Liverpool All-Time Draft

Discussion in 'Liverpool FC History' started by Twenty26Six, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Since i posted i have thought of a few players/ideas so i should be fine...looks like your playing CB Mr.Lawrence ;)

2. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    Sorry, didn't realize this was on me. I suppose I will finish off my back line here.

[​IMG]
    Ronnie Moran

Date of Birth: 28-02-1934
    Birthplace: Crosby
    Debut : 22nd November 1952 v Derby County (A) Football League Division One
    1st team games: 379
    1st team goals: 16
    Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1963/64, Second Division Championship 1961/62

Profile from LFC.TV
    A Liverpool legend, Ronnie Moran has just about filled every role there is at Anfield.

Originally a left back Moran signed professional terms at Liverpool in January 1952 before making his debut in a 3-2 defeat at Derby County on November 22, 1952.

It was in season 1955-56 that Moran established himself as Liverpool's first choice- number three. The Reds were languishing in the Second Division at this time but Moran, a good marker who was rarely beaten by a winger for pace and was also something of a penalty expert, proved himself a consistent performer and he missed only six games between 1955 and 1959.

He was rewarded for his sterling service towards the latter part of the decade when he was handed the club captaincy. In 1961/62, after a lengthy spell on the sidelines, he played 16 games as the Reds finally regained their top-flight status and two seasons later was part of the Division One Championship winning side.

Injury problems then began to set in and he missed out to Gerry Byrne for the left back slot in the 1965 FA Cup Final win over Leeds United. He did, however, play in the famous Anfield victory over Internazionale three days later before playing his last competitive game for the Reds in the awesome setting of the San Siro stadium when Liverpool were controversially beaten in the second leg of the European Cup semi-final.

Moran retired from playing during the 1968-69 season and joined Bill Shankly's coaching staff, where he became a part of the famous Boot Room team. In 1972/73, in his first season as reserve team trainer, he guided the Reds second string to the Central League Championship.

Moran became a vital ingredient in the Liverpool success story with his shrewd knowledge of the game and the ability to get the best out of the players. He was a fine, loyal servant working under Shankly, Bob Paisley, and then Kenny Dalglish.

He became famous on the bench for his loud voice shouting instructions to the players which could be heard in the packed Kop.

When Dalglish sensationally announced his resignation as manager in 1991, Moran was installed as caretaker boss, a role he occupied for 10 games. However, he had placed on record he didn't want the job full-time and he stood down when Graeme Souness was appointed to the hottest seat in football, as successor to Kenny.

Moran remained on the coaching staff under Souness and then under friend Roy Evans when he took over as manager.

Moran announced his retirement from football and left Liverpool in 1998. He enjoyed a richly deserved testimonial match against Celtic in 2000, and is still a regular visitor to Anfield on matchdays.

My completed back line looks like this...
    -Steve Nicol-----Tommy Smith-----Sami Hyypia-----Ronnie Moran-

3. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Rob Jones
    The Best We Never Had

Rob Jones : Right Back (1991-1999)
    Date of Birth: 05-11-71
    Birthplace: Wrexham
    Debut : 6th October 1991 v Manchester United (A) Football League Division One: Drew 0-0
    1st team games: 243
    1st team goals: 0
    Other clubs: Crewe Alexandra and West Ham United
    International caps while with Liverpool: 8 (England)
    International goals while with Liverpool:
    Honours with Liverpool: FA Cup 1992; Coca Cola Cup 1995

Graeme Souness' reign as Liverpool manager was severely criticised but let it be said that he did sign right back Rob Jones for a bargain �300,000 from Crewe Alexandra in 1991.

Making his Reds debut at Old Trafford of all places, Jones performance against Manchester United is still to this day remembered by Liverpool supporters. Nothing significant in the actual game you might say as it finished 0-0 but his marking of Ryan Giggs was simply magnificent as the Welsh international hardly got a kick. Indeed Giggs was full of praise for the Reds defender by rating him as his most difficult opponent. High praise indeed.

Jones went on to finish a highly impressive first season by playing in the 1992 FA Cup victory over Sunderland at Wembley. International honours followed with England and he made a superb debut in the 2-0 win over France at Wembley.

However, there was injury heartbreak for Jones when he was forced to pull out of Graham Taylor's squad for the 1992 European Championships. It was a huge loss for the player and for the England team.

