Lionel Messi - La pulga atómica - part II (r)

Discussion in 'Argentinos Abroad' started by Pekerman, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Old Thread

Messi and aesthetics should not even be in the same sentence. Messi is as efficient a player can get, never seen him use any gimmicky move in his entire career. At least he is not riding the epl billion dollar hype machine, he is rightly hyped by people who watch and love football. He is pretty much

honest question to teso: do you watch la liga ?

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Re: Leo Messi news and Comments

Just a page or so back bosterosoy posted a link to a media outlet criticizing Messi for the spit. He also was criticized heavily after that hand ball a few seasons ago.

3. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007

Why dont you explain how messi is purely aesthetics instead of dancing around the issue

4. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

:D this typical avoiding the issue while accusing other of ignorance when yours is so blatantly obvious (about Messi and La Liga).

5. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Anyone watching the Valladolid match? That's why Messi is rated so highly. He created two clear goal scoring opportunities one for Eto'o and one for Henry after two brilliant passes one with a "sombrerito" right before it. Neither ended in goals but this is the type of stuff that's not on stat sheets and you can't see unless you watch the entire matches.

EDIT:

And now he just assisted Eto'o with a great pass for Barca's third goal.

6. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Messi es un Monstruo!!!!

7. PinoyMarauder

PinoyMarauder Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Philippines/Canada

would you give it up teso! first messi then tevez and now this......you keep on telling people how they lack the comprehension of your "points" while in reality your the one that cant comprehend.

How in the hell would they want to ask you if you keep on insisting with your illogical comments?

An honest answer teso, have you ever watched messi play before?

15 post a day? wow.......why dont you go out sometimes insted of posting 15 illogical post everyday.

8. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007

Aesthetics is what is pleasing to the eye and if you infer someone is mainly aesthetics then you are implying that they are not as direct or effective but are fun to watch and have style. Now, if you made up your own bullsh*t definition that no one accepts but yourself, that is your problem. Bottom line, messi is far from a purely/mainly aesthetics player, as his playing style is one of the most effective and direct approach in world football.

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I've seen the aesthetics thing thrown around in a few threads and never quite understood it, especially when talking about Messi. One can take any player in the world that is in a groove and having a great match and no doubt that player is pleasing to the eye. Take the same in another match that is having a real stinker and I could assume correctly that said player is not pleasing on the eye thus rendering the entire "aesthetics" argument bullshit.

Agreed and that says something considering how rare it is for the two of us to agree on anything:D

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lionel Messi - part II (r)

I had this discussion with some friends. (I don't mean Teso, I don't think that's what he's arguing, but I had people argue that Messi plays 'pretty' rather than effective.) I think by aesthetics some people mean that he enjoys dribbling and showing off ball skills rather than making the quick effective pass. I think that it is true that some latino players overdribble, and yeah, we love to dribble, but it's not the case with Messi.

Messi dribbles because he knows he can beat his defender and create chances as well as finish them. It is not a matter of aesthetics or of showing up the defense. He does it because it works, because it is in fact effective for him, as he proves again and again.

11. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007

Yeah, there are some players that fans will overrate because of their style and aesthetics ie Quaresma and Robinho AT TIMES put a priority in showing their individual talent and how many players they can make a fool of rather than the most effective play to get the team in a scoring position. When Messi dribbles past defenders it is usually the most effective way in creating space for his teammates which he does a good job in supplying (ie Barca vs Valladolid). He does sometimes try to do too much but as far as directness and his effective plays, the aesthetics argument does not apply.

12. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

if anyone is pure aesthetics it is C. Ronaldo

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Robinho comes to mind.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

CRonaldo make seem like just aesthetics at times. At least once per game he's going to dribble a lot and it will lead to nothing. But he has a lot of end product as well. You don't score 41 goals in a season being just aesthetics.

15. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Agreed, but I still take Messi.;)

16. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He, he, he , see Teso Im not the only one calling you out.:p

17. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Messi is the real deal, no doubt about it. Anyone who watched Barca play on Saturday would have seen yet another outstanding performance by Messi, he is getting better and better and he's still only 21. :eek:

C. Ronaldo had an outstanding season last year, it would be stupid to deny that and his contribution to Utd winning both the title and the champions league but in my opinion Ronaldo is not in the same league as Messi.

However, the most hyped player in my view is Wayne Rooney, a thug on and off the pitch, this letter from www.football365.com seems to sum him up pretty well:

Rooney: Really Not That Good
    I am a Manchester United fan, I would like to know why on earth people in this country rave on about Wayne Rooney. He is without a doubt the most overrated footballer in the world, did you see the amount of chances he missed against Arsenal? I would like to know other than strength, work rate and the ability to sacrifice for the team what on earth do people see in Wayne Rooney, that people in the English media rave on about him as being the most natural English talent, because quite frankly I feel players like Tevez should be playing I believe Wayne Rooney isn't even Carlos Tevez's left foot!
    Shoaib Rizvi

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN

People who believe that do not merit the effort of a discussion.

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Right on cue, I'll have some chips with my fish. :D

20. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

How could I have forgotten him

ever since his days at Santos he seems to just be living in Tevez's shadow

21. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    Lionel Messi - part II (r)

Messi contó así que su nueva dieta también es a base de fruta y verdura. Los hidratos de carbono, al margen.

More...

22. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    Re: Leonel Messi - part II (r)

x2 for Messi today!
    His second half was simply unbelievable!

23. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

the best 4th player in the world according to some people :D

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

15 goals and 9 assists in 17 matches. His form is ridiculous right now.

25. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Shame his form isn't ridiculous with La Seleccion right now! :mad: