Liverpool Reserves & Academy Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Red Bird, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    82 minutes. Don who came in for Adorjan breaks into the box and just about over-runs it and its saved. United keeper has been excellent.

2. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    85 minutes. Roddan nutmegs his markers, get a return and slots it in for N'goo to slide in his 2nd. 6-0.

"Pass and move", is in vogue. The entire defence, let it be said, has been excellent as have been the central mid-fielders.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    87th minute, and that would have been the icing. Roodan gets to a ball he shouldn't have and blasts a wicked dipping shot which the goal-keeper, in fairness comfortably saves.

Phew, this is breath-taking stuff.

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Final whistle.

In a match such as this, you find it difficult to pick a man of the match but I'd just about give it to Roddan for central mid-field composure or Adorjan for flitting in and out of the hole between midfield and attack. Just. This has been as complete a team performance as I have seen at any level.

Just been told that we have score 81 goals in 17 matches. We're onto a winner, I'd say.

If the rumours are to believed that we're only getting one or two or three big names, and then bring up some of this lot, then it ain't bad at all. I'll take that over some over-the-hill journeymen.

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gotta lie down, now. Phew, just phew!

6. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time we beat ManUre 6-0 at any level it's a brilliant day. YNWA.

7. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Big thanks for the updates Red Bird. Can't rep you quite yet, but will be sure to when I can.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good stuff red Boid. Sounds like you need that rest.
    Repped!!!:)

9. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Highlights of LFC U18 6-0 win over Man U...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frPwCHLu6BY"]YouTube - Liverpool vs manure.mp4[/ame]

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always been disappointed, when we've had the full complement of defenders, to see one of Wilson or Agger playing at left-back or Carragher at right-back, yet our competitors seemingly and quite successfully gamble with their sprogs. We have a unique opportunity in the history of our club in having a unity of purpose between the Academy, reserves and first team that has been elusive for most of the Premier League era.

So it was with great pleasure to see both Robinson and Flanagan being trusted to play against Arsenal. And they didn't do half-bad, either. That's why I think the acquisitions of the summer must compliment rather than block the progress that these youngsters are making. At left-back, I'd recall Insua, and maybe get Enrique not more than 6 million, and make them spell each other while Robinson is eased in. We can also have Johnson deputise there in emergencies. I reckon we're fine at right-back.

The next step is to see where exactly Messrs Eccleston, Suso, Pacheco, Coady, Shelveey, Roddan, Irwin and Roberts are in relation to first team. Loan them out, if there is some gap to give them regular first team action, and carefully monitor their progress. Keep an eye on N'goo, Adam Morgan, Silva and Adorjan, too and make young Ince see some sense. Decide on N'gog, but get rid of Cole, Jovanovic, Poulsen, El-Zhar, Degen and Jones.

Future is looking bright.

11. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Before yesterday I was certain we should try to bring back Insua but after yesterdays debut from Robinson and Aurelio with a year still left on his contract there might not be any room for him. It would of been different had he kicked on in Turkey or played well in his limited game time but he hasnt.

Sign a 1st choice LB with Aurelio and Robinson for cover and Johnson as an option in case of emergencies, with Kelly and Flanagan capable of covering for him.

The one positive from all these injuries is that its probably saved us millions this summer. Its too early for Robinson but I expect Kelly, Spearing and Flanagan all to feature regularly in match day squads next season and possibly Shelvey and Pacheco too. Focus our money on 1 LB and 1 AM who can play wide and off the Striker.

12. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much agree, but I'd be looking to sign a center back as well. Too much uncertainty with the 4 we have now, and Wilson probably needs a year or 2 of seasoning.

13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have saved us money, although, I agree that it's too early for Robinson to take on the full load-- we did that with Insua and look what the know-it-alls did to him-- but he's an excellent player, and only because of what he did to Walcott once he had got to the pace of the match. I've been watching him for the last 6 months and I've been impressed. Would it really make sense to shell I also think Wilson is fine and can immediately play at centre-half, but he's largely been a victim of our conservatism. Hopefully the last two performances will ease some of that caution.

Given how late some players bloom, I think it's folly to give up on Insua (Turkey is a dreadful misadventure by all accounts). Here is a who gets far too much stick for last season's dreadful campaign. yet, just look at our competitors;- the skanks have persevered with an equally unproven and occassionally-gaffe prone Rafael, and it will stand them in good stead in the future as he matures. Arsenal stood by Clichy, though he was regularly caught in possession and out of position. I also remember laughing at Baines at Everton when he first made the move as he was a liability on that flank. I still maintain that we were unduly hasty in casting off Warnock (hello, 26!), as foolish a decision as any we've taken regarding players.

We do need genuine creativity out wide, and the names that we're so far linked with do not really excite. Again, here lies an opportunity to get a player who immediately raises the quality of the playing sqaud rather than merely hinder the progress of up and coming. Also, if Juventus fail to meet our valuation and noopdy in Italy does, I'd be tempted to get Aquilani back.

14. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a wide player wth some pace. Badly.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... preferably one with a decent cross in him.

16. lcstriker11

lcstriker11 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ayala is still hanging out off the radar as well, and, by all accounts, he's been fantastic. I agree defense is becoming less and less of a concern, as Steve Clark has been amazing with what we've got. Flanagan, Kelly, Ayala, Robinson as a backline at some point in the future?? Probably not, but I think there are enough pieces there to warrant not having to go out and get any more than one defender this summer (probably a CB). Like others have said, we need a very fast and dangerous wide player. I think that when we have our full 11 healthy, the one guy I don't want on the field is Meireles, and a wide player takes him out, leaves you with Stevie, Lucas and Kuyt in the midfield. I'm happy with that when you add a dangerous guy out wide.

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reserves away to Citeh. Shall try and update. The missus has some friends all the way from Nottingham. skanks, too. :mad:

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the American sense of the word, this statement made me laugh out loud.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skanky

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This apparently is Man City's "Elite Development Squad" and some husky fellas in it, too.

Oh, right on the stroke of half-time, and an Ebouesque push by Wisdom concedes a penalty. Converted by a one of the said husky chaps, their number 9. 1-0 we trail at half-time.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was conveying that very same meaning [but about her friends!]

21. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I just thought you meant they were United fans. In that case, I'm still laughing. :D

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That, too :D

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    78' Psst ... anybody home?

Even though, we're losing 1-0 ...

As I suspected, the husky, elite development players are running out of puff and idea, and we have only just started displaying some passing football. On the flanks, Silva and Ince have started wreaking havoc. Me? Have fallen in love with this coaching structure. The football has progressed so much, it's not recognisable.

I typed this as nonchalantly as a Suarez flick.

24. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    http://thekop.liverpoolfc.tv/_The-K...uch-Better-Than-That/blog/3468803/173471.html

Love it.

25. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - as someone who's too young to have seen the King as a player (or in his first reign as LFC manager), I'm extremely grateful for his return, for no other reason than being exposed to the absolute class that he epitomizes. Every word that comes out of the man's mouth makes me smile. I always appreciated his ability as a player and status as a club legend, but now I fully understand it.

Sign him up, sign him up!