Over the next few years Jones established himself as the best right back in England with a series of energetic and powerful display's down the right, linking brilliantly with Steve McManaman, and it came something of a big surprise when he was left out of the England team for the vital World Cup qualifier with Holland in 1993, which England lost in controversial circumstances.

When new manager Roy Evans introduced the wing back system Jones filled it perfectly and added another medal to his collection when he played in the 1995 Coca Cola League Cup win over Bolton Wanderers at Wembley.

The following season Evans signed Jason McAteer from Bolton and he took the right wing back role with Jones switched to the left. It was a role Jones disliked but such was his professionalism he got on with the job without making a fuss.

Sadly injury then set in with back problems that restricted his appearances to just three in the 1996-97 season. He was released in May 1999 and tried his luck at West Ham United but his back problems continued to be a major problem and he was forced to retire from the game.

4. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to have slipped my attention that Mr. Grinners has picked up two keepers. Clever tactics or dodgy alcohol?

If anyone wants to trade him an outfield player for one of his keepers, I will sanction it. Just make sure you PM me with the details first. I will edit the thread accordingly.

5. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    HARRY CHAMBERS

[​IMG]

Personal Details

Full name: Henry Chambers
    Nickname: Harry, Smiler
    Date of birth: 17 December 1896
    Birth place: Willington Quay, Northumberland, England
    Date of death: 29 June 1949
    Aged: 52
    Place of death: Shrewsbury, England
    Position: Striker, inside-left forward
    Strengths: finishing, strength and skill with the ball
    Liverpool League Debut: 30 August 1919 v Bradford (Valley Parade), Football League Division One: won 3-1...Chambers scored
    International debut: 14 March 1921 v Wales (Ninian Park), British Championship match: drew 0-0

Playing Career

Youth clubs
    Willington United Methodists
    North Shields Athletic

Liverpool - all comps
    Liverpool (1915-28) - 338 (151)...although Chambers was signed in 1915, he was unable to make his debut until the 1919/20 due to the suspension of league football, which was caused by the outbreak of the First World War between 1914 and 1918.

National team
    England (1921-23) - 8 (5)

Other clubs
    West Brom (1928-29)
    Oakengates Town (1929-33)
    Hereford United (1933-34)

Honours

Liverpool
    League championship (1921/22 and 1922/23)

England
    1921-1923 8 caps 5 goals

Individual
    #92 in the poll "100 Players Who Shook The Kop"

Born in Willinton Quay, Northumberland, England, Henry 'Harry' Chambers played for North Shields Athletic before he was signed by Liverpool manager Tom Watson in April 1915. Unfortunately, he signed just before the suspension of league football due to the outbreak of the First World War and had wait 4 years to make his debut, a game that Liverpool won 3-1 against Bradford and in which Chambers opened his Anfield goalscoring account.

After scoring on his debut he went on to establish himself as the undisputed goal king of Anfield in the immediate post-war years. Topping the club's goalscoring charts for the next five seasons, his shooting prowess was instrumental in Liverpool winning back-to-back League Championships in 1922 and 1923. He scored 41 times in 72 appearances during this spell averaging a goal every 1¾ games. In total he scored 151 goals in 338 appearances for Liverpool including a memorable hat-trick in a 5-1 win over Mersey rivals Everton at Anfield in October 1922.

The left-footer nicknamed 'Smiler' was selected by England on 8 occasions scoring 5 goals. His first goal for his country came in a 2-0 friendly victory over Belgium at the Oscar Bossaert Stadion in Brussels on the 21 May 1921. Chambers best game for his country came on the 22 October 1921 in a British Championship match at The Hawthorns against Ireland, when he scored both goals in the 2-0 victory.

