Let's say big stars wanted to come to MLS.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Bobles, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    So what if some of the bigeest names in soccer decided to come and play in the states.

What I want to know is where would they go and why. It used to be that MLS wanted to appease the ethnic base, but not anymore, so laets say a Beckham or a Ronaldo comes to the league where do they go?

Obvioulsly the league wants to get them on a team that will be seen the most so that they can make the most money, I mean lets be honest, the guys running this show for all their good naturedness, they still want to make money, so does the league let the Metros and the Galaxy have Becks, Ronaldo, et all?

Bobles

2. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Is this another one of those situations where someone is going to have to explain the math to you?

3. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    While we're at it, I understand the Rhein Fire want Michael Vick and several semipro basketball teams in Yugoslavia are interested in Shaq.

:rolleyes:

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    In your little fantasy scenario do Beckham and Ronaldo voluntarily decide to cut their salaries tenfold, or does MLS suddenly secure a major network TV contract? Because that's the only way this will ever be an issue.

5. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    Man ask a simple question......

Obviously this is fantasy, hell I have nothing else to do at the moment and witha all the talk being about Real possible coming here I was just wondering and thought I would ask the question.

So the particulars, and once again this is fantasy,

The league is solvent, it has loads of money and a great fanbase, starts from all over the world flock to see the games,

So this also begs the question, would the league still want these guys if this was the case? But I am getting ahead of myself.

For starters lets just say the league can afford a dozen or so star players, lets say some lady dies and instead of giving all her money to cancer reseaerch she wills a billion dollars to the league.

Who do we get, where do they go and why?
    Bobles

6. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Where do they go and why?

One of two choices:

LA - Great weather. Great Stadium. Close to Hollywood so players can work on thier music videos, movies and commericals during thier off time.

DC - MLS obviously favors DC United and will fix all drafts so that the best players play at DC, thus rebuilding the DC United Dynasty.

;)

7. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    Do I detect a note of bitterness?

Bobles

8. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If you read it and saw who he supports you obviously wouldn't have.

9. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they were willing to accept a huge paycut and play against a much lower level of competition, then Becks would probably go to LA so Posh could shop in Beverly Hills. Most of the rest would go to cities based on their ethnicities, with Latino players likely going to Chicago/NY/LA and any Eastern European stars, such as Shevchenko or Nedved likely going to NY or Chicago. English or Irish stars would probably work best with the Revs.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As in "wanted to come to MLS", do you mean "willing to play for $300k/season plus housing and a car?"

If not, then this conversation is over.

If yes, then MLS will have a supplemental draft where the MetroStars will select them. :D

I hear Gazza is still interested in playing for Miami.

11. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    No, I'm an DCU fan. Just joking.

I have a feeling that big time players would land basically where ever they wanted and most likely in the bigger Cities (LA, NY). I'm thinking most likely LA for the reasons I stated above.

I think DC along with Chicago and maybe NE might be in the mix or maybe San Jose becasue of the great weather out there.

Not too sure about Dallas, Columbus or KC.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    they better come quick then...there are about 27 or so games left in that franchise...

13. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    That's too bad. The weather is sweet out there.

14. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Becks made it clear that when he comes to MLS, he'll play in NY.
    Along with English and/or Irish stars ending up in NE, you can add Portuguese players to the list.

15. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    Well I happen to think that ehtincities would have little to do with where they went.

I think it has been stated on these boards several times and by writers like Wynalda and Bradley. People will come to see good soccer no matter who is playing.

I however happen to think that the Metros would have first choice on a lot of players, I don't know but it seems that they always seem to get more than their alloted share of foriegn impirts whether or not they turn out to be good. I think someone should link to or creat a list of all the current and former foriegn players to play for them and you will see my point.

As far as the money issue, since this is complete fantasy then money doesn't paly a part into it so lets just leave that out.

Lets say Henry or Zidane comes to play here, OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEART, where does a french player go, besides Colorodo that is?

Bobles

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ronaldo ever came to play in MLS, it would be NY.

Beckham I would guess would join LA or NY.

And I do think there is a very good chance in the future that Beckham would come to play in MLS. Hopefully when he is 30-33 rather than 36-39 yrs old. I think he is the only world-class star player out there right now that MLS might have a chance at getting because he seems so interested in American life.

I think the intruige of living in America (for whatever reason, interest, anonymity, living NY or LA) will always be a wildcard in attracting a world-class player here and there to the league, Matthaus though he was old, was pretty prominent at the time he came (Germany EC 2000 team, coming from Bayern Munich)--though he was rapidly declining, and of course wasn't intersted in playing.

17. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    could you imagine the outcry from the rest of the teams in the league if Ronaldo came to play and NY got him.

It goes against the whole Parity concept not to mention, that their are many teams that are still owed allocations by the league.

SJ comes to mind, yeah we have won two champonships in the last few years but unlike every other team in the world, MLS champons seldom get to retool and go on spending sprees, which will aslo reamin the sole reaosn why our last years champs will never win the Concacaf champions league.

Bobles

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    After nine years, the term "resigned" comes to mind. I would imagine more "shock" if he didn't.

19. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham would join Seattle Sounders in the A-league. Because of the British ex-pats here.

His traveling circus will make the current Freddy-Adu circus look like child-play.

And of course the owner of the Seattle Sounders is the richest man on the planet. Though he shut the 'gate' on MLS expansion saying 'A'-league soccer is better than 'M' league soccer. With Beckham on their side, the Sounders breeze through the US open Cup and beat the crap out of teams like SJ aand proclaim the title "World Champion of the USA" in soccer.

Oh, the Seattle Sounders owner bought this stadium

[​IMG]

soccer became the main tenant and turf switched to grass. Yay.

20. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I wouldnt be suprised to see Ronaldo, or any Brazilian for that matter, to go to NE. Massachusetts has a large Portuguese and Brazilian population. I remember when Cate played for the Revs there was a group of Brazilians who played music inside of the stadium. Some say they were paid by the Revs to do that, and I wouldn't doubt it. But Cate remains the only Brazilian player to play in the league.

21. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rodrigo Faria is Brazilian. He was with the Earthquakes for the second half of last year, but failed to come to training this spring and was waived.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Faria may be Brazilian, but he was born in New York. He wasn't born in Brazil.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Bobles

Bobles New Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Visalia
    So am I hearing that a lot of you wouldn't mind the whole "sign a guy to please the ethnic market"?

Bobles