Let's sign injured players to cover for our injured players - the summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by blueguitar322, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphex

aphex Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was about to ask you what the hell 'Arsenal Quality' meant :rolleyes: lol

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1227 charlie15, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    It is really puzzling to read stuff like that. Are you just trying to be controversial? SMH.
    Let me put some names of starting national team strikers just the last 15 years, no need to go further.....
    Gignac, Gomis, Remy, Trezeguet, Steve Marlet, Govou, Frederic Nee, Louis Saha, Giroud, Steve Savidan, Jimmy Briand. I rest my case.

3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The silly season has started.....

@MickTheGooner 48m
    Joke of the Day: Sandro being linked with move from Sp*rs to Arsenal!

I would take Paulinho though.

4. aphex

aphex Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes to Paulinho. I mean, he's no Kim Kallstrom, but...

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I rate sandro and lucas at liverpool

Brazilian holders are so this season darling

DutchCane repped this.
  6. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure about Lucas, but Sandro could be a good rotation player to have in midfield, definitely better than Arteta.

7. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I would never suggest he is less talented than most of Francs strikers. Ignoring the fact that Nee, Savidan and Briand have 7 appearances between them. His "back ups" get starts regardless so that should tell you something about his productivity as a striker who leads the line. Also I'd rate Trez(71/34), Saha (20/4) as on his level. Govou played fewer games in an era with Th14 and Trez, and scored 10 in 50 apps, Benzema is at 65 or so, and has at best 19 as the main striker despite playing such powerhouse nations in the expanded qualification process as Georgia, and Belarus.

His productivity is poor for a striker getting those kind of minutes, it isn't a controversial view at Madrid or in France. But like the typical Arsenal fan any name is better than what we have right? Let me put it as clearly as possible. Benzema scored as many goals in the qualifying process as Abou Diaby. This season in 32 games he has 17 Goals, has only scored 20 goals in 2 seasons including his time in France, and has scored 17 or less in 7 of his 9 years as a senior player.

So back off me bro.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Benzema is a striker whose ball control, dribbling and passing are remarkably good, but someone who also has a pretty inconsistent work rate.

He was shite in the first 3-4 months this season, but this calendar year he made an odd change and began to play very good on a consistent basis. Doesn't fail in big games; scored against Atletico (2-2), Barcelona twice (3-4), gave 1x assist against Barcelona in the Copa final (2-1).

I would want him if Wenger can optimize his work rate.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    i never let money cloud my evaluation of a player, Benz is a forward not a striker which gets lost in the money talk. Hes really a support forward for a 2 striker system.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This would actually work for us if we had wingers on either side of him and Ozil behind him. You're basically saying that Benzema is an effective false nine.

daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  11. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was thinking that myself when I heard of this.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benzema comes deep true and might work well with theo an knows ozil, if we bought draxler as well it would be nice

DutchCane repped this.
  13. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Even we switch to a two striker system I don't think spending 30-40 mil on a 27 year old Benz is a good investment. Would need to change a lot of personnel we already have, short of a 3-5-2 that is.

14. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No?

------------ Benzema-----------
    Draxler/Ox--Ozil--Walcott
    --------Ramsey--------------
    -----------------DM----------
    Gibbs---Kol----Mert-Sagna/Aurier
    ---------------Szec---------------

charlie15, total_football and DutchCane repped this.
  15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Benz and Draxler works as lonf as we have people hugging the sideline amd we wouldnt need to do anything radical except stay healthy. Oh wait.....

16. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    how is it puzzling? for a player of his talent, 19 in 65 is appalling.

17. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    was he always the main striker? how did they play? was he bergkamp to a kluivert? i always think of him as a support striker never a real 9

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They don't even need to hug the sidelines. They just need to be able to run in behind. Benzema's big and physical enough that teams can't defend too deep against him, and with Ox and Theo on each wing, teams can't defend to high because either he or Ozil will play him in.

The more I think about this though, the more I think: Giroud can play that role too. He's perfectly capable of playing Theo and Ox in behind as well (and has done so). The bigger goal is to get forwards who actually run in behind, either on the wings or in the channels. None of this Cazorla on the wings nonsense.

charlie15 repped this.
  19. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Took a quick look at Swiss Ramble's twitter and he's got some graphs (dated April 10) involving Premier league finances. https://twitter.com/SwissRamble

A few takeaways:
    1) United have after-tax profit of 150m. Arsenal have 5m (only about 6 teams have any profit at all, though and United dwarfs everyone)
    2) Arsenal have 153m cash in the bank (!) (United have 100, and Chelsea in 3rd with 35m)
    3) Arsenal's total net debt is down to 93m

I'm no accountant, but with the new Puma deal, the television deals, etc. I'm starting to believe 100m to spend this summer really ain't all that crazy.

total_football and DutchCane repped this.
  20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he was their main man. He kept dropping back too deep, and it caused problems.

21. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool fans really deserve a title...especially the ones who burned Suarez shirts last summer.:rolleyes:

The Potter and DutchCane repped this.
  22. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    £100 mill deal are really £200 with wages/fees over the length of a contract which is crazy

23. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    nah girouds too damn slow we need speed in my ideal world giroud would be 3rd behind balo and draxler

24. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    got it he always seemed secondary to me france is a weird team he looked good vs holland but hollands defense was lmaooooo bad

25. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    No to Balotelli. Balotelli is a team cancer everywhere he's gone, and Wenger is particularly bad at handling high-maintenance players: Bendtner, Reyes, Arshavin, etc.

daedalus and Serengeti_Boy repped this.