Information

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=572

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/chambers/

Video - Chris Lawler, 100 Players Who Shook The Kop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F-nuvJ3zBc

6. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    ARTHUR GODDARD

[​IMG]

Personal Details

Full name: Arthur Milton Goddard
    Nickname: Graceful Arthur
    Date of birth: 1876
    Birth place: Heaton Norris, Stockport, Cheshire, England
    Date of death: 1960
    Aged: 84
    Place of death: Liverpool, England
    Position: right-winger
    Strengths: consistency, durability, pace
    Liverpool League Debut: 8th March 1902 v Wolverhampton Wanderers (Molineux), Football League Division One: Lost 1-3

Playing Career

Liverpool - all comps
    Liverpool (1902-14) - 415 (80)

Other clubs
    Heaton Norris Albion (1895-97)
    Stockport County (1897-99)
    Glossop North End (1899-1902)
    Cardiff City (1914)

Honours

Liverpool
    League championship (1905/06)
    2nd Division championship (1904/05)

Individual
    Liverpool Captain

A reliable, consistent performer, Arthur Goddard was a fast, long-serving right-winger in the opening years of the 20th Century. Born at Heaton Norris near Stockport he played junior football before joining his local club Stockport County and then Glossop North End prior to signing for Liverpool in 1901-02.
    He was a regular for 12 seasons and captained Liverpool, a responsibility which was uncommon for a winger. Such was Goddard's dependability that in his first nine seasons at Anfield he missed only 25 of Liverpool's 330 League games, a period in which he made 23 successive FA Cup appearances.

His pace and skill on the flank earned him three representative appearances for the Football League and his smooth, flowing style prompted supporters to dub him "Graceful Arthur". Goddard won Second and First Division championship medals in consecutive seasons in 1904-05 and 1905-06 and made a total of 415 League and Cup appearances for Liverpool, scoring 80 goals.

His tremendous service to the club was recognised with a testimonial match in 1914 which raised the then substantial sum of £250, helping to set him up in business on Merseyside when he retired from the game following a period with Cardiff City.

Information

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=634

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/goddard/

7. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Gary Gillespie

Gary Gillespie : Defender (1983-91)
    Date of Birth: 05-07-1960
    Birthplace: Bonnybridge (Scotland)
    Debut : 24th September 1984 v Stockport County (A) Milk Cup: Won 2-0
    1st team games: 212
    1st team goals: 16
    Other clubs: Falkirk, Coventry City (twice), Celtic
    International caps while with Liverpool: 13 (Scotland)
    Honours with Liverpool: First Division Championship 1985/86, 1987/88 & 1989/90

The Bonnybridge-born Scotland centre back became the youngest captain in world professional football when he skippered his local club Falkirk at the tender age of 17 and Coventry paid £75,000 to sign him in 1978 before his 18th birthday.

When Joe Fagan succeeded Bob Paisley as Liverpool manager in the summer of 1983 he made Gillespie his first transfer capture at a cost of £325,000. There were two massive obstacles blocking his path to regular first team football: those magnificent defenders Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson. He was also hit by a string of injuries.

In his first season at Anfield, when Liverpool scooped the first treble in English football history by landing the League, European Cup and League Cup, Gillespie made just a single senior appearance and 22 the following season.

But the cultured defender had 24 outings in Liverpool's League and FA Cup double-winning season of 1985-86 under Kenny Dalglish and also figured in the championship campaigns of 1987-88 (playing in 35 of the 40 games) and 1990. After Graeme Souness' arrival as manager Gillespie moved to his boyhood favourites Celtic for £925,000 in 1991, later re-joining Coventry.

[youtube]frTM6OTEUGk[/youtube]

8. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rob Jones was who I was deciding between when I chose Byrne. Nice pick 20-26-6.

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank You. Thank You. :)

10. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Kopite and Ghostface...would either of you like Tommy Lawrence, given neither of you have a GK in your squad yet and their isnt a better GK than Lawrence left.

11. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can also trade you open draft picks, if you like. They might not want to give up any previously picked players. So, that might be better.

12. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for the offer, but I have two goalies on my short list that I prefer to the "flying pig".

13. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sander Westerveld and Scott Carson? ;)

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quiet now, you will spoil my evil plan :)

15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Aaaaah, the old Pegguy Arphexad up the sleeve trick ;)

16. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I'd give you my next pick for him if you're interested. Or I wouldn't mind a little Heighway/Clemence swap :D.

17. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I will take up that first offer...if you are still up for it...Lawrence for your next pick.

18. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So who is up, Ghostface or have we had a trade?

19. Ghostface

Ghostface New Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    Sorry, yeah Grinners sounds like a deal. It is on you now I believe.

20. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Steve McMahon

"When Steve McMahon plays well, I always think that Liverpool will play well." Bob Paisley

[​IMG]

Personal Details

Full name: Stephen Joseph McMahon
    DOB: 20 August 1961
    Birth place: Liverpool, England
    Position: central midfield
    Strengths: passing, tackling, aggression and all-round influence on the team
    Liverpool League Debut: 14th September 1985 v Oxford United (Manor Ground), Football League Division One: draw 2-2

Playing Career

Liverpool - all comps
    Liverpool (1985-91) - 276 (50)

Other clubs
    Everton (1979-83)
    Aston Villa (1983-85)
    Manchester City (1991-94)
    Swindon Town (1994-98)

National Team
    England (1988-91) - 17 (0)

Honours

Liverpool
    League championship (1985/86, 1987/88, 1989/90)
    FA Cup (1985/86, 1988/89)
    Charity Shield (1986/87, 1988/89, 1989/90, 1990/91)

Individual
    3rd in Footballer of the Year (1987/88)
    #42 in 100 Players Who Shook the Kop

Transfer

Aston Villa to Liverpool for £350,000, 12 September 1985

Steve McMahon started out as a ball-boy at Goodison Park and eventually joined his boyhood heroes Everton. When time was to move on he chose Aston Villa in a 300,000 pounds deal over Liverpool. He didn't dare to do the virtually impossible to move straight from the blue half of Liverpool to the red.

Since Souness left the club, a playmaker of similar force was needed, and McMahon was the closest thing the club had ever come to replacing the fiery Scotsman. He was Kenny Dalglish's first signing and proved a brilliant acquisition. Macca was ruthless in the middle, could score goals when needed and displayed sorely missed leadership qualities in the engine room.

His game prospered in 1987/88, 3rd place in the vote for Footballer of the year. A perfect workhorse for the more glitzy talents of Barnes and Beardsley, though he could conjure up magic on his own.

Information

http://www.lfchistory.net/player_profile.asp?player_id=372

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/past_players/players/mcmahon/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McMahon

Video, Steve McMahon #42, 100 Players Who Shook The Kop

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8EViHmLCDqI

21. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you said that you weren't going to take him?! ;)

22. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My pick right?

Sentimental one more than anything, I got myself a player-manager.

[​IMG]

Bob Paisley OBE

BOB PAISLEY was a reluctant genius. He never wanted to go into management. But having been persuaded to take command of Liverpool he proceeded to surpass the achievements of every manager in the entire history of British football.
    The humble son of the North East, always more at ease in the wings than on centre stage, was indisputably Manager of the Millennium. And as we approach the 21st Century perhaps his record will stand forever as a tribute to his towering feats.

Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen and Graeme Souness, the world class Scottish trio signed by Paisley and a threesome not given to hyperbole, unhesitatingly place him at the management summit.

"There was only one Bob Paisley and he was the greatest of them all," says Dalglish. "He went through the card in football. He played for Liverpool, he treated the players, he coached them, he managed them and then he became a director."

"He could tell if someone was injured and what the problem was just by watching them walk a few paces. He was never boastful but had great football knowledge. I owe Bob more than I owe anybody else in the game. There will never be another like him."

Hansen agrees, declaring: "I go by records and Bob Paisley is the No.1 manager ever."

While Souness salutes him thus: "When you talk of great managers there's one man at the top of the list and that's Bob Paisley."

Paisley's amazing collection of 19 trophies in nine seasons makes you rub your eyes in wonder. It is the supreme testimony to his magnificent response to what many believed was Mission Impossible..

...After all, ask pundits and public alike, how could anybody follow the legend of Shankly?

When Shanks dropped the bombshell and retired in July 1974 Paisley was the man Liverpool wanted to succeed him. He had been at Shankly's shoulder since the great Scot crossed the Pennines from Huddersfield to transform Anfield's fortunes in December 1959. And his own connection with Liverpool stretched back a further two decades to his arrival at Anfield as a 20-year old left-half on May 8, 1939 for a £10 signing-on fee and weekly wage of £5.

Paisley, born the son of a miner in the County Durham village of Hetton-le-Hole on January 23, 1919, had signed the transfer forms in the Sunderland board room after helping Bishop Auckland beat Willington 3-0 to lift the FA Amateur Cup. During his childhood, spent in a harsh economic climate, he had a talent for absorbing knowledge and advice. His widow Jessie recalls: "Bob always tried to remember what his headmaster told him. That if you speak softly people will try to listen to what you're saying. If you shout they're liable to walk away and not take it in."

