Liberty University Students to Mitt: "You're Not Christian"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Catholics are big into redemption. Confession / absolution is one of the sacraments.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I have not been posting, I have been reading. This is, perhaps, the best discussion on BS I remember having on such a serious topic.

Like wise. I have this kind of discussion with my mom on a regular basis. She is a Catholic through and through, yet she is pro-choice and thinks women should be ordained. I call her a leftist Catholic.

Yet if that helps one live in peace and harmony with the world, what is wrong with it? I always think of the commandments. They are similar for all religions, yet Christianity says that their god must be first (as is also similar to all other religions). I know many people, including a Mormon, who use a few little things to help live a better life (for instance, he does Feng shui to his house).

What about the minority?

Your tongue has split and horns are upon your head. You utter such evil things...

What about Mary? Didn't they all get together and get high, sing songs, and record a few records?

I'm not one of them. Leave me be.

Over time, things change. Jesus was not always a god, or son of god, or whatever. All those things about crops and clothes are also horseshit, but it does not mean that Christianity is horseshit.

My Mormon friend lives the life of no caffeine or alcohol as a way to maintain purity and spiritual cleanliness.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thus ends the respectful discussion. :)

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes you are, you just don't know it yet.

5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Depends what brand of Christianity you practice. If you're Roman Catholic, the guys from Liberty U are heretics.

Mormonism doesn't form part of Nicene Christianity, but from an outside perspective most people would regard it as a Christian denomination (along with Unitarianism, etc.). After all, they all follow Christ.

6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big question I've got is, who cares? Can anybody prove a bit of LDS theology wrong? Do the Catholic Church or the Quakers have to pay dues if the Mormons call themselves Christians? The answer, correctly, is know. Everybody's just trying to figure out what happens after we die and the Mormons' answer is admittedly a bit more of a stretch, but a bit more awesome.

7. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Noe?" "Noh?" "No?"

There we go.

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I care.

As you might have observed by now, Christianity is an evangelical religion, as is Mormonism. I have an obligation to share what I consider is good news. Now, there are other adherents of other faiths who have the same responsibility, and that is fine for them. I view that "awesomeness" of which you speak to be a critical distinctive. Again, fine if they believe it. But when if anyone is trying to call it what I call my religion, then I have a problem.

Now, if it turns out that there is a God and he has decided that everyone gets into Heaven because he is God and he loves us all, hey, I would be perfectly fine with that. Though I do have many fire-Bible breathing brethren who would be pissed. Too bad for them.:p

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question.... I'm currently reading Daniel Howe's What God Hath Wrought and just finished reading the chapter about the origins of the various religious movements that started during the time period his book covers (1815 to 1848). He writes that the LDS prohibition against coffee, alcohol, tobacco started off as merely advisory and health related and only became mandates much later. Is that correct based on your understanding?

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Never worked with my mother though. :)

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I know you're a political person, so you really should be able to figure out "who cares" if Mormons are Christians or not. That is why all this came up in the first place.

Just remember, you're all goyim to me! :D

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Racist

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the point of thread, I think the bigger issue here is not whether or not Mormons are Christians. Its that Liberty Students are so close-minded that they refuse to have a non-christian speak at their commencement, even if that non-christian might be our next president.

Could you imagine students at another university boycotting a speaker because they are Muslim/Jewish etc?

15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Emma Smith didn't like the elders spitting chaw in her house. :)

Several of the LDS prohibitions or commandments were infrequently enforced in the 1800s. Word of Wisdom is one; tithing is another. By the time you hit 1900 or so, these were entrenched fully.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I understand why it's a political question. I'd like to get to the heart of it. Why do people care? Val's answer is that anybody who calls themselves a Christian but isn't shouldn't be allowed in "the club." Like Jesus is up there keeping score. It's petty and pathetic for an answer. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Mormonism, or Islam, or the rest of the monotheistic paeon of religions, but only on their tangible religious grounds. Mormons didn't let in African-Americans until the 1970s, Catholics don't let women in the clergy, Orthodox synods have mafia connections, Shi'a Islam appears to have fused with political life in Iran, etc.

However, simply saying "my books are better than your books" should not be the basis for any post-Enlightenment political discussion. The human race can and should know better. That's why I would like to see if anybody cares beyond the usual "my ****'s bigger" contest.

17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, if ideas are the currency of colleges and universities, the main intellectual thought at Liberty is: What Does it Mean to be a Christian? There's a lot of different answers to that question. But I don't find this protest to be any more or less out of line than:

Worcester Polytechnic Institute protesting against ExxonMobile Chief
    http://www.care2.com/causes/students-protest-exxon-ceo-as-commencement-speaker.html
    UNC Chapel Hill protesting Mayor Bloomberg
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...cement-speaker-protest-occupy--135278413.html
    U Michigan Law School protesting against Senator Rob Portman (R)
    http://www.michigandaily.com/news/law-school-commencement-sees-protests
    Syracuse protesting Chase CEO
    http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/syracuse_university_students_p.html

I find it all mostly a tempest in a teapot. My experience at commencement seems to have been similar to many who've posted here: I remember who spoke, but I didn't listen to a word of it.

18. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read any George Steiner?

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If you're going to put it this way, then to answer your question, the superstitions we're discussing here are pre-Enlightenment relics.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who?

I'm lucky if I get to read the newspaper between product submittals.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they find that part of their life important. Why do people care who wins the Superbowl? The World Cup? Why are there groups like PETA and Greenpeace and the NRA?

What somebody believes that is different from you is "pathetic"? Dude, we are having a civil discussion, please join us.

Yet it is what people believe. And these books are the basis for their belief structure.

22. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're making a false dichotomy. Criticizing Mormons for not being Christian isn't the same as rooting for a team to win the Super Bowl, it's rooting for a team to lose. It's for PETA to root for the deaths of humans instead of the preservation of other animal life. I would expect Southern Baptists to be full of pride over being Baptist, and Lutherans over being Lutheran, and Theravada Buddhists for being Buddhist. What our species ought to overcome is the need for S.B.s to hate the Northern Baptists, the Lutherans to hate the Presbyterians, and the Theravada Buddhists to hate the Sunni Muslims, just "cuz, man." How that's uncivil is a little mind-boggling.

23. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps our species should work to abandon the fairytales all together.

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't think anyone was criticizing Mormons at all. Not even the Liberty students. They are voicing their opinion that Mormonism does not fit within their definition of Christianity which is a very different thing than being critical. My only issue with them is that they should be open to someone they consider being non-Christian to speak at their commencement. Then again, its their commencement so they can do what they want.

I first posted in this thread because the broader issue is that there are a lot of evangelicals out there who will not support Romney for the very reason these students are protesting. Would they support a Catholic like Santorum? I don't know. But their is a large group who's politics are driven by their religious beliefs. That's fine with me, but I personally believe it is a faulty logical premise.

In a related note, I find it interesting and refreshing that the Catholic bishops have come out hard against the Ryan budget because of what it does to the least of us. In the big picture, I'm against my church getting involved directly in politics, but since they took that leap against Obama and the contraception/insurance issue, I'm glad that they truly are holding to their principles in this matter as well.

25. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You really are evolving into quite the troll recently. It's a fine line between contrarian and troll, so I will cut you some slack . . . sweetheart. ;)