Liberty University Students to Mitt: "You're Not Christian"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Interesting that Falwell invites Mitt to do the commencement speech after teaching his robots that Mormonism isn't a part of Christianity. They're just reacting to what they've been taught!

Washington (CNN) – Liberty University students and alumni are accusing the Christian school of violating its own teachings by asking Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints whose adherents are called Mormons, to deliver its 2012 commencement address.

By Friday morning, more than 700 comments had been posted on the school's Facebook page about the Thursday announcement - a majority of them decidedly against the Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr.’s invitation, citing that the school had taught them Mormonism isn’t part of the Christian faith.

“I can’t support Romney and I am happy I decided not to walk (in the commencement) this year,” wrote student Josh Bergmann. “Liberty University should have gotten a Christian to speak not someone who practices a cult. Shame on you Liberty University.”

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/20/libertys-choice-of-romney-leads-to-angry-student-response/

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I actually don't think the students are wrong. Mormonism is not Christianity -- from the Christian perspective it's a form of heresy. People are going to dance around this stuff because religion is such a touchy matter. But it's not like those kids at Liberty U aren't without foundation here.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Jefferson and Adams weren't Christians either. I wonder if Liberty students would protest their appearances? Well aside from them being undead ...

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    So, is their focus so narrow that a person cannot be a legitimate commencement speaker unless they practice Christianity?

Of course the issue much bigger than a commencement address is that evangelicals will simply not support him. Sure, there will be plenty of anti-Obama evangelical votes but there will be NO positive support out there for Mittens in the Evangelical community.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of people would say the stuff they practice at Liberty isn't very Christ-like either.

There are so many different versions of "christianity" is it hard to pick and choose which of them are and aren't "real christianity"?
    Is it like drawing the outlines of the real Virginia on a state of Virginia map? :rolleyes:

Would they have made the same cult reference if Santorum had been ahead and asked to speak? I personally see little to no difference between the different sects, but I think I've seen that evangelicals refer to the catholics as cultists - or is that what the catholics say about everyone else - I get so confused between the People's Front of Judea and the Judean People's Front ;)

6. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    They're bigots, but they are principled and rational bigots.

7. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Josh Bergmann is Christian, eh? Go figure.

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone remind me who it was that was talking about how all the evangelicals were going fall in behind Romney now?

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would bet if they had to decide where to go to college for four years, a majority of evangelicals would choose Brigham Young before Liberty.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    President Barack Hussein Obama, Jr. is The Uniter. He just needs Ray Hudson as his hype man.

Fido: I got Snowflake the cat to speak at our convention...
    Bowser: But Fido! She- she's a... a cat!
    Fido: Yeah, but her fur's like yours and like mine- white. That Zeppelin may be a dog -he barks, buries bones, chases cars and licks his balls like the rest of us, but I'm just not sure... anyhow, his fur's black. Do I need to explain?
    Bowser: No, Fido, I get it.

Falwell can at least rest assured that none of these... students... will vote for President Obama even if they don't vote for Romney.

Gotta love the "cult" epithet, like that matters. There are at least four communities of snake-handlin', tambourine-shakin' Mel Kiper lookalike contest winnin' Sunday rockabillies within 45 minutes of my house. Bet the Libertarians :D never called them a cult...

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Mormons aren't Christians.

To me, that doesn't mean they're inferior, any more than Jews or Muslims or Zoroastrians are inferior. They're not in the club. They're in another club, a fine club, just one I don't belong to.

Any person who understands the basic tenets of Christianity understands this in a second. Not sure what the rest of y'all are thinking.

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who needs college when you can just work at your dad's dealership...

[​IMG]

14. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Jay to Liberty University Students: "You're not American"

15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to add a few specifics on this, if you don't care, Dave. There are quite a few differences between Mormons and Christians. Mormons have 2 entire additional books that they use in addition to the Bible as Scripture. In addition, if the elders of the church say something, they consider that Scripture. Southern Baptists, for example, don't come close to considering anything the President of the SBC says as scripture, even though they may or may not agree with it.

