List of German football players with dual nationality

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Cris 09, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a lot of "foreign" ppl often forget that when they see a polish looking name that those often date back a very long time ago.
    Like most should know from their history lessons "germany" has some roots in poland (prussia and even before that).
    Besides that we all live in a multicultural society and the world has become small. Moving to a new country and adapt to it isnt anymore such a big thing like it was maybe 40+ years ago.
    There are already 3+ generations of turkish, jugoslavian, polish etc. ppl living here and a total amount of _10_ million "foreign" ppl in germany and due to the fact that those get more kids than the "germans" the classic german names are just going to vanish more and more.

I have myself a croatian mother which came in a young age with her family to germany and later married my father (a german).
    Now i have a total classic german name but it could have been also the other way around if my parents had decided to use the name of my mother and suddenly i would look (to someone not knowing better) like im a foreigner while being born here and not even able to speak croatian.

2. BlinderPassagier

Nov 14, 2006
    North of the Border
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Madagascar
    It often does turn out that way... :D

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not saying borowski should do anything, but to someone who doesn't know much about german-polish history and immigration, his name would appear as what I consider "polish". Hence I might think "ah, he's probably got parents who moved to germany just before he was born, or maybe he was born in poland but grew up in germany"...

But to the people of that central european region it'd carry a different meaning and effect given all this history that I've just read on this page...so borowski doesn't need to do jack concerning his name

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree

5. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    For a reason that escapes me at the moment, Jerome Boateng has no Ghanaian passport but his brother does. Both were Berlin born and raised.

Are we talking about players who became German citizens through playing in the Bundesliga as well? I think Dede and Marcelinho and maybe Lincoln qualify for this list if that is so.

I believe Sofian Chahed is half Tunisian too.

6. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    And Chinedu Ede is half Nigerian if I'm not mistaken.

7. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yip, also forgot about Malik Fathi whos half Turk.

8. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Just some random things that i recall...

Oliver Kahn is 1/4 Latvian
    Patrick Owomoyela is half Nigerian
    Sebastian Boenisch is half Polish (he plays for Schalke)
    Mesut Ozil, the dude with the crack-inspired hair, is half Turkish
    Zlatan Bajramovic is half German too (but plays for Bosnia)
    Albert Streit is half Romanian

Also would Naohiro Takahara qualify for German citizenship? Not sure about the rules for Japan, but IIRC he's been here for 5 years now.

*EDIT* He's only been here for 4 years, joined HSV in 2003

9. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    I'm pretty sure both of Özil's parents originally come from Turkey. Funny haircut indeed but the kid has talent to boot.

Didn't know that Bajramovic is half German too.

10. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think K-P Boateng did it in case he never gets a senior Germany call up. But, you would know that better than I.

I mentioned that is what got Sean Dundee and Oliver Neuville on that list. They are both "naturalized" Germans. Actually, so is Gerald Asamoah, but unlike Dundee and Neuville, who were naturalized in the late 90s when Germany had big-time talent problems at striker, Asamoah has lived in Germany from the time he was a baby.

There has been talk of Dede doing the German naturalization thing for awhile now, but he has not yet.

I believe he's stalling in hopes of one day finally getting another Brazilian cap.

I really can't say anything in the cases of Lincoln and Marcelinho. I think Marcelinho knows he probably will never see another Brazilian cap unless it is for an exhibition in Germany. Same with Dede.

With Brazil's other midfield talents, I don't think Lincoln will ever see one.

But, Lincoln is plenty good enough for the Bundesliga! And I'll say that no matter who he plays for.

I think he's the best playmaker in the league right now.

Despite his cowardly stupid act this past weekend.

11. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Must be frustrating for Lincoln he's an outstandingplayer in his own right but he's completely overshadowed....even by Marcelinho, who got overshadowed just as much.

12. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    Might be, but that is not very likely to happen. My bet is that if he stays free of injuries from now on he'll get his first cap this year.

Two important errors there.

1. Neuville's father was German, he died in the early 90s. When Neuville came to Germany he didn't speak the language, yet when asked about the NT he instantly said that he only wants to play for Germany. Might have to do with the early demise of his father.

2. Asamoah didn't come to Germany until he was a 12 years old. Actually several family members where already there before him.

13. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    thats the best way forward, look at france, brazil, multi- foreign teams. each race bring a different technical aspect of the game.
    german ---stamina and determination
    polish...... speed
    african.... speed and strength
    spanish... fan
    etc

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

HELLO STEREO-TYPES....

15. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And? They had to do his paperwork. He didn't become a citizen until then. His having a German father changed nothing.

Point taken.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, when he was at Kaiserslautern, Lincoln's play was also overshadowed by his own stupid acts......

17. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    True, but due to him having a German father the situation was completely different than it was with Sean Dundee.

18. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so? It was the same thing. Dundee had a German grandfather, did he not?

19. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    Oh, did he? If so I wasn't aware of that.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, as far as I remember he did.

As far as I remember, he and Paulo Rink both had German grandfathers.

21. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    Yep, Rink for sure. I recall reading that he has a German grandfather.

22. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005
    If one of your parents is German, you get German nationality pretty much automatically. Usually, if you take up another nationality, you have to give up your German one, but if one of your parents is German you can have dual citizenship.

Atcually, I remember reading somewhere that Neuville always had a German passport, but I might be wrong on this...

23. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be interested to know that. As far as I remember, his paperwork was done, but it was quick. I seem to remember it being more than simply renewing a passport.

24. IlTedesco

IlTedesco New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Germany
    Yes, but only if you have lived in Germany for a certain amount of time. E.g. Charlize Theron wanted to become a German citizen like her mother but was rejected since she hadn't been there long enough.

Hm, Wikipedia (I know, I know) say that he only had a Swiss and an Italian passport at first.

BTW: I did some research, but couldn't find any info on Sean Dundee having a German grandfather.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very odd. I was born in Ecuador and recieved my German passport upon birth. I am guessing Theron's case was that she already;
    1. Turned 18
    2. Had another passport (citizenship)

Germany also have strange "sexist" laws becuase it is the "Fatherland", and if I am not mistaken...you get considered German by 3rd generation grandfather on your father's side but not your mothers. Someone might want to verify this before quoting me. Could be also why Theron didn't get immediate citizenship???