Such homespun psychology would serve Paisley invaluably during his management years when Europe bowed to the stocky figure in a flat cap that belied a masterful football brain. Wartime service in Egypt and the western desert delayed Paisley's League debut as a Liverpool player until 1946-47 when he won the first of 10 championship medals in his various Anfield roles in a team that included Scotland and Great Britain star Billy Liddell and centre forward Albert Stubbins.

And despite being ready to leave the club after being dropped by the directors who picked the team for the 1950 FA Cup Final he played on to captain the side and hung up his boots after Liverpool's relegation in 1954 to become reserve team trainer. He also became a renowned, self-taught physiotherapist and Shankly's idiosyncratic apprehension, even fear, of injuries made Paisley's treatment room role even more crucial in their partnership of opposites, one often outrageously extrovert, the other happy in the background.

It was to Paisley, though, that Liverpool turned to follow Shankly. He needed much persuasion from the club and his family to take on the challenge at the age of 55. Finally, he agreed and exclaimed: "It's like being given the Queen Elizabeth to steer in a force 10 gale." But he steered it brilliantly even though he was disappointed with a championship runners-up spot in his first season. Borrowing a phrase from his other great sporting passion of horse racing, he said: "I was like an apprentice that ran wide at the bends."

But Liverpool galloped past a couple of winning posts the following season with a League title and UEFA Cup double. The championship was secured with a 3-1 win on a heady night at Wolves in the final league fixture while European success was clinched with a 4-3 aggregate win over Bruges.

It was the forerunner to a season climaxed by what Paisley termed "my perfect day" when he and his team lifted the European Cup for the first time with a 3-1 conquest of Borussia Moenchengladbach in Rome in May 1977. Four days earlier, having already retained the championship, his team had lost the FA Cup Final to Manchester United. But the gloom of Wembley was banished by Liverpool's sparkling display in the Eternal City, which Paisley had helped liberate in wartime.

The victory installed Paisley as the first English-born manager to lift Europe's greatest prize following the success of Scottish duo Jock Stein's Celtic in 1967 and Sir Matt Busby, captain at Liverpool when Paisley first arrived, with Manchester United in 1968.

As the celebratory champagne flowed Paisley, later honoured with an OBE, sat quietly in a corner of the team hotel and said: "I'm not having a drink because I want to savour every moment. The Pope and I are two of the few sober people in Rome tonight!"

The Roman carnival also heralded the end of Kevin Keegan's fine Anfield career in which he had forged a potent attack partnership with John Toshack. The England striker, who would go on to manage his country, departed for Hamburg.

But Paisley, revealing that his superb command of tactics was matched by his judgment of football talent, soon had Keegan's replacement at No. 7 lined up. He signed Kenny Dalglish from Celtic for £440,000, £60,000 less than the income from Keegan's transfer.

"There's never been a better bit of business than that," said delighted Anfield Chairman John Smith. Paisley's genius for team building had already been evident in his capture of Phil Neal, Terry McDermott, Joey Jones and David Johnson, his switch of Ray Kennedy from a powerful striker to a left midfielder who terrorised Europe and his use of David Fairclough as football's prototype "super sub". Paisley, aware he was not the greatest orator, would say: "I let my side do the talking for me." It did with deafening volume thanks to a litany of Paisley recruits including Hansen, Souness, Alan Kennedy, Ronnie Whelan, Ian Rush, Craig Johnston, Mark Lawrenson, Bruce Grobbelaar and Steve Nicol.

And he soared into the stratosphere of managerial achievement by guiding Liverpool to two further European Cup triumphs, at Wembley in 1978, overcoming Bruges, and in Paris three years later when Real Madrid were put to the sword.

Paisley's teams annexed a total of six championships, the most remarkable being in 1978-79 when they emerged with a record 68 points under the old two-points-for-a-win system, conceded a record low 16 goals in their 42 games, scored 85 and lost only four times. He also guided Liverpool to a hat-trick of League Cup successes, failing only to land the FA Cup. But that gap in his collection was bearable given his torrent of triumph before passing on command to Joe Fagan in 1983, having amassed a grand total of 23 Bells Managerial Awards.

