Leveraged Sellout - The Arsenal Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    all £25k of it?

2. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There were some rumblings, without citation, by various Arsenal FB pages that the Fat Man is ready to buy-off Silent Stan, who blew a huge chunk of cash on some ranch. Anyone got any links? I can't seem to find any.

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, 25k a year to sit in the director's box and have free food and booze. Nice work if you can get it.

The Directors Box in London's Emirates Stadium gives new zest to the phrase luxury suite. Arriving on a private elevator, guests are greeted by an attractive hostess, shown to tables with floral centerpieces in the opposing team's colors, and seated in chairs upholstered in leather that has been dyed Arsenal red and embossed with the club's logo. They eat smoked fish imported from Scandinavia, burrata cheese from Italy and lamb from the British countryside, all washed down with champagne from France. As the Gunners' players and 60,000-plus fans, most swaddled in red scarves, brave a cold, rainy, heartlessly gray afternoon, the denizens of the Directors Box bask in warmth, comfort and conviviality.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206450/index.htm

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kroenke bought a giant ranch in Montana, but it seems like an investment. I doubt he is going to sell.

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldn't be surprised if Kroenke has figured our that he won't be making money on us any time soon, if anything, its more probable that he loses money on the club.

6. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    as opposed to £50k per week for some of our "players" to sit around and do the same?

fs anti, if you're going to be sarcastic at least get the info first....he owns the companies he is on the boards of (nope), he gets a wage to his living standard (nope), he does nothing (got any proof?). now you're scraping the barrel about free food.....

7. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he doesn't get free tickets, food and drink in a directors box? What is that worth? The club charges about 400 pounds a game for similar hospitality packages. But yeah, i'm sure he earns it telling stories about his school days at Eton. I wonder why the rest of his family is running their conglomerate, while he is sitting around playing bridge and engaging in "country pursuits"?

8. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would that work? According to that article he only invested 450 million dollars in Arsenal, and the club is now worth around a billion. Plus the club is sitting on around 300 million dollars in cash right now. I don't see how that is a money loser.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly. Plus there is 150m cash in the accounts.

10. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure it's closer to 200 million pounds now, after the sales of RVP and Song.

11. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    ok, since you're determined to be a smartarse despite already scraping the barrel for something to pick over....how many games does he attend, does he eat the free food provided, does he even use the directors box and if so, how much are arsenal not making when directors use it (ie, does it EVER get hired out during matches), how little does he do at board meetings (exactly, and does he bring his own pen?), and, just to be annoying, if you don't know the answer to how much or little he does, how can you then suggest that a director of a multi million company takes less than the median london wage for all jobs?
    you're just being a whiney twat again, aren't you?

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he doesn't get to as many games as he would like to, with his busy schedule of bridge games, "country pursuits", horse races and drinks at his gentlemen's clubs. In fact it's quite charitable of him to sacrifice his precious free time to slave away in Arsenal's boardroom for nothing more than some free hospitality and a piddling two grand a month. Just wondering why you are so protective of Sir Chips, are you his bridge partner or something? ;)

13. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i just think (know actually) you're spouting sh!te without a clue and deserve pulled up on it.
    (and he's just another tory c**t. friendship would be the last thing on my mind)

14. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We have been a good investment up until now, but should we slip up and fail to the make the CL, and go into a bit of a spiral like Liverpool, where we spend a few years outside the top 4 (which is not unthinkable given our ability to retain talent), our finances won't be looking so good. The only way I can see Kroenke making money on this in the long run is if we were to start winning silverware again, and that in itself will cost a hefty sum. If he could make a small profit now and move on, he should.

15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think he got those banking jobs and board appointments on his own brilliance, not on family and school connections? Seems unlikely to me, but if you want to believe it, good for you. How did he get the Arsenal job anyway? Oh yeah, his compatriot at Hambros Bank and fellow Old Etonian PHW. And their former boss at Hambros? Fellow Old Etonian, Baron Hambro! What jolly good fun! lol

16. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ftr, I'm not saying the board never did anything; just that they have no real role anymore.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That champagne in the director's box isn't going to drink itself.

WoodDraw repped this.
  18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    you're talking, but you are saying absolutely nothing worthwhile. wipe the rabid drool off your mouth and have another go, and for god sake try and post something (anything?) to make a case that's more substantial than the drivel you've been posting. he's a toff and therefore must do nothing and be useless......that's your whole argument. fs. that's feeble.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Exactly. The guy hasn't held down a full time job in almost 20 years, does that tell you anything?Why does it make you so upset? I really don't get it, you're always so angry. Must be a side effect of living on a soggy potato patch. I thought the Irish had a sense of humor. Maybe that's just the Republic. Only other Northern Irishman i can name is Van Morrison, and he's an angry little bastard himself.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    more worthless bollocks. you're starting your argument from a position that you definitely know what he does and how little/much he works or influences/makes decisions. you don't at all, and so it's flawed from the start and everything else is bs.
    it even took you about 3 goes to even find something you were right on (that he's a rich toff).

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that i've ever seen him credited with is joining Fiszman and PHW in forcing out Keith Edelman, who of course was replaced with Ivan Gazidis. Well done, chaps. Cheerio.

You stated that he was on the boards of multiple companies. I pointed out your mistake there. He was at one time, but no longer is except for Arsenal. When i pointed out that is apparently his only paying job right now, you pointed out that he only makes 25k pounds, which many Americans would accept as decent pay for a full time job. Then you started getting upset. Anyway, let's get started on Lord Harris of Peckham, shall we? ;)

22. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone here come up with a single thing the board has done post-takeover, other than build statues of themselves and send PHW out to be a patronizing douche?

23. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You're such a wind up merchant lol.

PS - Potatos are so last centuary, get with the now

24. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghost estates? ;)

Sorry, bro. I shouldn't let it get to me.

25. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    he's an even bigger tory twat, but in his defence he donates to a lot of educational stuff.