Leveraged Sellout - The Arsenal Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Sep 14, 2008.

1. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    26. Barcelona

Roman Abramovich's Chelsea could only muster 46th in the table while other soccer teams making up the top 50 included Bayern Munich (19th), AC Milan (34th) and Juventus (49th).

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/1802...n-forbes-magazine-dallas-cowboys-new-york.htm

2. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    yet we spend less than sunderland.
    pathetic.
    i swear the board is just happy getting rich and being in contention for a top 4 every year.
    no ambition to take the next step.

3. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is this in terms of market capitalisation/equity value? This has little to do with how much money we have to spend. If anything, it simply means our equity is of a high value, and can attract new shareholders.

Our inability to spend is down to Wenger, nothing else. He simply doesn't, and frankly never has, believed in making mega buys.

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You can't spend your house without taking on debt.

Arsenal the object is worth money, they can take debt against that value to spend if they so desire. Much like a second and third mortgage. It doesn't mean that they have vast sums of money that AW sweeps in to piles for the board members to dive into.

6. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  7. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    According to AST today, £50m still available to spend. Maybe we'll spend some of it in the January transfer window.

8. The English Hacker

Aug 8, 2011
    Toronto
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  9. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    It's interesting. I read those guys book. IIRC though, the TPI doesn't account for salary. Only transfer costs. So, getting a guy on the last year of his contract at a bargain but having to pay an over the odds wage isn't fully reflected. Maybe they changed that or I misunderstood.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you should read the article

11. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wage bill rose to £124 million

1% increase in football revenues

Profit of £12.8 million

A gap of £54 million in commercial revenue between Arsenal and Manure

Yikes we need new commercial deals badly

http://twitter.com/#!/timpayton

12. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    love to see how that wage bill number is broken down.
    25 man squad? employee, coaching staff, etc?
    awfully vague.

13. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    if previous discussions are anything to go by, then it is everyone directly employed by arsenal fc. 350 odd if memory serves me right.

14. ZIAD

ZIAD Member

Oct 11, 2004
    I believe AW is the highest paid manager in the league. I'm not sure if Im 100% correct, but I can recall reading an article about it.

We have a high wage bill because we over pay our mediocre players like Bendter, Diaby etc.. wages that are way too high for their ability. As Man city has problems with flogging off their over paid stars, we have a similar situation with our mediocre players. That is why Bendter and Denilson were hard to sell to other teams this summer, as their wages are way too high considering their ability.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I find this hard to believe. We pay our manager more than MUFC or Chelsea do?

2. Are manager salaries public info?

16. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsene is a legend, he warrants it.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Our manager makes the club 10's of Millions each year in xfer money. A monkey could win with Fergie's squad and xfer budget.

18. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
  20. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great article as always from the Swiss Ramble. #1 chump Gazidis needs to be canned.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    that article was posted a few days ago in another thread, excellent read though

22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Nice article.

It's kind of clear that the current guard is a little hamstrung. I don't see how one can blame Gazidis for our lack of commercial growth. All our major income sources are tied up in long term deals. Sure, they can be renegotiated early, but that puts us at a poorer bargaining position and would simply repeat our previous follies.

There also is pretty significant xfer money available, but it's clear AW refuses to use it so I don't see how he or the board can be blamed for that. I also don't necessarily buy into the wage structure limiting AW's options. A signing bonus plus performance bonuses are ways of compensating top players such that a rigid wage structure is not upset--i.e. instead of giving an extra 20k/wk you give an extra 2-3m signing bonus--essentially a xfer fee payed to the player.

Failing to have top players hurts our commercial side too. Sponsors care about exposure brand recognition. Top players get a lot more exposure and clubs with a history of keeping them on their roster can command higher prices from sponsors.

IMO, our four failings of recent have been

1) Lack of depth at key positions--rests on AW's shoulders as he's put faith in youth/peripheral players that have largely failed to deliver when called upon.

2) Failure to keep stars or replace them with established equivalents--again, rests with AW. Despite maybe 1-2 years where spending would have been difficult, it's clear that even when funds are clearly available AW refuses to use them.

3) Set piece defense--from season to season we simply get worse at defending set pieces. Clearly a coaching failure.

4) Failure to conclude transfer dealing before start of season--probably shared between AW and the board. AW clearly has the final word so he is at least partly responsible. I'm guessing also that the board tries to get the best possible deal by waiting 'til the last or simply dragging feet.

This season will be the true test of AW's policies. No excuses. Injuries happen, players want away, shots hit the post and refs make poor decisions. You have be prepared to deal with those things by having depth, good incentive structure and ambition to keep players, good scouting/selection of players that are mentally strong and can handle life in the premiership.

23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not really. You live in DC (I presume) so you've witnessed Danny Boy's recent attempts to buy victories. Money can usually buy a base level of competitiveness, but winning it all, well that's usually harder.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    people really need to stop comparing American sports dynamics to what goes on in Europe. Its completely different.

And that isnt to take away any credit from Fergie, but they had a lot of advantages from the start of the premiership to now.

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah, the american system is nothing like the european sports really, especially football