterling is not playing against his age group at LFC. He has been shining for the U-18's despite being the youngest player by almost a couple of years and also being the smallest player. He is one of the youngest players of this England U17 team too. I think he is worth a shot next season - I'd pick him over Jovanovic or Cole. We have given El Zhar and Eccleston playing time - Sterling is already better imo.

17. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will leave it to the King --- if he's good enough then he is old enough

18. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see him in the roster mostly because I want to use him in FIFA 11. :D

19. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If I've noticed anything from the Aussies at the U17 WC, its that Tom King is not good enough for Liverpool, with and without the ball...but especially with.

20. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I try not to draw conclusions about a single tournament. Especially with kids. Some improve and some regress. King is only 16 - so he has lots of important development time to come. He will likely not make the grade, but you never know how he will develop in the next couple of years.

21. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Raheem sterling with a lawn mower job, to help England equalize!

22. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
  23. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If he doesn't have the required technical skills at 16, then he's going to have to work harder than everyone else to catch up before its too late. Obviously there's a chance for him to make it, but I doubt it.

24. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Here is a must read article about the current setup and strategy at the Liverpool Academy.

Pep Segura made a presentation about his work at Liverpool to a meeting of coaches in Barcelona. His presentation was in Spanish and an article was published on Catalan writer Martin Pernanau's blog. Below is an English translation...

http://www.aliverpoolthing.com/2011/07/pep-segura-explains-strategy-behind.html

25. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London