Leveraged Sellout - The Arsenal Finance Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Rewinder, Sep 14, 2008.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for digging that up. The figures are from a few years ago, and they aren't all from the same year, but it does give you a general sense that Gazidis is close to the very top although a few guys are ahead of him.

Also, the columns include: Pay, Turnover, Profit/Loss. But the one key one they left out is Trophies!

2. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The Chavs announce a profit for the first time since the Russian took over. £166M in loans he made to the club converted to shares. Magic! FFP, lol Gazidis.

yossarian repped this.
  3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Is this new? I recall him doing something like this a year or so ago as well. It's such a sham.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Of course the loans - being interest free - and not relevant for FPP anyway - even if not converted to equity.

The loans themselves don't help with FPP as they don't count as income.

5. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    They don't help with FFP directly but the club does not have to pay back (even if they had the money) loans that they would normally have to if they had borrowed from a bank. Do I have that wrong?

6. ChapacoSoccer

ChapacoSoccer Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At this point you can only ascribe the decisions to the general Arsenal marketing incompetence. How could they decide to just write off the U.S. market? Gazidis seems determined to turn Arsenal into a small club with a narrow fanbase. There is a reason successfully marketed clubs like ManU make trip after tip- its where the money is.

At some point when you think an organization is completely incompetent, then it really is incompetent. Gazidis and Co. have no idea what they are doing.

-And I am most upset by this because my son is now a Real Madrid Fan. Because they bothered to make a trip and he got to see a wonderfully skilled team.

7. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like they have given up and ceded the US to ManU and Chelski.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's right. But the repayments would have been capital payments - not expenses for FFP.

9. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Arsenal re-ups with the Emirates, signs 5 year extension on shirt sponsorship, 150 mil, 30 mil per year, stadium continues to be named "The Emirates" for extended period as well, beyond 2021.

http://www.arsenal.com/Emiratesnewdeal

10. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best reaction to Emirates contract extension on Facebook: "LANS: Like a New Sponsor" :)

Per ArseBlog, this puts us at #2, behind Man Ure (for now, anyway). It seems that the other clubs' contracts are also up soon, so maybe we will be left in the financial dust again? Who knows?

"Earlier this year Manchester Unitedagreeda record £357 million package with American car manufacturer Chevrolet which will see them earning at least £45 million a season until 2021. While that deal remains unsurpassed, Arsenal’s agreement with Emirates will catapult them up the shirt sponsorship leaderboard into second place behind the Old Trafford side.
    In December 2010 Barcelona agreed a five-year deal worth £125 million with the Qatar Foundation (soon to be Qatar Airways), Bayern Munich agreed a £71 million three-year partnership with Deutsche Telecom running until 2013, while Liverpool, Manchester City and Sunderland each earn £20 million a year from Standard Chartered, Etihad Airways and Invest in Africa respectively.
    Arsenal’s £30 million a season package is nearly double the £16.8 million which reigning La Liga side Real Madrid earn with betting company Bwin and three times the figure which Tottenham make from their dual-partners Autonomy and Investec."

11. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    its a great deal, but it will be dwarfed within a year or 2

whats funny is that all those supposed top commercial guys we got, who are supposedly burning the midnight oil to get the best deals possible, ended up staying with the shirt sponsors we already have.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It IS a really good deal. It means we'll be selling our best players every summer for EVEN MOAR MONEY$.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I take back what I said. The deal kicks in after 2014. I was under the impression that the deal would kick in next season, and run till 2018. But if we're still getting 5.5m this season and next, we got scalped, because everyone else's deals will be up for renewal in 2015/2016, so we'll be at a revenue disadvantage again unless the sponsorship market crashes (which is possible with the Eurozone's issues).

14. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gaz Man: "“We have been able to talk to Emirates about the payment terms and bring some of them forwards, so that we will have additional money in this financial year which will be able to invest in the summer.
    “Those decisions on investment are made by our manager, and he has done an outstanding job of managing the resources of the club over time, and we expect that to continue, but he will have more resources available.”

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But that essentially makes it a 7 year/ 150m deal, which isn't quite as favorable. And its not as if we spend the 150m quid that the club has on hand for investment.

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Doesn't really seem all that sweet to me. United have a 50% better deal, which is ridiculous money I agree, but as prince said our deal will be dwarfed in the next few years and we will be moaning about it again soon. I'm probably bitter b/c I don't really like having "Emirates" on my shirts...I think a better shirt sponsor would help shirt sales as well--maybe not a lot, but I have a few friends who will not buy the Emirates shirts.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    why would your friends not buy Emirates?

And the one, and potentially significant, positive about this move is the Eurozone crisis and that money may not be there in a few years.

In saying that, Asia is always there.

18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Same reason some Qataris might not want to walk around with

[​IMG]
    On their chest.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More money to invest this summer!

Will it be in stocks or bonds?

crazy150 repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    dude - please tell me you are not this politically ignorant!

21. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, as you're gonna go there, I'd rather wear the Arsenal Emirates shirt than have Arsenal Football Club being associated with Apartheid, colonialism, ethnic cleansing, religious bigotry and sectarianism, racism, White Power and all that awful jive.

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Without turning this political, all he was saying was that he had friends that didn't like the UAE. That's a far cry from bashing Israel.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  23. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    What!? I was using that to explain to Prince that some people of certain ethnic groups are not fond of advertising governments which they are highly critical of, that's all...but thanks for illustrating my point quite vividly. For the record, I was not suggesting that I'd rather have El Al as our shirt sponsor either.

I'd prefer no sponsor at all, but if we are to have one in order to compete I'd prefer a more neutral sponsor in terms of political and world views go at least. It's touchy...I have some very religious friends in the South who will not buy merchandise for their favorite NASCAR drivers because they are sponsored by beer companies as well. There is also the Wonga problem at Newcastle which is annoying many devout muslims.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it's a fcuking name on a shirt, arsenal get money from emirates regardless

if the adidas kit is gonna be nice.....ill wait till the end of the season and cop it for cheap dons

25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In fairness, I did not want to assume anything or else I would end up looking ignorant if I guessed wrong.

hmmm

I guess I get your point, to an extent. There are a lot of other things pertaining to these issues, that are associated with Arsenal that could also be seen as pretty offensive too.

But its there prerogative.