Liverpool FC vs The Citizens - EPL - April 13 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Apr 6, 2014.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sorry FB- but this was the best of the bunch. ;)

usscouse repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Wingtips1 and EruditeHobo repped this.
  3. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    El-Cap, you really know how to kick a man when he's on the up!:sneaky: Ok, I was wrong initially but you'll find many posts thereafter with my support of BR and keeping him for the long term even when it looked bleak.

el-capitano repped this.
  4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't bother to read these, I know that I was upset at how they treated Kenny (and I still am a bit) and I wrote that I was skeptical of the appointment and that we would lose a season changing direction. Initially, I was also skeptical of BR's MBA type platitudes and his tactical adjustments. So I was wrong on the latter but not on the other items. But I am dead cert that not a single one of you said we would be in first place on the 25th anniversary of Hillsborough.

hubbabubba and idreamofpikas repped this.
  5. lcstriker11

lcstriker11 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading through that was interesting, a couple thoughts came to mind:

1. Looking back, it's a bit funny that most of us (myself included) wanted a "big name" manager like Guardiola or Van Gaal to come in and change our culture. It's understandable that we'd want a proven manager, someone with a track record, but I think fans in general have this misconception about "small club" managers that they are not prepared to manage big clubs. When you look at the track record of really great managers past/present like Shankly, Paisley, Sacchi, Guardiola, Wenger, Klopp etc., you see that typically the most successful stage of their career is their first few years with "big" clubs, even though most of them came from small clubs or no significant managerial experience.
    • Shankly had very mixed success at four "small" clubs before coming to Liverpool, and his track record wouldn't suggest that he would be such a smashing success here
    • Paisley's only managerial experience was as assistant to Shankly
    • Sacchi began with relative success at Parma, and then went to Milan and won the league and back-to-back European titles pretty quickly
    • Guardiola's only managerial experience before Barcelona was Barcelona B
    • Wenger was successful in France at "smaller" clubs, went to Japan for 18 months, then went to Arsenal and had his most successful period as a manager in his first few years there
    • Klopp was at a second-tier club for seven years and got them promoted once but didn't really do anything else significant with them, then went to Dortmund and has been great
    I'm glad FSG took a chance and went and got the young, hungry up-and-comer who could really build something rather than jump on the coaching carousel by trying to sign an older "proven" manager who probably wouldn't have been around for more than a couple seasons. I understand the risk involved, but it's kind of strange to me why mid-table and lower clubs in the PL (or the lower levels) don't try to find a Martinez or Rodgers rather than just falling back on the Sam Allardyces of the world.

2. It will be really interesting how FSG approach Rodgers' second contract/extension and what responsibilities they let him have. In their world, the way they've operated in baseball, the manager is just one part of the whole operation and is easily replaceable, so he should never be given too much responsibility lest he leave the organization and a huge gap needs to then be filled. I think soccer is way different and the manager's influence is hugely important. I wonder if they'll give Rodgers more power and try to retain him for the next 10 years, or if they still view the manager as one piece of the puzzle and won't budge on the responsibilities they give them.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Fussballer said:
    Colour me, "Uncautiously pessimistic". Rodgers is the bog-end of the managerial pool. Don't like this one bit. Rodgers has done sweet FA in the EPL and is even worse than Martinez. Now if they want to have him as a puppet to LvG then it might work. But this isn't moving forward. It's standing still and even moving backwards.

Glad I didn't get tickets for the US tour as I'd be spitting venom from the stands towards the gaffer.

Ooooooo!

Me I'm happy to say the I welcomed the new broom, even though I was a little pissed at Kenny going. In truth though, I never really thought, except for a couple of really exciting matches when we were buzzing and Maxi was scoring, that Kenny could take us farther.
    I may be an old fart follower, but I'm a progressive follower. The football world is constantly changing and we have to keep ahead of it.
    Sorta like Hodgson...:rolleyes:

But oh my! It's still a long way to the next match innitt...?

7. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was being sarcastic. Obviously, LB was skeptical. I remember FR and myself going back and forth with him at the time. To be fair, I think it had less to do with Rodgers and more to do with FSG sacking Dalglish.

The fact remains that BR had to earn the trust and respect of a lot of people. But, he's doing that, and we can only be happy that our manager is honest, hard-working, and suprisingly humble (relative to some).

8. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this gem from @LiverMorgh

9. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I for one will raise my hand as being one of the doubters at the beginning. I felt pretty strongly that the club was so fecked up at multiple levels at the time it really needed an experienced, first tier manager with the gravitas to call the big shots and stand up to the baseball guys at FSG as and if necessary. Really concerned about the lack of any space for a learning curve - the knives would be out quick (and they were for awhile). Plus, Rodgers didn't endear himself with the early pronouncements and geez I wish that self portrait had never been so publicized.

But delighted that its turned out so well.

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This was my post from the day he was appointed:

"I said I would back whoever they appointed, whether I agreed it with it or not. Time to move past the disharmony and bickering."

I think I was referring to LB and 26 -- wow, you two were going at it!!

liverbird, Twenty26Six and usscouse repped this.
  11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea where I fell in the mix. I can't see any posts from me on it - I think my concerns were reserved for fsg.

12. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    It really is a nonsensical and inaccurate comment that started this. Most posters were skeptically optimistic from my recollection. I hardly recall anyone calling for BR to be fired.

It was natural for people to be skeptical of a non-high profile manager coming to Liverpool FC. Outside of Swansea I had no idea what BR's resume was so I inquired more into his managing philosophy and style. Once I saw element's of Barca's philosophy in his plans it was very easy to like him. The promise was there... The results would later come to verify that promise.

The important thing is that BR has been very effective and has been doing it with style. :)

PS. He is still developing as a manager I believe, so I am very curious to see what comes from him in 4-5 years time.

13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with the bold part. The " ... calls for resignation of Rodgers ... " that a large of number of commentators, especially on talk radio, are claiming happened early on are largely the work of fiction or the vocal phone-in minority. Even with Hodgson, I think it was more the anger at the owners than the manager who many rightly felt was palpably out of his depth.

I was one of those who had finally accepted that Dalglish had to go but was looking at other candidates chief among whom was Roberto Martinez. Although, I had reined in my scepticism about Rodgers by the end of last season, until this recent November I was constantly carping about the regular tactical ineptitudes whenever we lost points to the likes of Everton, WBA, Southampton, Newcastle, Hull among a few teams to which we lost points.

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #414 usscouse, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Oh ye of little faith...!

We needed a new broom. Too much baggage involved with all the old boys and it seemed to me, hard as it was, that Kenny had come as far as he could.

I liked what I read about BR and was putting faith in a more progressive manager and style, to match the new style of ownership.

I'm prolly the oldest fart aficionado on BS and one thing I have found over the years is. You have to move forward, you have to move on and adapt. Especially when dealing with the evolution of the game. You can't go back.
    Otherwise we'd still be playing 2-3-5, with boots rooted to your spot on the pitch.

el-capitano and Twenty26Six repped this.
  15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** looking back 2 years and who was right and who was wrong. Enjoy where we are today

16. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States