Lionel Messi - La pulga atómica - part II (r)

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by Pekerman, Nov 7, 2008.

1. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Lionel Messi - La Pulga Atomica - part II (r)

ballon d'or?

if he keeps playing like this and especially if barca wins the double, he'll win.

2. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE

Man, I wish so much that he could repeat these kind of performances with the NT....

3. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: Tres para triunfar

Messi se mandó un hat-trick en la victoria de Barcelona sobre Atlético de Madrid por 3 a 1, en el partido de ida por los octavos de final. Todo esto, con Maradona en la tribuna. Agüero no pudo jugar porque sufre faringitis, mientras que Maxi Rodríguez fue titular.

More...

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I wish that Messi, when he wins the Balon D'Or the next following season, rejects the stupid trophy out of principle.

Honestly he deserved to win it over CR7 this past season and the previous season as well. This season HE'S ON FIRE and there is NO REASON he should not win it. He's light years ahead of everyone right now!

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

I can't agree with that. CR had a freak of nature season ( I highly doubt he'll recreate it) scoring 42 goals. Plus he won the CL and league title. You can't really argue with that.

This I agree with. Messi is on another level right now. Unstoppable. The numbers don't lie....

La Liga: 10 goals 6 assists in 14 matches.

Copa del Rey: 4 goals in 2 matches.

CL: 5 goals 3 assists in 5 maches.

Overall:

19 goals, 9 assists in 21 matches.

And with that you can't even measure the quality of the goals he's scored which have been out of this world.

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I won't take away his 42 goals but goals alone are not soccer. I know I am biased against him and I openly admit it. He did have great accomplishments but, and this includes last season as well, Barcelona changes things for his team, Ronaldo not so much.

Either way I don't want to get into a CR7 vs Messi debate. Ronaldo is a good player, Messi is from another planet.

7. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007

If he continues this form and keeps improving and winning trophies he has the potential to be an all time top 20 player imo

8. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

It really is unfair to compare him with other players. You cannot deny the immense gift he has, the way he freezes defender I haven't seen since Diego. Please don't mention that Portuguese choking brat in the same sentence, it's a blasphemy that he is considered a rival to Messi's throne.

On a different note, I really like the way Barca operates and I think that Argentina has suitable player to replicate this formation, especially in the midfield. This would allow Messi to play his natural position on the right wing, I feel that he is the most efficient there and putting him as a second striker only limit the space he has available to dribble.

9. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yes but my point is that he is Argentine and thus must do twice as much as a European or Brasilian to win any accolades.:mad:

10. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Blame Diego for setting the bar so damn high.

11. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Lets show off his gols from today, just for the haters :D
    [youtube]8HYQik-pMJk[/youtube]
    Today's performance = Epic success.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

La jugada anterior al tercer gol, que termino con el tiro en el travesano, fue espectacular.

13. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

si, that was stupendous

14. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Shouldn't Tesco be posting right now telling us why, in reality, Messi is rubbish and Jermaine Pennant is better. :D

15. Pasión_Albiceleste

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

in all seriousness...lol... if that is the position that messi is natural at and shows this display the national team should center around him and play around him...if he could handle that preasure then they should stop playing him up front and let him create from the wing in...it would be hard to beat an argentina who plays like that...but at the same time we dont have a xavi type player who is up there among the best players in the world...really close to the top imo

16. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Well I am not one for conspiracies or such , but I do tend to wonder if FIFA after the 1986 WC had an agenda to make Argentina marketable like Brazil was after the 1970 WC. Diego the wonder man of futbol, only to then get into trouble time and again and with drugs, mafia allegations, etcetera. Fifa must have done a 180 by the time 1990 rolled on. I can't help but speculate if there is a bit of anti-Argentine feelings in the soccer world due to the bad boy image Argentina has got largely due to Diego's dimise.
    Hence I think Messi will have to work twice as hard.:(

17. Pasión_Albiceleste

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

am i wrong or before the only ones who could win it was european nationals for the balon de ore unitl reletivly recently no

18. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm not big into conspiracy theories either but I've heard that for many years. I'm not so sure it has as much to do with Diego as it does our perceived arrogance and Brazil's happy go lucky image. Fine by me as I'd rather not be FIFA's bitch.

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

When Messi is given the Balon D'Or next year, he should tell them to shove it up their fcuking ass!!!!

Vamos Diego!!
    Vamos Messi!!

VAMOS ARGENTINA C A R A J O !!!!!

20. RacingGirl

RacingGirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 8, 2005
    SoCal
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Here's a nice vid of the game, with the fans reaction and Maradona in el palco.
    [youtube]_eLc9IrM-lI[/youtube]

21. Pasión_Albiceleste

May 16, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

great vid

22. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

more than xavi i would say u dont have a dani alves to play with him, cause i think cambiasso could do a good xavi for u guys, hell even riquelme can do xavi just with out the speed. Hope to see u guys lose to honduras in the WC final :p

23. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

Messi is an outstanding player. Unfortunately we don't have a lot players to replicate what Barcelona is, unfortunately. We don't have an Iniesta nor a Xavi nor a smart goalie or defenders with the capacity of Pujol or Piquet. We have player that are good protective midfielders like Mascherano or a Gago but not as creative as an Iniesta or a Xavi or even a Busquets. Riquelme is an awesome player if we gert to play in the WC against Mexico or Honduras or Mali, but if we get any europeans on the way, he is too slow and he absorbes too much of Argentina and slows it down. Europeans play fast abnd from memory and don't have time to let slow players think. Messi is a step above because he thinks much fasterand it's used to that type of playing.

24. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Right now, in my humble opinion, there is only one truly outstanding team in international football, and that is Spain. They have the best midfield on the planet with Iniesta/Xavi/Senna and Silva, it's so good that they do not even have room in the starting xi for Fabregas.

Argentina have some outstanding individuals, and in Messi we have the best player on the planet, but sadly we do not have a brilliant up and coming midfielder(s), we have Riquelme and Veron, but as cordobesen said, when they come up against european teams and Brazil they are found wanting and lacking pace.

I still think with the likes of Messi/Ageuro/Higuain/Tevez/Lavezzi we have a great chance of winning the 2010 world cup, but if we could only find a Xavi/Iniesta type player.

25. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Pique is horrible and most of Argentina's defenders are better than him. What's true is that Argentina doesn't have a RB like Alves who's contribution of the attack is incredible. Keeper wise Valdes isn't that much better than Carrizo. I rate them about the same.

So Gago isn't creative? Someone hasn't been watching him play. Gago is both very creative and can provide that defensive shield.

Xavi isn't a fast player either. But he doesn't have to be when he's surrounded by them. One of the crucial mistakes in Argentina's midfield was lining up Mascherano, Veron, Riquelme, and Cambiasso. That's an INCREDIBLY slow midfield. Same applies to the disaster that was Mascherano, Cambiasso, and Ledesma.

If you look at Riquelme's play for Boca, he always excelled when surrounded by faster players and fast fullbacks like Clemente Rodriguez.

But the fact is that Barcelona play week in and week out and train together almost every single day and they have essentially played the same system for years. They know each other and Messi has formed an incredible understanding with Alves and Eto'o that's lethal. He simply doesn't have that with any player in Argentina save a few touches here and there with Riquelme every once in a while. You simply cannot compare both teams.

Messi is good enough that he should be able to adapt to Argentina's system. You just have to find a way to maximize him. Right now at Barca he doesn't have one exact role. He shifts sides constantly sometimes through the middle sometimes on the left sometimes on the right. Sometimes he playmakes but he's not the official playmaker on the team.