Letter from MLS Commissioner Don Garber re: Wednesday's postponed NY-DC match

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tab5g, Nov 8, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with your general point, but something tells me the contracts at PPL wouldn't make this as easy as it sounds.

2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true. If that's the reason, they should have said so. It seems like an annoying, but valid reasons. If Unions (@ the Union stadium) say no, then its no and fans couldn't rightfully be angry at the league, just at the situation. Based on what they said it sounds more like they tried and it just seemed like it might not have been the best option. I realize DC won, but I don't agree that this decision or the delaying before postponing rather than postponing a little farther ahead of time was a good move. I do, however, appreciate that they at least apologized to it before sticking it to Najar with another 2 games. I know the DC is a different body, but it still annoyed me that they gave him 2 extra games.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? Sorry, Najar was an idiot and deserved the penalty based on the fact that they gave out extra games for similar incidents earlier in the year (Shea and Old Spice). The fact that the playoff structure got screwed with is no excuse to let Najar off the hook.

4. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin

GAME OVER!

Jasonma repped this.
  5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My opinion is that its not 100% certain (although it is certainly likely) that he threw the ball at the ref. If we knew for sure he did throw it at the ref, I'd agree with the three games based on MLS precedent. I'm not convinced that anyone can know with enough certainty if he did intend to throw it at the ref (other than Najar of course). Certainly a stupid move and I'm NOT condoning it or saying it shouldn't have been a red. I'm just saying I'm not *sure* it deserved additional games.
    Also, did Beckham get 3 games when he kicked the ball at the ref? Now on that one, it's clear what he was doing.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, OK. You're entitled to your opinion but personally I'd like some of what you're smoking.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked to me like he turned around and threw it as he turned around while the ref was running toward him to give him the yellow. There's certainly a chance that he was just throwing it back toward the spot of the foul hard because he was frustrated rather than actually trying to hit the ref with the ball. I don't think that you'd have to be smoking anything to think that may have been what happened. As I said, I do think there's a better chance that he threw it at the ref though. My main point is that I don't think its an open and shut case.
    I don't smoke, but if you're in Colorado, you can have some now, right?

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I have no problem with criticism. Calling him useless, however, isn't criticism - unless you're willing to explain why he's useless in the face of the many positive developments during his tenure.

It's one thing to say he screwed the pooch over Sandy, the Nor'easter, and the DC/NY series.

That's criticism - and quite valid criticism at that.

But just calling him names because you disagree with something is juvenile an out of place in N&A.

Jasonma repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-11-03-dc-v-ny/highlights/205124

He's looking right at the referee.

Jasonma repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don Garber wants you to believe that he's the right man for Commissioner of Major League Soccer. He claims that his time in office has seen the league standardize the game rules, expand to new markets, and saw the construction of soccer specific stadiums in several markets accross the league.

But when a freak storm threatened to shut down a playoff series, Don Garber made spelling errors in his apology letter to the fans for the less than optimal solution the league implimented in very untennable situation.

Don Garber.
    Wrong on spelling.
    Wrong for MLS.

The BigSoccer Users Against Intelligent Thought Super PAC is responsible for the content of this message.

looknohands and Jasonma repped this.
  12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd settle for him and rest of MLS HQ staying out of supporter issues as a penance :D

stangspritzring repped this.
  13. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002