Liberty University Students to Mitt: "You're Not Christian"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 24, 2012.

1. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Santorum did so well in the south indicates as much. If Romney was Methodist or Baptist, it wouldn't even have been a race.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's trolling to say that we might be better off without religion and all the petty divisions that come from it? Why is it out of bounds to question this quazi religious test that our nation has had from the beginning. I mean that's what this thread is about, right? One persons fairy tales are not acceptable to some others that believe in older and more established fairy tales and that's why he's not qualified to run the country.

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious stupidity of this whole debate.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like libertarianism. Let's face it Matthew, you guys are trending into Scientology territory.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    There is hope for you. You clearly understand what being a troll is, but you apparently can't help yourself. Libertarians are supposed to be about freedom and letting people do or believe whatever they want, no? So, if you find this discussion "obviously stupid" you have two choices: 1) ignore it and do something else with your time; or 2) post something as an obvious wind up to the people involved in the discussion.

I think you have the smarts to figure out what is what. But carry on.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fairy tales with celebrities and a scoreboard. Interesting.

You know I'm not a pure libertarian and I will agree with you that some of the hardcores are a bit nutty. But that happens with most true believers in anything.

6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, Romney's religion doesn't even enter into the equation. Politically, I just didn't care for him as much as I did some other candidates. However, I know that's not the case for a lot of people. Truth being told, I wasn't enthusiastic about any of them once Cain dropped out. That being said, I'll have no problem voting for Romney.

7. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are allowed to believe all the stupid shit you want. Who's stopping you? Just like I have the freedom to call out your stupid shit as stupid shit. And you missed point number three whoch would be to broaden a narrow discussion into a more philosophical, more interesting debate. But I forgot that this is America and we are only allowed to keep two predictable points of view at a time for fear of being called a troll or a loon.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    TBH, it seems to be the left that has a problem with religious bigotry, not the libertarians or even the GOP.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Okay, maybe I gave you too much credit before and you really can't figure this out. Yes, you are indeed entitled to broaden the discussion into a more philosophical and perhaps an even more interesting debate. It's called a new thread. I'll refresh your memory. This one is about one set of Christians acting on what their definition of Christianity is as applied to other religions.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. Liberty University appears to be populated by center-of-left zealots.:rolleyes:

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They can do whatever they want, no doubt, but there's inherent criticism in being so wrapped up in a denomination or religious belief in general that you pass on a commencement because the speaker isn't in your club.

Why?

12. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't know . . . maybe because Jesus didn't get involved in politics back in the day? Not that following Christ's example is paramount to most Christians these days.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Because people who suffer from mass delusions aren't the best decisionmakers.

14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me it is because religions and government operate on different plains.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    People who believe in God believe for a lot of reasons, and one of these is the idea that he will help deliver them from or thru some unfortunate situation in their lives. That probably isn't as foreign to you as your post made it seem, but it's worth mentioning that a lot of churches had and have a personal connection to the struggle against slavery, against Jim Crow and now against their own fellow Christians who stand in God's way. Helping create a government that won't shy away from these issues is considered to be part of doing God's work. Asking whether that's how it ought to be misses the point that without that personal connection, a lot of folks would have given up on the struggle against dehumanization, and the United States would be a lot less Christlike than it is today.

The church building itself has been used for generations as a place to discuss political strategies to deal with injustice, and they've allowed a lot of people to address many of society's human rights issues when doing so outside the context of faith would have gotten them silenced. If a religious organization can't do that, it fails miserably at the biggest test it'll ever have to prove itself as an organization dedicated to God's work.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the value and role of the church in politics. I know the great value it had during the period between 1865 and 1965, or thereabouts, for blacks in the South. At the same time, though, my mom talked of the worry that people had that JFK, as a catholic, would defer to the Pope on some matters.

Yet the church and society often have different opinions on the same issue. Two which are in the news are gay marriage and abortion rights. The church is against both, yet society as a majority, is not. The opinion of the church is valuable, and necessary, but because it bases their beliefs on a text written 2000 years ago, with little wiggle room, it should directly stay out of politics.

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^What exactly did you mean by church?

Abortion is an interesting case. As a Catholic, the Church's current litmus-test focus on it presents a real problem for Catholic candidates. If a candidate favors active elimination of it, he/she gets both official blessing and the support of a not-insignificant number of conservative Catholics, but probably loses general support. If he/she is Ok with government toleration of it, then he/she loses a lot of Catholic support. Biden has to put up with some priest/bishops denying him the Eucharist.

OTOH, I doubt there are many of you who favor the Chinese and Indian practices of abortion for the sole practice of getting male children. Sorry if any of you are offended, but I find it repugnant.

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the spirit of this thread, when Joe Biden gets to heaven for raising his boys after their mom died and those Bishops go to hell for raping altar-boys, we'll know who was the better Catholic all along.

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Colin Powell was my graduation speaker during a time when he was pretty busy bullshitting Congress. There were many times I did not stand and so forth when others did. If, say, the speaker was W, I would have protested even though he was the President. I think it's good that these kids are honestly saying what they believe, even if I think it's all nonsense. It makes them that much easier for me to discount.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Religious organizations, such as Baptists or Catholics.

Agreed. And that it is occurring here in the US.

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't say that. It's trolling and makes Chris sad.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, but how about Religions that do mix Politics with government say Hindu or Islam, is it ok for their temples to get involved in politics?

It sucks that they do it, but based on their cultural tradition is understanding why they pick boys over girls, China and India need to change some laws to make it cheaper / beneficial for families to keep the girls.

Saying that I am ok if the families feel they can not afford another child and have an abortion.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a good thing that Martin Luther King never mixed politics and religion.

I'm sorry, am I trolling again?

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    So is Mitt going to avoid all the usual evangelical stomping grounds altogether this election? For some of these preachers, not having a camera in front of them is like denying them oxygen. Could they throw their hair gel behind...(GASP)...the Muslim candidate??

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say it, it just simply renders your opinion meaningless.