Liverpool All-Time Draft

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by Twenty26Six, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Donald McKinlay

[​IMG]

Donald McKinlay (b. 25 July 1891 - 16 September 1959) was a Scottish defender, who was comfortable anywhere on the park, playing for Liverpool F.C. He enjoyed one of the longest careers of any Liverpool player, making his debut as an 18-year-old in 1910 and playing his last game 18 years later. McKinlay's career ended by injury in 1929.

McKinlay was born in Glasgow, Scotland and played for Newton Swifts and Newton Villa before being signed by Liverpool manager Tom Watson on 27 January 1910 straight from the Scottish junior leagues. McKinlay made his debut in a Football League First Division match on the 20 April 1910 in a remarkable game against Nottm Forest at Anfield, the game finished with 10 goals the Reds coming out on top by 7 goals to 3 with Jack Parkinson netting 4, his first goal for the club came in the first minute of the 4-1 home victory over Spurs on 2 January 1912.

McKinlay's Liverpool career was slow to get under way and he only made 60 appearances before the outbreak of the Great War in 1914. He lost four years of playing due to the war but upon resuming competitive football in 1919 McKinlay's career took off, he was awarded the captaincy of the Reds and lead them to successive League Championship titles in 1922 and 1923. He was regarded as a hard-tackling defender, and was predominantly used as a left-back but displayed such great versatility that he could also operate at wing-half, centre half and right across the forward line.

He stayed at Anfield for 19 years and played over 400 games for the club; he also scored a very creditable 34 goals, for someone who played most of his games in defence, but he was somehow only awarded two international caps by Scotland. The first of which came in a British Championship match at the Racecourse Ground, Wrexham on 4 February 1912 a game that the Scots lost 2-1 to Wales.

One memorable moment for McKinlay happened on 16 January 1926 in the 15th minute of a 2-1 league win at the Boleyn Ground, Upton Park against West Ham. McKinlay was a full 10 yards inside his own half when unleashed a shot that hit the back of the Hammers net!

Upon retirement from football in 1929 McKinlay stayed on in Merseyside, playing the game he loved for amateur side, Prescott Cables. He eventually became a publican in the Liverpool area, where he died, aged 68.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Dietmar Hamann: : Midfield (1999-2006)
    Date of Birth: 27/8/1973
    Birthplace: Waldasson, Bavaria
    Debut : V Sheffield Wednesday, 7th August 1999. Won 2-1
    1st team games: 283
    1st team goals: 11
    Other clubs: FC Wacker Munchen, Bayern Munchen, Newcastle United.
    Honours won with Liverpool: Worthington Cup 2001, FA Cup 2001, UEFA Cup 2001, FA Charity Shield 2001. UEFA Super Cup 2001, Carling Cup 2003, UEFA Champions League 2005, FA Cup 2006

Mr dependable, popular German star Dietmar Hamann left Liverpool in July 2006 to sign for Manchester City bringing to an end seven glorious years at Anfield.

One of the best holding midfield players in Europe, Didi played a major part in the Champions League win over AC Milan when he entered the field as a second half substitute and inspired the team to come back from 3-0 down, when he marked Kaka and enabled Steven Gerrard and company to get the Reds back into the match.

He also came on as a substitute in the FA Cup win over West Ham in 2006 and more than played his part in another trophy win for the Reds.

Didi was signed by Gerard Houllier from Newcastle United for £8 million in 1999 and quickly became a fans favourite and a vital member of the Liverpool team.

Hamann was the holding player in midfield who breaks up attacks and is also a good passer of the ball.

After starting his career at the little known Wacker Munich, where his father was coach, Didi joined their more illustrious city rivals Bayern as a 16-year old in 1989. He made his first team debut two years later and in nine years with the Bavarian giants won two Bundesliga titles, the German Cup and UEFA Cup.

After playing for his country in the 1998 World Cup he joined Newcastle, managed at the time by Kenny Dalglish, for 5.5 million.

Following his spell at St James' Park, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal all declared an interest but in July 1999 he opted to join Gerard Houllier's Liverpool revolution.

The 2000/2001 season saw Hamann prove himself as a man for the big occasion, excelling as the club won a much-celebrated cup treble and a place in the Champions League.

Hamann since became the first Liverpool player since Roger Hunt in 1966 to play in a World Cup Final, but finished on the losing side as Brazil won the 2002 World Cup 2-0. Despite the defeat he was widely regarded as one of Germany's best players during the tournament.

Didi wrote himself into the record books when he became the last man to score at Wembley Stadium, his long range free-kick helping Germany to a 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over England in October 2000.

3. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rounding out my defense...

[​IMG]

Steve Finnan

Club Appearances: 138
    Club Goals: 1

Country Appearances: 50
    Country Goals: 2

Right-back Steve Finnan signed for Liverpool from Premiership rivals Fulham in the summer of 2003.

The former Republic of Ireland international began his career with non-league Welling United before turning professional with Birmingham City in 1995.

After only a handful of appearances he was on his way to Notts County, where he quickly established himself as a first-team regular.

A string of excellent performances prompted Fulham boss Kevin Keegan to pay £600,000 in November 1998.

Finnan, who made his international debut against Greece on April 26, 2000, became a firm fans' favourite at Craven Cottage, helping the Londoners gain promotion to the top flight in 2001.

Mr Consistency had no problems adapting to the Premiership, and in 2001-02 he was selected in the PFA Team of the Year ahead of the likes of Gary Neville.

From there he appeared in all four of Ireland's matches during the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan.

Gerard Houllier was suitably impressed and swooped ahead of the 2003-04 season.

Finnan made his Reds debut in a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea on August 17, 2003. However, a series of injuries disrupted his first year on Merseyside, and the appointment of a new manager in the summer of 2004 prompted some to cast doubt on his future at the club.

The arrival of Spanish defender Josemi did nothing to strengthen the right-back's position, but his ultra-professionalism and composed defending won the day.

A host of players have since arrived to challenge for his slot, but none have come close to ousting the number three.

Finnan started the 2005 Champions League final in Istanbul, though injury meant he was forced to withdraw at half-time.

In May 2007 he featured in his second European Cup final, playing 88 minutes before Benitez introduced Alvaro Arbeloa.

The popular Irishman signed a new two-year deal in August 2007, with the option of a further year beyond that.

Six months later he announced his retirement from international football.

My Team So Far
    -------------------Scott--------------------
    Finnan---Raisbeck----Paisley---Hughes (C)
    Callaghan-Gerrard----Molby-----------LM
    -----------St. John----Beardsley-----------

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and my team so far:

-------------------Goalie to be named--------
    ---Byrne----Lawrence----Yeats-----Lindsay
    ---Case----McAllister----Hamann---Liddell
    -----------Owen----Hunt-----------

5. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I was hoping Didi would drop to me. Good pick Kopite.

[​IMG]
    Jamie Redknapp

Date of Birth: 25/06/1973
    Birthplace: Barton on Sea
    Debut : 23rd October 1991 v Auxerre (a) UEFA Cup 2nd round 1st leg
    1st team games: 308
    1st team goals: 41

Honours with Liverpool: Coca Cola Cup 1995

Profile from LFC.TV
    Despite his Liverpool career being hampered by injury problems Jamie Redknapp will be remembered as one of the most popular players to ever serve the club.
    Kenny Dalglish's last major signing as manager in January 1991, Redknapp began his career under the watchful eye of father Harry at AFC Bournemouth.

He was only 17 when he arrived at Anfield and the £350,000 fee was one of the highest paid for a teenager at the time. Nine months later he became the youngest Liverpool player to appear in European competition when he made his Reds debut against Auxerre in the UEFA Cup.

Redknapp went on to establish himself as a regular in the centre of midfield during the managerial reign of Graeme Souness and, after winning a Coca-Cola Cup winners medal in 1995, won his first England cap. After playing a brief part in Euro 96, injury unfortunately ruled him out of both the World Cup in France 98 and Euro 2000.

