Liberty University Students to Mitt: "You're Not Christian"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 24, 2012.

1. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    As a Cornhusker, the only thing I have to say about Liberty is "Go Turner Gill!!!"

What does football have to do with Romney and Mormons? Nothing, right?
    http://www.omaha.com/article/20120410/BIGRED/704109849

2. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No apologies. I think this was excellent and very helfpul for me to understand.

I have alot of respect for your faith.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd cry a lot if forced to watch 5 episodes of Friends.

4. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't thought about it this way, but it makes perfect sense. Spiritual growth and happiness is dependant on trying to better onself, ones family, ones neighborhood and the world at large. Personally I think one can do that without the religious trappings, but enough of that discussion.

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funniest part of this story for me is a recent conversation I had with my mom about my commencement. We were recalling how hot it was that day and she said she was amazed that the speaker lasted through the heat.

I have no friggin clue who the speaker was and what he talked about.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje is a heretic. :)

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I graduated from college in 97 and I don't have any idea about our speaker, either. Some dude I'd never heard of and who no doubt had given a lot of money to the college to name a building after hi... uh, I mean for scholarships.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Supporting RSL doesn't make you a heretic.

But supporting LA or NY ... well...

What are we talking about?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, can we say that you are as Christian as Christians are Jewish?

After all Jesus was Jewish.

10. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Paul.

11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a Democrat and an Arrested Development fan, you better not get within a thousand yards of that temple. They have orders to shoot GOB fans on sight.:)

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ...and John and Peter and all the other disciples, even Judas Iscariot. All Jewish, just like all those people in the Hanukkah song.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I think Jesus of Nazareth was born and died a Jew.
    But I think you've got a more difficult argument to make with Paul.

Born a Jew? Yes. Died a Jew? That he arguably didn't die a Jew is perhaps actually the true historical importance of Paul.

(No, we're not talking ethnicity here.)

14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think the "You're Christian if you accept Jesus Christ as your savior" thing misses the real world forest for the theoretical trees. Religion, no matter what anyone tells you, is about traditions. The founding myths, the dogma, the figures of worship - none of those is as important as the traditions. You join a church, not for the teachings, but for the traditions that connect you to the community and past generations.

Which is to say, the easiest way to answer the "Are Mormons Christians?" question is to ask, are the LDS traditions meant to provide a connection to Jesus Christ? Or are they meant to be something different from mainstream Western Christianity?

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Except a Mormon wouldn't say that. Salvation does not come from Jesus, and his death on the cross, but rather from their life history of good works.

Now, Christian theory, as practiced by 21st Century adherents, is changing, and I know many people who call themselves Christians who are offended by the notion of salvation as coming through Jesus' crucifixion (and its a long story as to what it is they believe). I wouldn't call them Christians either.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Val, I'm pretty sure Ismitje is a Mormon...

17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's a blanket statement with no basis except what I expect is your personal experience. Which is fully valid. I am born again, and was born again relatively late in life. The decisions about which churches I joined were made for the teachings, not the traditions. OK, my first church was the base chapel where I was stationed, and I did choose that one because I wanted one that was sensitive to the demands of the military.

Traditions are important to be sure, but lots of us join for the "dogma" as you would call it.

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was pretty much afraid of that as soon I posted. Too much background noise in the house today.

Ismitje: check your PMs

19. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's from my (admittedly limited) study of sociology.

Also, my convenient out is that it describes how people generally choose their religions and doesn't account for individual cases that might be outliers.

I'd argue that your decision was based on how the teachings informed the traditions, but then it would end up sounding like I'm caught in semantics, and I have the aforementioned out.

20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think I'm an outlier. I've spent a lot of time in a lot of different American churches, so that is the basis of my experience, and how and why people choose the church/denomination/form of faith matters a lot to me. Yes, the simple change of a tradition, like whether the priest faces the congregation while offering Communion as opposed to standing with his back to the congregation (a major issue in the Episcopal church in the 90s, for instance) can get people hot and bothered. But changing the emphasis on the teachings gets people just as riled up.

I also think that semantics matters, so the distinctions you make are important. I just don't agree with them.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heathens. The lot of you.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every Mormom I know would say that to you. In Mormonism, there's two levels of salvation: eternal life, gifted to all by the atonement of Jesus Christ, and exaltation, which requires both atonement and grace - and all we can do besides. That entails things like good works, charity, tithing, fasting, attendance at church, baptism, repentance, temple attendance, and the like.

It is true that the nature of the godhead differs in the Mormon belief system. It's quite different in fact.

What Mormons really lack is a hell in the sense of that in which other Christians believe.

Ultimately, I personally don't really care whether someone else thinks I am Christian or not, though it clearly matters to the Church as a whole. I don't ascribe membership in any church - or any faith for that matter - as equal to "qualifying" or not. Salvation is to be worked out individually with fear and trembling after all (thank you, Philippians!), and the LDS vision heaven suggests to me that there will be many more agnostics, non-Christians, and athiests sitting pretty than there will be Christian folks, Mormons included.

(that's right: eternal life for agnostics, athiests, Muslims, Buddhists, animists, Jews, Zoroastrians, and {almost} everyone else in heaven)

To me, the Liberty University thing says a lot more about the intolerance and narrowmindedness of the people there than it does about my belief system. I certainly am a very different brand of Christian than they are.

23. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    FWIW, I know many mainline Protestant clergy and academics who would argue that hell doesn't exist. I have also had some of these tell me that they don't broach the topic in sermons because they fear their flock wouldn't understand.

24. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a debate within evangelical circles currently as well.

There was a book written by Rob Bell entitled Love Wins arguing that hell, as we generally think of it, doesn't exist. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Love-Wins-About-Heaven-Person/dp/006204964X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335492297&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived (9780062049643): Rob Bell: Books[/ame]

The counterpoint to that was written by Francis Chan (a book I'm actually reading now) called Erasing Hell. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Erasing-Hell-about-eternity-things/dp/0781407257/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335492365&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Erasing Hell: What God said about eternity, and the things we made up (9780781407250): Francis Chan, Preston Sprinkle: Books[/ame]

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole "Mormons don't drink tea, coffee, booze, etc." has nothing to do with religion, it has everything to do with 19th Century attempts to stem the illicit activities associated with the sale of these commodities on the frontier.

It, like so much of the Mormon dogma, is complete horseshit.