Another main difference is that Mormons have a different view of Jesus than Christians. Mormons have a "works-based" salvation, where if you do certain things, such as being baptized in the temple, married in the temple, and avoid certain other things, then you in essence can go to heaven (it's much more complicated, but that's a thumbnail sketch).

Christians believe that salvation comes through faith in and a relationship with Jesus Christ, and as a result of that, you will do good things and gradually sin less. Our not sinning doesn't save us, but Jesus alone saves us, and, as a result, we sin less. The result of a legitimate relationship with Jesus will be shown by caring for the poor and needy (and do more so over time) and we will also do less things that Jesus said were wrong.

16. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that the Liberty University students are correct about whether LDS church is Christian. And to think that many people think Liberty U. doesn't teach its students anything.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which then again begs fatbastard's question. Replace "elder" with "pope", and you can ask the question whether by your definition if Catholicism is a Christian religion. My point is, if you claim a belief in Christ and following HIS teachings as a way to salvation/enlightenment isn't that what a Christian is? What is the cutoff on what we do/do not consider a Christian?

18. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good question.

And that is why the Nicene creed was written in the 4th century, to answer that question.

By the way, the Nicene creed does not say anything about organizational details like the Pope.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you can't, because Catholics don't believe that what the Pope says becomes Scripture.

Mt. Mike hit probably THE biggest point. Mormons have a different view of how a person is saved, and a different view of baptism. That is SO at the core of Christian theology and practice.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Do the Pope's proclamations count as scripture? Anyway, that's a bit different because I think Mormons listen to their elders and Catholics couldn't be bothered doing what the Pope says.

Good question. I'd say one God, one Son of God, the Son was Jesus, the Son died for our sins, the Son was resurrected. Which I believe makes Mormons Christians by my definition.

Edit - I now see Dave's post. Eh, I'm not convinced. Seems like second-order issues. Catholics and Protestants used to believe that they were so different than only one of them could be Christians. Not so. Both Christians.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    My guess is that there is little that can make Jesus chuckle more than Christians judging the Chritianess of other Christians. That's clearly what he was all about. ;)

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Except for Jesus rising from the dead and vacationing in Palm Beach to teach the locals about Christianity...or something like that which I think is in the Book of Mormon.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How can a religion that says that Christ is the only divine human who ever existed not be "Christian"?

I don't intend to argue theology. I understand that there are key differences and that conventional Christians might be horrified by what's in Mormonism. I'm just saying, in the grand scheme of things you guys have God + Christ the Son of God, those guys have God + Christ the Son of God. Come on now, that's mighty similar.

All that said, I get the Liberty kids. This isn't Christianity as they define the term. Fair enough.

24. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In essence, you're right.

Regarding Catholic teaching in general, there are certain things about Catholicism that make me, as an evangelical, somewhat uncomfortable. The main thing, I think, is the elevation of the Virgin Mary to almost equal status with Jesus. Some areas or individual jurisdictions do this more than others. There are things I disagree with, such as confessional--where a parishioner confesses their sins to the Priest and then they do a deed, such as saying a certain number of Hail Mary's, etc. and then they're good. Evangelicals have a doctrine called "the priesthood of the believer" which in essence says because of Jesus' death, we don't need to go through another man (priest) to get to God, we are able to approach him directly due to Jesus' sacrifice.

Some people do think that Catholicism is borderline Christian at best. I think it depends on the situation. For instance, I have no doubt that Mother Theresa, who spent her life fulfilling the call of Christ, was a Christian. However, as we all know, there are actions by members of the church that don't line up with Christ's teachings and teachings of the church that most evangelicals don't view as accurate.

25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more important questions are whether the reactions of the Liberty graduates were appropriate.

I bet Obama is delighted with this turn of events.