At the start of the 1999/2000 season he was named Liverpool captain but a knee injury forced him to sit out the majority of the campaign and in a bid to cure his long standing injury troubles he underwent knee surgery in America.

Unfortunately, he missed out on the memorable climax to the 2000/2001 treble-winning season but, as club captain, he went up to receive the FA Cup with Robbie Fowler at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

He made his comeback from injury during the pre-season tour before the 2001/2002 season and received an amazing reception during the Far East tour of Singapore and Thailand.

Tragically, just when it looked like he was back, injury struck again and although he fought back once more the end of his Liverpool career was in sight.

In October 2001 he played and scored in a 2-0 win at Charlton Athletic. It was to be his last game for the club.

Speculation regarding his future became rife and it was no surprise when he finally severed ties with the Reds on 16 April 2002, joining Tottenham Hotspur on a Bosman free transfer.

His leaving of Liverpool was mourned by team-mates and fans alike.

Injuries may have prevented Jamie from scaling the heights he should have done at Anfield but his popularity never once waned and it was with the best wishes of everyone that he moved to White Hart Lane. Despite his Liverpool career being hampered by injury problems Jamie Redknapp will be remembered as one of the most popular players to ever serve the club.

Redknapp then moved to play for his dad Harry at Southampton in the 2004/05 season before he was forced to retire from the game due to injury. He is now a pundit for Sky Sports.

6. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    My team as of now....

-------------------------------Tommy Lawrence-----------------------------

-----Steve Nicol----Tommy Smith----Sami Hyypia----Ronnie Moran-----

-Insert Red here---Ronnie Whelan--Jamie Redknapp---Steve Heighway-

-------------------------Ian Rush---------Kevin Keegan--------------------

7. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Houghton
    http://classic.liverpoolway.co.uk/a-zofplayers/e-h/houghton.jpeg

Date of Birth: 09-01-1962
    Birthplace: Glasgow
    Debut : 24th October 1987 v Luton Town (A) Football League Division One: Won 1-0
    1st team games: 203
    1st team goals: 38
    Other clubs: West Ham United, Fulham, Oxford United, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace
    International caps while with Liverpool: 34
    International goals while with Liverpool:
    Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1987/88 & 1989/90, FA Cup 1989 & 1992
    Republic of Ireland international midfielder Ray Houghton was signed by Kenny Dalglish from Oxford United in October 1987 for £800,000, and he was to play a pivotal role in one of the best Reds sides to grace Anfield featuring a forward line of Peter Beardsley, John Barnes and John Aldridge.

Of the Houghton signing, player-manager Dalglish said: I’ve been interested in Ray for some time, and if you know what you want, the player is worth waiting for. Good players don’t come along too often, and when they do you have to try to sign them.”

After being given a free transfer by West Ham after just one appearance for the Hammers, Glasgow-born Houghton bounced back at Fulham in 1982. He then moved to Oxford in 1985 and played alongside John Aldridge. In his first season at the Manor Ground, Houghton scored at Wembley as Oxford won the Milk Cup Final at Wembley, beating Queens Park Rangers 3-0.

His international career took off too. Qualifying for the Republic of Ireland through his father, Houghton won the first of his 62 caps in a friendly against Wales in Dublin during March 1986.

The move to Anfield followed and Houghton made his Liverpool debut in a testimonial in Scotland for Dundee stalwart George McGeachie and scored in a 4-0 win. He made his full Reds debut the following Saturday on October 24th, 1997, on the plastic pitch at Kenilworth Road in Liverpool’s 1-0 win at Luton Town.

Houghton’s first goal for the Reds was in a 1-1 draw at Wimbledon. Coming on as a substitute for Craig Johnston, Houghton beat three defenders before slotting past Dave Beasant. Houghton then became a regular on the right of midfield and endeared himself to the Reds fans when he scored a superb header against Everton from a John Barnes cross, in the 1-0 FA Cup 5th Round win at Goodison Park.

