Leveraged Sellout - The Arsenal Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Sep 14, 2008.

1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PHW sold out long before Kroenke got involved. He sold the club to Dein for a song, Dein flipped it to Fiszman for a huge profit, then Fiszman sold it on to Kroenke for another huge profit. They just keep PHW around out of tradition, plus his usual foolishness is a convenient distraction.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aha. I thought PHW still retained a few shares independent of what Fizman did.

So if we're getting closer to a new chairman, I guess it's not going to be a Hill Wood then.

Do you think a new chairman could have much more positive an effect than PHW had, or is this position largely a cermonial, occassional public-face-of-the-board, kind of thing?

3. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume it is going to be the same. They will find some other upper class twit to make a fool of himself in the papers a few times a year. Could be a job for Boris Johnson.

WoodDraw repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

red & wite army and lamb repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm... Boris... what a good idea. He's an Islington lad I believe. On my last trip over (May 2008), post-match, we were walking down Seven Sister or some such... and there was Boris!... just walking down the sidewalk alone. No bodyguard or nothin... lookin care free & happy. Not like he just took on being the mayor of one of the biggest most complex cities or anything. I hear he's pretty darn popular dude in certain circles. But something tells me he doesn't know a bicycle from an indirect free.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he does it more than a few times a yea rthough lol

7. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    you missed the chance to (**censored**)

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dein was never Chairman of Arsenal, its been a Hill-Wood since the 20s, thats why PHW has the position.

Its mostly ceremonial, so I suspect some male heir of PHW will take over that title.

9. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The entire board is symbolic. Does anyone really think Arsene is going into January wondering what Sir Chips Keswick and Lord Harris are thinking?

There are three people at Arsenal that matter: Arsene, Gazidis, and Kroenke. Everyone else exists to entertain their friends in the directors club.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whatever. I still think we should make a human sacrifice of PHW to get more transfer funds.

(I'm being facetious, so chill out if you're offended)

11. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the entire board kept a symbolic shareholding until the sale to Kroenke. As far as I remember, everyone involved has sold.

12. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they all hold a small handful of shares. And by handful, i mean you could literally count them on one hand.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sir Chips Kenswick

what a name, lol

14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It sounds like the name of a most famous Nigerian prince-general who keeps e-mailing me

I've told him so many times I don't have a Western Union near me

DK021 repped this.
  15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    tell you what, for being a symbolic board member, he sure as hell has an impressive list of boards he's a director on. they are multi-billion £ operations, and that's not even counting the bank of england, which is into the hundreds of trillions.

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

The board members are not symbolic.

Especially the non-execs will have been choosen for their experience and contacts in key industries or sectors.

They don't run the club - that is what the CEO and Wenger are supposed to be doing.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I never said his position was symbolic, nor PHW's role on the board is symbolic.

I wasnt that clear, I meant PHW's role leading the discussion at AGMs and other stuff is symbolic because of his family. I dont doubt there is other value to having those guys on the board.

18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    no, you didn't. wooddraw before you did, but you mentioned keswick's name, so i just quoted you. sorry for the confusion.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alan Davies has lots of fun talking about Chips and his ear trumpet.

"What's Peter old boy saying? Where's my ear trumpet?"

Always good for a giggle.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked on the Bank of England's website and didn't see him listed as a director. Anyway, of those other businesses, how many do his family own? It's not hard to get well paying, no work jobs on corporate boards when your family has pretty much owned Hong Kong for 200 years.

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats fair, but the point is he is on those boards and can use his connections to benefit the club (we hope). No one is talking about how he got those role.

22. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, our commercial department has done brilliantly under this board's leadership. :/ Even the executives boxes and club level areas have been struggling. Isn't that a main area where they should be using their connections?

I see the board as nothing but a legacy of the pre-Kroenke days. They all sold out, and as part of that agreement Kroenke promised them they could all stick around and go on with their charade. Even Nina Bracewell-Smith, who the board had kicked out fairly unceremoniously, was welcomed back in as "honoary" something when she agreed to sell to Kroenke. Basically she got her acess to the directors box back.

23. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i should have said "on or been on"
    here are the appropriate dates:
    http://www.debretts.com/people/biog...ohn) Chippendale Lindley (Chips)+KESWICK.aspx
    afaik he doesn't own any of those companies.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    what in the dickens are you talking about? Im talking about the connections that the board members have. Dont you think that Sir Chips Kenswick's connects at the Bank of England got the club a good deal on the stadium loan?

We have no idea what else those people get for the club behind the scenes. This is completely different than the commercial stuff.

25. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States