After retiring in 1983, he was elected to the board of directors and was an advisor to Kenny Dalglish, Liverpool's first player-manager, before being tragically stricken with Alzheimer's Disease.

Bob Paisley and his deeds were summed up perfectly by Canon John Roberts at his funeral service at St. Peter's, Woolton in February 1996 when he saluted him as an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness. The world of football, not least Liverpool FC, was enriched by his massive and exemplary contribution to it. On Thursday 8th April 1999 Liverpool FC officially opened The Paisley Gateway as an enduring monument to this great man.

[youtube]a8-lBxuDLJQ[/youtube]

23. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]

Gary McAllister MBE : (Midfield, 2000-2002)
    Date of Birth: 25-12-1964
    Birthplace: Motherwell
    Debut : v Bradford City, August 19th 2000. Won 1-0
    1st team games: 87
    1st team goals: 9
    Other clubs: Motherwell, Leicester City, Leeds United, Coventry City, Liverpool, Coventry City (player-manager).
    International caps while with Liverpool: None
    Honours with Liverpool: Worthington Cup 2000-2001, FA Cup 2000-2001, UEFA Cup 2000-2001, FA Charity Shield 2001-2002, Super Cup 2001-2002
    "My most inspirational signing," said Gerard Houllier about the capture of Gary McAllister who went on to be a Liverpool legend.
    More than a few eyebrows were raised when Gerard Houllier captured veteran midfield schemer Gary McAllister on a free transfer during the summer of 2000.

The experienced Scottish international, who began his career with Motherwell, was originally a transfer target of the Reds during the managerial reign of Kenny Dalglish. When McAllister left his native Scotland it was to join Leicester City, whom he served with distinction for five years before making a £1 million switch to Leeds United in 1990.

At Elland Road he won a championship medal in 1992 and established himself as a regular in the Scottish national side. He captained the Scots in Euro 96 but is unfortunately best remembered for missing a vital penalty in the crucial group clash with the auld enemy England.

He left Leeds to sign for Coventry in a £3 million deal and during four years at Highfield Road played a prominent role in helping the Sky Blues maintain their top-flight status. At 36 he was considered surplus to requirements and allowed to leave on a Bosman. That is where Liverpool stepped in.

"It came out of the blue but it was a welcome surprise," he admits. "As soon as I knew of Liverpool's interest it was an easy decision and I had no hesitation in signing."

Despite being sent off on his full debut against Arsenal at Highbury, McAllister quickly won over the doubters who questioned the wisdom of signing a player so old. His intelligent midfield play has been a joy to watch, while his ability to get forward and score goals has proved an added bonus.

In February 2001 he was rewarded with a one-year extension to his contract and during an unforgettable climax to the season McAllister achieved cult-hero status among Liverpudlians with a succession of vital goals as an unprecedented cup treble and much-coveted place in the Champions League were secured.

'Gary Mac' won his first medal when he came on as a substitute in the Worthington Cup Final and scored a penalty in the shoot-out victory over Birmingham City.

The moment he will always be remembered for by all Liverpool fans was Monday, April 16th at Goodison Park. 94 minutes were on the clock, Liverpool had a free-kick and from 44-yards out McAllister struck a superb free-kick into the net to send the Red half of Merseyside into complete delirium. What a way to win the derby and many have said it was the turning point of that season.

Three days later McAllister was the hero again when his cool penalty secured a 1-0 win over Barcelona at Anfield to reach the final of the UEFA Cup.

The FA Cup Final was next on the agenda. McAllister came off the bench to set up the equaliser for Michael Owen and the rest as they say is history.

Wednesday, May 16th was a truly amazing evening as Liverpool beat Alaves 5-4 to win the UEFA Cup in Dortmund. Gary Mac scored a penalty and set up three others, including the free-kick that led to the golden goal winner.

He started season 2001-2002 off in the way he left off winning more silverware. This time Liverpool won the Charity Shield with McAllister scoring a penalty in a 2-1 win over Manchester United.

He played in the Super Cup 3-2 win over Bayern Munich in Monaco as the medals just kept on coming.

Gary Mac was awarded the MBE for his services to football in December 2001.

McAllister then left Anfield to take up the role of player-manager of Coventry City, and ended his Liverpool career with an emotional send-off with a substitute appearance in the 5-0 win over Ipswich. The whole ground stood and applauded a true Kop hero who will never be forgotten.

24. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aussie is up next with two picks ...

25. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Craig Johnston : Player(1981/82 - 1987/88)

[​IMG]

Date of Birth: 25/06/60
    Birthplace: Johannesburg
    Debut : 29th August 1981 v Wolverhamptom Wanderers (A) Football League Division One: Lost 0-1
    1st team games: 268
    1st team goals: 40

Livewire midfielder Craig Johnston was signed by Bob Paisley from Middlesbrough in March 1981 for £650,000. Although born in South Africa, he was raised in Australia.
    Nicknamed Roo, Springsteen or Skippy, Johnston became a KOP favourite and always played with 100 per cent effort. Lightning pace and skilful, Johnston played a major part in some of Liverpool’s great successes during the 80’s.

His best memory at Anfield was scoring the crucial second goal against Everton in the 1986 FA Cup Final at Wembley – the season Liverpool did the Double in Kenny Dalglish’s first season as player-manager.

Liverpool’s favourite Aussie achieved a childhood dream of playing football at the top level in England. He overcome problems such as an illness as a child called osteomyelitis which doctors said would prevent him from playing.

When he got the all-clear to play he started at Middlesbrough before over 70 games later, Johnston was off to new heights with Liverpool.

After being nurtured the Anfield way in the reserves at first, Johnston’s full debut was in the World Club Championship in Tokyo against the Brazilian champions, where a jet-lagged Reds lost 3-0 to a Zico inspired Flamengo.

His first goal for Liverpool came in a 4th Round Milk Cup replay victory at Highbury, when he came on as a substitute for Sammy Lee to score in extra-time, with the Reds going on to win 3-0. Johnston also scored on his Merseyside derby debut against Everton in March 1982 and scored the winning goal against Manchester United at Old Trafford that virtually sealed the Division One title.

The following season Johnston helped Liverpool to retain the Division One title, and played in the 1983 Milk Cup Final victory over Manchester United at Wembley.

The following season was even better in 1983-84 as the Reds won a treble with the League Championship, European Cup and Milk Cup, but it was frustration for Johnston who was in and out of the side. He then put in a transfer request which was turned down by manager Joe Fagan. Johnston bounced back to regain his place and play in the Milk Cup Final against Everton, and scored a vital European goal in the European Cup with a screamer against Benfica in the Reds sensational 4-1 win in Portugal.

He played in the European Cup Final success against Roma, and his cross led to Phil Neal putting Liverpool ahead, with the Reds winning on penalties.

The following season was one of sadness with the Heysel Disaster, but the following season Johnston blossomed under new player-manager Kenny Dalglish, with the Double success.

His final season at Liverpool saw Johnston lose his place to Ray Houghton on the right side of midfield but he still played his part in that memorable 1987-88 Championship winning side, featuring John Barnes and Peter Beardsley. Johnston scored the goal in a 1-1 draw at Derby to help Liverpool equal Leeds United’s record of 29 League games without defeat. He made 35 appearances and scored six goals in his final season.

Away from football Johnston displayed his songwriting talents by writing the song ‘Anfield Rap’ and ‘The Pride of Merseyside’ which had good words about the KOP and King Kenny (Dalglish), but it was no were near a success as the ‘Anfield Rap’, which reached Number Three in the hit parade.

Then, with a testimonial looming Johnston sensationally quit football at the age of 27, after Liverpool’s FA Cup Final defeat to Wimbledon in 1988 to pursue other interests and return to Australia to look after his ill sister.

Explaining in his book ‘Walk Alone,’ some of the reasons for his decision to quit, Johnston said: “I didn’t need much incentive to return home. For almost 13 years, and in spite of the great friendships and hospitality we’d encountered in Britain, I’d never really mastered the chronic homesickness that had dogged me since my arrival.”

He returned to Anfield the following season after the Hillsborough Disaster to offer his help to the grieving families. He returned on the last day of the KOP in 1994 when as part of the Liverpool legends on parade, he got a great reception.

Back home in Australia, Johnston is involved with the media in television and also designed the revolutionary ‘Predator’ football boot.