He also scored in the famous 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest at Anfield on April 13th, 1988, as Liverpool went on to win the Division One Championship, but slipped up on a second double in the FA Cup Final against Wimbledon. Houghton ended his first season at Anfield with seven goals in 35 games.

At the end of the 1987-88 season Houghton was off to the European Championships in Germany, and scored with a header in a 1-0 win over an England side containing Anfield teammates John Barnes and Peter Beardsley.

Houghton’s first full season at Anfield was one of tragedy with the Hillsborough disaster claiming the lives of 96 Liverpool supporters. He played in the 1989 FA Cup win over Everton at Wembley only for the Reds to be denied a double again, this time by Arsenal in a dramatic last game at Anfield.

In his diary of the 1988-89 season, speaking about the disaster Houghton said: “I am not a Scouser but I felt I belonged. I always will now.”

The following season saw Liverpool regain the title but Houghton’s role was restricted with just 16 league appearances due to a back injury, but he still qualified for a Championship medal and was fit to play in the 1990 World Cup with the Republic of Ireland.

The 1990-91 season was the last for Kenny Dalglish as manager of Liverpool, and under Graeme Souness Houghton’s Liverpool career was coming to an end.

Houghton helped Liverpool to win the FA Cup, beating Sunderland 2-0 at Wembley in 1992 and was the Reds second top scorer behind Dean Saunders with 12 goals from 52 appearances.

Houghton won the Liverpool Player of the Year award and was in the top six for PFA Player of the Year for season 1991-92, his last at Anfield. However, the FA Cup Final was to be Houghton’s last in a red shirt, and the following season his number eight jersey went to Paul Stewart!

In a dispute over a pay increase, sadly the Reds Player of the Year Houghton was sold by Graeme Souness to Aston Villa in the summer of 1992 for £825,000.

Houghton is a player who will always be remembered by Liverpool fans as a workaholic who always gave 100 per cent. He could score goals, create goals and never gave defenders a moments peace, and will also be remembered as the final piece in the jig-saw for Kenny Dalglish’s wonderful 1987-88 championship winning side.

After life at Anfield, he went on to produce good performances for Villa, winning a League Cup winners medal in 1994, and played in the 1994 World Cup in the USA, where he scored in the opening 1-0 defeat of Italy. After a spell at Reading, Houghton is now coach at Crystal Palace.

[youtube]d-opgMk_FNA[/youtube]

My team so far...

Pepe Reina (GK)
    Rob Jones (FB) - Alan Hansen (CB) - Gary Gillespie (DF)
    Graeme Souness (CM)
    Ray Houghton (AM) - Terry McDermott (AM) - Peter Thompson (LW)
    John Aldridge (CF) - Kenny Dalglish (FW)

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grinners is up with two picks...

Question:
    Do we want one sub or two for our teams? Maybe, we could use the thirteenth round to pick managers? [For those who don't have a manager playing. :) ]

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Both Craig Johnston and Ray Houghton were on my short list if I hadn't have got Jimmy Case earlier. Nice picks.

I say two subs, the manager idea is a separate discussion - one round draft.

11. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See I knew you were gonna say that and that's why I am a genius.

I wouldn't mind having two subs, but one sub is also fine.

12. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. I was waiting as long as I could to take my RM. I figured that "in a pinch" I could move over Terry Mac or select a lesser known guy.

It's a little early for this, but I'm shocked at some of the guys that _haven't_ been picked. I think it comes down to excellent competition in those spots.

13. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I have a long list of guys not yet taken ... but I have my 10 outfield players, and i am very happy with my choices.

That is why I want two subs as I have such a long list still to choose from!!

14. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    John Toshack OBE

"Toshack, Keegan, one nil!" David Coleman (football commentator), in regards to Toshack and Keegan's almost telepathic partnership.

[​IMG]

Personal Details

Full name: John Benjamin Toshack OBE
    DOB: 22 March 1949
    Birth place: Cardiff, Wales
    Position: centre-forward
    Strengths: intelligence, heading, strength, knock downs/assists
    Liverpool League Debut: 14th November 1970 v Coventry City (Anfield), English League Division One: draw 0-0

Playing Career

Liverpool - all comps
    Liverpool (1970-78) - 246 (96)

Other clubs
    Cardiff City (1966-70) - 162 (74)
    Swansea City (1978-84) - 63 (25)

National Team
    Wales (1969-80) - 40 (12)

Honours

Liverpool
    League championship (1972/73, 1975/76, 1976/77)
    FA Cup (1973/74)
    UEFA Cup (1972/73, 1975/76)
    Charity Shield (1976)
    European Super Cup (1977)

Individual
    #34 in 100 Players Who Shook the Kop
    Received OBE (1983) for services to football

Transfer

Cardiff City to Liverpool for £110,000, 11 November 1970

John Toshack started his footballing career with Cardiff City FC, signing for them as a 16 year old. After four years at Cardiff City, he was signed by Bill Shankly for Liverpool FC on the 11 November 1970. Already a full international, Shankly paid £110,000 for the giant striker.

Toshack made his debut 3 days later in the goalless league draw with Coventry City at Anfield. His first goal came a week later in a remarkable Merseyside derby at Anfield. With the game 0-0 at half-time Everton thundered into a 2-0 lead just after the start of the second half. 69 minutes in Steve Heighway pulled a goal back, this seemed to spring the Reds into life, Toshack's goal in the 76th minute completely turned the game around, then when Chris Lawler prodded home the 84th minute winner the fans almost lifted the roof off the Kop. Toshack's goal instantly made him a hit amongst the Anfield faithful, which was a good thing as they had initially voiced their concerns in paying so much for the Welshman.

In 1971, Kevin Keegan joined Liverpool from Scunthorpe United and he and Toshack struck up an almost telepathic partnership with Toshack winning everything in the air and Keegan finishing the knock downs. They were a delight for commentators as their names rolled off the tongue easily, one famous piece of commentary by David Coleman went "Toshack, Keegan, one nil!" Such was their fame, the football magazine Shoot likened them to the comic book crimebusters Batman and Robin, even taking a photograph of the pair dressed in the Dynamic Duo's costumes. By the time Keegan left for German side Hamburg SV he had scored exactly 100 goals with a great percentage of them being set up by Toshack.

During his time with Liverpool Toshack scored 96 goals, he was part of the team that won the Football League Championship in 1973, 1976 and 1977, the FA Cup in 1974 and the UEFA Cup in 1973 and 1976. He played for the Welsh national football team at schoolboy, under-23 and full international level earning 40 caps and scoring 12 goals, including a hat trick against Scotland in the 1979 British Home Championship. However, his playing career was blighted by injuries and he was transferred to Swansea City as player-manager in 1978 (he already passed his coaching badge at the age of 18), where he succeeded Harry Griffiths.

Information

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=429

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/toshack/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Toshack

Video, John Toshack #34, 100 Players Who Shook The Kop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v3djluRIFw

15. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    David "Supersub" Fairclough

[​IMG]

Personal Details

Full name: David Fairclough
    Nickname: Supersub
    DOB: 5 January 1957
    Birth place: Liverpool, England
    Position: striker
    Strengths: pace, shooting power, unpreditability
    Liverpool League Debut: 1st November 1975 v Middlesbrough (Ayresome Park), English League Division One: won 1-0

Playing Career

Liverpool - all comps
    Liverpool (1974-83) - 153 (55)

Other clubs
    Toronto Blizzard (1983-84)
    Luzern (1984-85)
    Norwich City (1985)
    Oldham Athletic (1985-86)
    Beveren (1986-89)
    Tranmere Rovers (1989-90)
    Wigan Athletic (1990-91)

Honours

Liverpool
    League championship (1975/76, 1976/77, 1979/80)
    European Cup (1976/77, 1977/78)
    UEFA Cup (1975/76)
    League Cup (1982/83)
    Charity Shield (1976, 1977, 1979, 1980)
    European Super Cup (1977)

Individual
    #18 in 100 Players Who Shook the Kop

English football's prototype 'super sub', renowned for his memorable scoring exploits after stepping off the bench. The label is one that David Fairclough never relished but has learned to live with as he reflects on his massive medal haul.

