Liberty Cup - a pre-season derby tournament idea

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by oneeyedfool, Apr 6, 2014.

1. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Was this not suggested under the name "The Tri-state cup" earlier?..

3. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Why would MLS and NYCFC give any oxygen to the Cosmos ?

4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly my thoughts in the Cosmos version of this thread. The Cosmos would have nothing to lose but quite a bit to gain. Imagine what they could gain among the casual fans of the area if they happened to win this thing a couple of times.

5. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not like the Red Bulls have taken New York by storm. For example go to espn NY and they are on the same level as the WNBA team. NYC FC are a new team. All parties would benefit from promotion that gets more attention for soccer in the area in general. I would agree with your point if this was the Yankees, Mets, Long Island Ducks and Newark Bears. The MLS teams are still at a level of lack of general awareness where some type of bragging rights tournament hyped up in the local sports media would benefit them.

6. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Cosmos are a minor league team that draws 5-6K and maxed out with 12K at first game ( I would consider NYCFC a failure if they only drew 12k to their opener) , nothing more. It would be exactly the same thing as a Yankee, Met, Long Island Duck tourney. The MLS sides have nothing to gain and it would only feed into the delusion that some have that the NASL is somehow a co-top division with MLS.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Cosmos are minor league like Red Bull and City are feeder affiliates for European clubs. That's not really what the tournament I've proposed is about. It's meant to be a regional tournament regardless of league. The fourth spot could go to Philadelphia, Rochester or even a play-in of the winner of a round of local metro area NPSL/PDL teams. Perhaps you are afraid NYC FC will lose?

8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It has nothing to do with who could win or lose a game. This makes no business sense for RBNY, NYCFC, or MLS. Why would they give any kind of promotion to a team/league that fancy's itself being a business competitor of MLS ? It would be the same of thinking that McDonalds should promote Burger King's Wopper.

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    This has run its course.
    If it turns into simply insulting each other's teams, I'll close it.

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Sport Billy you rule this forum with an iron fist.

Ed, I don't think MLS sees NASL as a threat. It is an incubator for franchises MLS will one day poach like San Antonio, Indy and Minnesota. So I don't agree with your Whopper comparison. Peterson can talk all he wants but MLS does and should see a strong D2 as a good thing

11. Duffington

Duffington Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't see how this would be a bad thing.

Do you honestly see newcomers to American soccer leagues or the sport as a whole choosing a D2 team? The people who attend or take interest in this tournament will either already have pledged their allegiance to one of the clubs (majority of attendees) or probably haven't followed the MLS, NASL, USL, etc.. much, if any at all. If they end up choosing to follow one of the clubs after seeing the tournament, I don't see many passing up two MLS teams for a lower division club. I'd guess that no more than 10% of the newbies would choose the Cosmos.

Are there any other possible negatives? NYRB and NYCFC will make money, the club's supporters will love to have regional bragging rights and silverware, and it's more exposure for them as well. Seems like a win - win all around to me.

Lucho305 repped this.
  12. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    NY is a "major league" city. In general there is little interest in minor league teams (as evidenced by the 5-6K attendance despite all the Cosmos hype). Make this some sort of exhibition pre-season thing even less interest. MLS knows that bringing in big Euro teams to play friendlies is the way to make money, not playing minor league teams.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer the name Big Apple Cup myself.

14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+