Let's sign injured players to cover for our injured players - the summer transfer thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by blueguitar322, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously?? RM can come up with 100M to buy 1 player EVERY YEAR??? EASILY???? I'm not buying it.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Selling Benzema will bring easily 40 M. Real can afford dropping an other 40 M on Suarez.

3. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Real Madrid can't spend 100m euros every season, they were also looking to renew their stadium which will cost a lot of money.

They basically spent that amount of money last season to overshadow the fact that they won nothing.

But since they already won the Cup, are only 4 points ahead of the no.1 and in the semi-final, they will end the season with prizes.

Madrid are - unless they sell Ronaldo - not going to buy Suarez.

4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a post!
    Seriously, Arsenal Metro is right....You may be the worst poster on this board. You are coming out with absolute and definitive "statements"that are just laughable. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

daedalus and DeltaSig repped this.
  5. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're the biggest whiner of this board then.

I'm thinking rational, there is nothing wrong with that statement.

Just because you know nothing about R. Madrid doesn't mean others who actually know something about them have no clue what they are talking about.

As I said, they are looking to renew their stadium, which will cost +100m euros, they won and are winning trophies this season, there is no need for someone who will overshadow possible failures.

And on top of that, there are rumors about Benzema getting a contract extension.

6. aphex

aphex Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wait, I thought you were being facetious... surely he would have been a better back-up than Sanogo

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, Thinking and rational are mutually exclusive for you.

8. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't slag me but Bentner is a better backup than Sanogo

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In this case, he might be right to an extent? How will Madrid finance even 50m in outlays without making serious sales? It took some serious rejiggering of their squad last summer to get Bale: they sold a bunch of players to get Bale in. They'd have to sell some of their bigger names in order to get Suarez (think Benzema or Di Maria or both), and that hurts them in terms of depth. More than that though, Suarez is 27 and isn't nearly as marketable. Purseboy and Bale were in their early 20s when the moved, and their reputations weren't nearly as checkered as Suarez's is.

I also question the assumption that Benzema will go for 40m quid. He's good, but he's not a 40m quid player. Shouldn't go for more than 30 (though at that price, we should definitely try to get him).

I don't think it makes sense for Madrid to do a Suarez deal, but that's a judgment for them. From a numbers point of view, I question how they can afford to do a Suarez deal. How many players can they sell?

10. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They sold Ozil (50m) and Higuain (40m) to finance the Bale transfer + lowered their wages.

Money doesn't grow on trees, not even in Madrid.

You're only proving my point though..

DeltaSig repped this.
  11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I never understood why teams like Madrid sign Strikers like Benzema to long contracts, always on the edge of being dropped for being unproductive. Benzema is a meh WC away from being one the of the most underwhelming french national team strikers in almost 25 years. Better than Guivarc'h, but worse then pretty much every other starting striker since.

thebigman repped this.
  12. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/quote]

So they CAN afford to spend a lot of money on players every year by selling those that are deemed a surplus....

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benzema will go for easily around 40 M. Morata for an other 12 to 15 M. Irrelevant of the numbers though, Madrid can buy Suarez if they wish to do so. The have the financial support to go ahead. They have done it in the past and may continue to do so despite the FFP rules (FFP is a joke anyway).
    I would argue that Suarez is a more valuable player than Bale as well and not sure Bale is that more marketable either.

14. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  15. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There were transfer speculation rumors on Benzema for 25 mil; gotta think who can and will spend 40 million for him?
    PSG? Of course they can, but he'll be their 3rd expensive #9.
    Man Citeh: ? they can, but won't because they're pretty set. Unless it's a swap for Aguero, which Madrid have wanted for some time. But Man Citeh don't need to sell Aguero.
    Chelsea: need a #9 badly, but they have other options, and I suspect they think 40 mil is over priced. They've been more "frugal" (I know it's relative) lately with their financial outlays.
    United? Nope. Unless Persie leaves. But they still have that albatross Rooney. And I think they may think it's a bit steep.
    Napoli? Nope. they bought from Madrid last year. Using the money they got from PSG. Can't afford.

I think he comes to Arsenal for 25 mil, if they decide to sell and buy Aguero or Suarez and need funds to help offset those costs.

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benzema is better than giroud but i wouldnt want to spend 40 million on him

17. aphex

aphex Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wondering if Benzema and Giroud's competition in their national team would be a disruptive dynamic in a shared club team... or vice versa

18. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Who's going to spend 40MM GBP on Benzema? I hope not us.

19. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Like seriously, can't you just give it up already?

20. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, this. Wenger has mismanaged things this season in such a weird way that he and Bendtner can't work with Wenger, and I actually think he's right.

We all know about Bendtner's overgenerous compensation, his extracurricular distractions, and his limitations as a footballer. But in spite of all of that, Wenger kept him on the squad as an option against particular contingencies, and those contingencies materialized. Wenger might feel he has other fish to fry relative to babysitting Bendtner, but given who Wenger has made available for us as forwards, I'm not buying that at all.

21. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Given how things are at the moment, I think Raheem Sterling is probably among the half dozen or so least-available-to-us players in the EPL.

22. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bendtner has earned his shunning, he's a massive a-hole who's burned bridges multiple times at multiple places. He had every opportunity to prove he was worthy of a spot at Arsenal, and for a while he looked like he was going to be a star. Then he pissed off Sunderland and Juventus and Birmingham City.

Wenger is to blame for Bendtner being an option when we started the season, but I think his treatment has been more than fair.

CRASH 4 ARSENAL repped this.
  23. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    The key to this summer is to get at least _two_ forwards, one who is a center forward and one who can play as a wing forward, eg Drmic and Mandzukic or Draxler and Morata. Within a fairly wide margin for error, I don't care who they are. Eg, I'd rather have Drmic and Mandzukic than Cavani and nobody, or anybody else and nobody.

Given that, I'm starting to turn around on Podolski given the fact that he's scored 8 League goals for us in very limited oppotunities. I'm thinking I'd rather have him than Giroud, and between the two of them we really should only keep one.

24. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I've wanted to get rid of Bendtner for at least five years. But in Wenger's wisdom he's here. And we need him. Sort it out already.

25. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    LOL I was being extremely facetious imho with a healthy Rambo/Ozil and Berba we are 2nd at worst

aphex repped this.