The flame-haired Liverpool-born raider joined the club during the Bill Shankly era but exploded onto the big stage during Bob Paisley's management reign. During his debut season of 1975-76 he hit seven goals in 14 League appearances - nine of them as substitute - to help land the title.

Fairclough's pace and shooting power, which brought him 55 goals, tested the finest defences. His golden moment came in March 1977 when, with time running out, he went on and scored the winner against crack French side St Etienne in the European Cup quarter final second leg.

Fairclough's own favourite goal also came as a substitute at Anfield a year earlier when he beat six Everton defenders before firing past goalkeeper Dai Davies to win the Mersey derby. Yet despite his reputation Fairclough's 61 stints as a substitute were eclipsed by his 92 Liverpool starts. He joined Swiss club Lucerne in 1983, the first of a batch of clubs at home and abroad.

Information

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=298

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/fairclough/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Fairclough

Video, David Fairclough #18, 100 Players Who Shook The Kop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfSExsXVLg0

16. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    My team so far...however their are many possible lineup/system changes depending on my next picks.

___________Clemence___________

____Neal______CB____A.Kennedy__

______McMahon____CM__________

Goddard_____Barnes_____R.Kennedy

______Toshack____Chambers______

Bench: Lawler, Fairclough

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I so wanted Fairclough and Toshack on my bench, ya bastard!!!

18. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    :eek: ;)

20. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    Probably some better players still available, but this is arguably my favorite player ever to play. Strange, I know, but I used to idolize him.

[​IMG]
    Patrik Berger

Date of Birth: 10/11/1973
    Birthplace: Prague
    Debut : 7th September 1996 v Southampton (H) Premiership
    1st team games: 196
    1st team goals: 35

Honours with Liverpool: FA Cup 2001, UEFA Cup 2001, FA Charity Shield 2001

Profile from LFC.TV
    Czech Patrik Berger ended a seven-year association with Liverpool when he moved to Premiership new boys Portsmouth in the summer of 2003, after his Anfield contract expired.

He joined Liverpool after impressing for the Czech Republic against Italy at Anfield just after Euro 96 and made his debut as a substitute in a 2-1 victory over Southampton at Anfield on September 7th, 1996. He then came off the bench to score twice in a 3-0 win at Leicester, and celebrated his first start for Liverpool by scoring twice in a 5-1 win over Chelsea at Anfield.

A native of Prague, he started out at Sparta Prague but didn't sign a professional contract with them. It was with his local club Slavia, alongside Vladimir Smicer, where Berger first made his name. His progress attracted the attention of Borussia Dortmund and in 1995 he moved to Germany, where he was a member of Dortmund's Bundesliga championship winning side the following season. A Czech Republic international, who made his debut in 1993, Berger starred in Euro 96 and scored from the penalty spot in the 2-1 final defeat by Germany at Wembley.

He was signed for Liverpool by Roy Evans shortly afterwards, in a 3.2 million deal. A renowned dead ball specialist, Berger's all-action style and endless running endeared him to the hearts of Liverpool supporters. At one stage though it looked like his Anfield career could have been coming to an end and a move to Roma seemed imminent.

However, under the guidance of Gerard Houllier his game blossomed again and, until injury struck, he was proving himself a regular and consistent performer for the Reds. It was following a knee injury sustained at Elland Road that Berger was operated on in America by Dr Richard Steadman and he returned to first team action in time to play his part in Liverpool's FA and UEFA Cup successes. His pass to Michael Owen for the winning goal in the 2001 FA Cup Final against Arsenal, will never be forgotten by Reds fans.

22. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Berger's a great pick. At this stage of the game, he's a steal.

Edit: You're up Dakota. Thursday night isn't a drinking night oot dare eez et? ;)

23. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it is. Admiral Nelson is helping me write this and my paper. Social drinking for me tonight. I have to go with this guy. There may be more consistent or better players left, but he was my favorite player at the club when he was there behind Gerrard and Carragher.

[​IMG]

Luis Javier Garcia Sanz

Club Appearances: 121
    Club Goals: 30

Country Appearances: 18
    Country Goals: 4

Garcia was signed by Rafael Benítez for Liverpool in August 2004 for a fee of £6 million (Benítez coached him when they were at Tenerife together). He was bought essentially as a cut-price replacement for El Hadji Diouf, in the attacking midfield role. He proved much more than a stand-in, and became a key component of Liverpool's attacking unit. He made his Premiership debut against Bolton Wanderers on 29 August 2004, a game that Liverpool lost 1–0, although García had an apparently legitimate goal ruled out for offside.

His first goal in a Liverpool shirt came against West Bromwich Albion at Anfield in September 2004. He went on to score seven more league goals that season, including the winner in the Merseyside derby on 20 March 2005.

He was also a key player in Liverpool's successful 2005 Champions League campaign, netting the winning goals against Juventus (an unstoppable left footed shot which curled over Gianluigi Buffon, one of the best goals in the competition) and Chelsea (a controversial goal in the fourth minute[2]), in the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively. He took part in the Champions league final victory over A.C. Milan on 25 May 2005, finishing with 13 goals in all competitions in his first season in English football.

García did not make so much of an impact in the 2005-06 season, although he weighed in with some vital goals including a lofted finish against Chelsea to put them out of the FA Cup in the semi-finals. García was suspended for the 2006 FA Cup win against West Ham, having been sent off in a Premier League game just days after his semi-final winner, ironically against West Ham, Liverpool's opponents in the final.

On 10 January 2007 following the 3-6 loss to Arsenal in the Carling Cup, it was confirmed by the club that Garcia had ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the game, and would be out for at least six months, ruling him out for the rest of the 2006-7 season[3]. Garcia underwent an operation on Saturday 13 January at the Clinica del Pilar in Barcelona, under surgeon Ramon Cugat, who has previously operated on stars such as Samuel Eto'o and Xavi.[4] This would turn out to be Garcia's final appearance in a Liverpool shirt.

Replacing Anfield star Michael Owen as Liverpool 'number 10' was always going to be tough for a new signing, and despite an inconsistent first season, García firmly became a fan favourite. While many considered him a frustrating player for losing the ball often, they recognized his ability as a match-winner, underlined with crucial goals against Juventus and Chelsea. He has been something of a bogeyman for the latter, with decisive goals against them in the 2004–05 UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg and the 2005–06 FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford, though he has never scored against Chelsea in the league. His positive relationship with the fans is further underlined by the song frequently sung in his honor, to the tune of "You Are My Sunshine." Garcia ranked 24th in the 100 Players Who Shook The Kop online poll, with Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard being the only current squad players ranked higher.

On August 21st 2007 liverpoolfc.tv published a letter from Luis to the fans to say goodbye and thank them for their support over his time at the club, which received hundreds and hundreds of replies from fans thanking him and wishing him the best at Atletico Madrid.

[youtube]LoyWmmbHw4Q[/youtube]

24. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team now...

----------------Scott--------------------
    Finnan--Raisbeck--Paisley--Hughes(C)
    Callaghan--Molby---Gerrard---Garcia
    ----------Beardsley--St. John---------

What they would look/play like on the field...

-----------------------Scott-------------------------
    ---------Finnan-----Raisbeck---Paisley------------
    ----------------------------------------------Hughes
    ----------------------Molby--------------------------
    Callaghan----------------------Gerrard-------------
    ------------------------------------------Garcia------
    ------------Beardley---------------------------------
    ----------------------St. John------------------------

25. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia