LFC Manager Search

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by 5_EUROPEAN_CUPS, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps they will explain on the final appointment day:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

:eek::D

blanconi repped this.
  2. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

3. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez record at Swansea P 125 W 63 D 25 L 39 W% 50.40
    Rodgers record at Swansea P 96 W 43 D 20 L 33 W% 44.79

Martinez was the first Swansea manager since their first manager in 1914 to have a win percent over 50%. That manager coached 2 games.

lcstriker11 repped this.
  4. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think you are missing some important data there. The majority of Martinez's games were in League One, not the Championship or the Premiership.

5. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you want to get promoted from League One or avoid relegation Martinez is your man!

6. bromanLFC

bromanLFC New Member

May 21, 2012
    IN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had quick success in lesser situations or leagues, which is pretty much a must if you're young and going to get sniffs from a job like Liverpool. But stepping up is always a gamble and usually requires a settling-in period, and I'm sure FSG as experienced sportsmen know that. If they were going for the low-risk, instant-success route, surely they'd focus on Fabio Capello and Louis van Gaal, both of which are available on a free. Instead, they've been put on the back burner for younger, less-experienced and less-proven options. That says something, doesn't it?

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Transparency and communication is key here, especially with a club like Liverpool. I think the supporters warrant at least that after the disastrous last two years. Names are being thrown out there left and right but not all of them are realistic or indicative of what exactly is happening.

8. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah, that they cant afford a Capello or a LVG and the guarantees they would demand regarding transfers and wages structures.

9. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to Boston, meet you in Liverpool, or London -- heck we dont know what the ******** we want to do:eek:

10. bromanLFC

bromanLFC New Member

May 21, 2012
    IN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? They couldn't afford De Boer and certainly not Klopp but they approached both of them.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just pointing out the instant success of Rodgers wasn't any more instant than Martinez. Martinez took an average League One team, completely changed the way they played, and got them solidly into the top half of the Championship. Rodgers took what Martinez built, and continued the progression. Lets see how he does once the big boys start picking off his players, like they have done to Martinez for the past 3 years.

poopoobigelow repped this.
  12. bromanLFC

bromanLFC New Member

May 21, 2012
    IN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transparency and communication are great things and I wouldn't begrudge them to anyone, but I don't think they have to be instantaneous. It's been, what, a week? If a month out we're still floating with nothing, then I'll be sweating.

13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Who have the big boys picked off Martinez. Nzogbia to Villa is the only one I can think of. Also I think your giving Martinez too much credit for getting out of League One as it had far more to do with the move from Vetch feild to the almost double capacity of Liberty stadium.

14. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To me KK's sacking was exactly that, a year's worth of uncertainty. A new coach could well mean another year or two of transition. If so, then what?

15. bromanLFC

bromanLFC New Member

May 21, 2012
    IN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think trying something, failing, and scrapping that plan equates with uncertainty as much as it does changing direction, though.

16. chippybrady

chippybrady Member

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wonder if Lawrensen or Hansen have any coaching experience, they sure talk a good game

17. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we could continue in circles on this, but I'm going to stop with you crediting a stadium for the success and progress of a team.

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wow, were you advising Hicks and Gillete with similar advice.

A bigger stadium means more money to invest in the squad, pretty simple especially when dealing with the fine lines and almost non-existant TV money of League One. Going from 12,000 to 20,000 makes a huge difference especially when competing in a league where more than half the stadiums are under 12,000.

19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like this piece on AvB's success and failures and why he could work at Liverpool.

el-capitano repped this.
  20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There's just not much of a sense of direction, which given what has been happening, is very important for supporters. Both because the owners are "outsiders" entrusted with something "sacred" and because this club has certain standards to live up to. I don't think thats unreasonable.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  21. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the presumptions our fan base is making about the owners and their intentions, based solely on their "lack of communication". Look, I didn't want Kenny gone, simply because he's an absolute legend and the very definition of class act. At the same time, I can appreciate the balls it took for FSG to ask him to take a non-managerial role with the club (and at the same time respect that Kenny told them to shove it up their collective ass).

The fact that they axed a man whose popularity within the city/club cannot be measured on any scale shows that they are indeed ambitious. Kenny was always a stop-gap. They knew Hodgson had to go and Kenny was the man to run the show in the interim. He had a great first couple of months but the summer and season that followed were, by most accounts, a disaster. Rather than wading through another season of poor results, where we finish a staggering 17 points off fourth, FSG wanted to rebuild immediately, and they cleaned house.

To me, that shows intention. I don't care that I'm not getting an email from Tom Werner telling me in rosy words about their ambitions. I don't care that they aren't holding press conferences detailing their plans about "their vision" and who they're targeting as the next manager. What I see is an ambitious, albeit slightly ruthless, group of owners who want their plan to get off the ground, starting with the hiring of the manager they want, who will be here for the long haul.

I'm coming around to Martinez, actually, but I really think it will be Villa-Boas. I wish it were Benitez.

22. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't help but laugh at this

23. Strikers20

Strikers20 Member

May 4, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To be honest. My top choices are probably all unrealistic.

I wouldn't be up in arms about Martinez. Like I said. I like him. But give me someone who has won a domestic league. Not anyone obviously, but that's what even names like Villas-Boas and De Boer interest me more than Martinez.

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Van Gaal to Liverpool picking up steam.

25. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member