Liverpool FC vs Swansea City AFC - EPL - Feb 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Cody667, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see why Chelsea sorta thought they could freeze Sturridge out - as a striker he drifts wide into the channels often, spends a lot of his time there. If he plays there so much, why not make him a winger? But as we can see, that sort of movement is why he's so incredibly dangerous. He pulls wide, uses great pace and footwork to bring the team into the attack, and then charges back into the centre. The diving has got to stop, though.

Coutinho, with his goal and nice touches, literally went missing for over 20 minutes of the match. But he was smart, put a good shift in. Not a bad deubt.

Lucas had his role more defined in the 2 man midfield that often looked like a 4-2-4 or a 4-2-1-3 (With Downing some odd 1 midfield player shunted out wide not entirely doing much) and the rest of the forwards crashing into the box and moving space. The fullbacks were exceptionally aggressive today, too.

Suarez did pretty good.

2. Kawklee

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more I look at Downing's pass to Suarez the more I think it was actually meant for Sturridge. A la his 'through ball' for Gerrard that was actually just a misplace pass to Glen Johnson.

It was cute to see him do some 'tekkers' stuff at the end though, after Sturridge had turned and spun every defender about. He did a drag-back-and-pass and I'm sure he felt mighty fine about himself for a while.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  3. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Certainly we can criticize BR for Swansea's squad selection though, right?

Ian Ayre and the owners too. If they'd have purchased Ashley Williams, Chico, and Michu for Liverpool this is how Swansea would play all the time.

There's gotta be something we can argue about otherwise these boards aren't fun.

Didn't see the match but it sounded like "death by football" for Swansea. Suarez is a completely different type of threat when he's not leading the line. And it looks as though Enrique is getting back to his tricks. Hope he can get a consistent run.

liverbird and Twenty26Six repped this.
  4. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Feast or famine. Today it was the feast part. Great day for anybody in red. I'm already impressed with this Countinho lad. Suarez, Coutinho & Sturridge look like the real deal. Too bad Ayre couldn't have put this together at the beginning of the season. Does anybody miss Allen?

5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and, on another unrelated note, does anyone miss Sterling?

Wingtips1 repped this.
  6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's funny, when you think about it, this team lives and dies by that first goal. We always dominate our opponents (in the last 2 months, at least) and we always get our chances but if we don't bury them then we definitely collapse when the opposition gets that goal. Don't know if the stats back this observation but it sure feels like it.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  7. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    course against City we actually went behind and then showed tremendous fight...only for the Reina error.

8. lotsogolazo

lotsogolazo Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. Against lesser sides if we score early, the game is put to bed. If not, the longer the game goes on, the less likely we look to score. It's frustrating that we don't seem to have that desire or quality or whatever it is to push for a goal in the last 10'. There have been a handful of times we've created a good chance in the stoppage time, but it seems like the team goes to sleep between 75-90'.

Against top sides we seem to strum up the fight but against the bottom sides we seem to become more afraid.

9. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    If it were not for Scholesy I would never have experienced a premier league game at Anfield.
    I cannot thank him enough for being so kind and generous. He genuinely cared about me and my cousin and was a reminder to me that there are good people out there. Thank you Scholesy!
    Going to the game. I have been to anfield once to watch Liverpool take on Arsenal a few years back for the FA cup and we lost 2-1 and on that day I was so damn disappointed.
    I have been to White hart Lane to watch Tottenham vs Liverpool and that stadium is how can I put this....shit. We lost that game too.
    This was my first premier league game ever and I came home with a 5-0 win. I just missed the Coutinho goal (Queue at the toilets) but I thoroughly enjoyed everything about my trip there. Anfield has a way to go down to your emotions, the feeling you get singing and cheering for your team cannot be matched. It was just brilliant, if Scholesy could be kind to offer more tickets for those that have not gone take up that offer and soak up the best weekend of your lives.

AwayKit, el-capitano, burning247 and 7 others repped this.
  10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Also like to thank Scholsey for an awesome day.Need to be able to get you a very large drink some time on Wednesday or Thursday.

Fantastic response from the players and the manager from the lat two results, the attackers will rightly get most of the applause but Reina for the last 10 and Carra and Agger for the first 20 deserve praise as well for the keeping the ship steady. Also a lot of praise for Henderson who works his arse off and never stopped pressing the opposition despite us being 4/5 goals up.

Felt sorry for Borini who was very energetic when he came on.

11. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pikas - it sounds like you will be around on Thursday for the game as well?

13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

And the dinner on Wednesday. I'll be stopping over a couple of nights, would of stayed over last night but had to work today. Atmosphere was electric even before the balls went flying in and a few houtrs after the game we were in a bar with some minor Liverpool TV celebrities. Good day.

14. Strikers20

Strikers20 Member

May 4, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll still take Sterling over Downing

Kawklee repped this.
  15. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a look at Coutinho's goal. Sturridge makes a far post run that draws one CB and opens the middle and the wee lad took it well. The three of them will interact quite productively. Color me cautiously optimistic

hubbabubba and lotsogolazo repped this.
  16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well I'm looking forward to Thursday even more now.

(wish I could have made it a day earlier for the dinner - but between work obligations and the tickets already being booked it would have been more expensive to change the flight than the original cost of the ticket itself).

17. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    You were there. I had no idea, it would have been nice to meet you!

18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe you did. You could of been one of the 40 odd thousand i was waiting behind for the toilet ;)

19. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A great day out - and a sunny day as well - for the Reds and the BigSoccer crew in attendance. Admittedly Swansea B didn't give us the pressure and tight marking that has so challenged us this season, but still you play what's put in front of you and the team did very well indeed. The three goals from open play were very nicely worked. Coutinho is certainly skilled, pacy and clever, let's see how he copes with the physicality other sides will show him. A very good start. Feel badly for Borini - he seems awfully fragile.

20. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Have you ever driven an early '90's Fiat? Those things fold up like an accordion in a crash.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  21. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I miss the Allen we had before December, and I still think he's a very important piece to our future. Allen, Henderson, Shelvey, Sterling, Suso, and Coutinho, though fighting for limited places, will all prove invaluable and rather useful, especially for when we do get back into the Champions League.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Pistolero will be 31 and Gerrard will have been out of football for twa year unless Liverpool stops making daft buys.

can you imagine what could have been done with the Downing/Carroll money? £55M = Ashley Young/Aaron Lennon (if you would want either) + Jelavic/P Cisse + Jerome Boateng or Mats Hummels

23. Kawklee

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have been better with Jovetic.

24. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sounds as if you all had a swell time, and what a day for it, too, eh?

25. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    probably, except he's from Serie A ;), the glass capital of world football. his transfer fee would have precluded getting a world-class centerback...