Let's make it 14 wins in a row in honor of Cruyff, AFC Ajax [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by he so scrumptiouz, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    all they have to do is compare the performance of the England NT vs the Dutch NT in international competitions.

2. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The lack of TV doesn't help, nor did the run of strikers doing very little in the PL. Remember Alfonso Alves? hehehehehehe. Kuijt found his place, but only after a change in position, and the most I'll ever remember Kezman for is for being the first player I ever saw roll his socks up past his knees.

I think more people are inclined to notice the Eredivisie when Ajax are doing well, and Suarez proved you could make the leap up from Holland. And I'm sure the national team helps.

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vertonghen is ten times better than Vermaelen.

4. Bemma

Bemma Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    JC-14 repped this.
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And we certainly should expect a higher transfer fee for him!

6. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    JC14 - thanks for this link it was quite informative but not all that surprising. The club has some obvious steps that they can take to reduce overhead but the fundamental problems still remain, mainly the lack of television revenues compared to other leagues and the fact that the club does not own the Arena. The second is damaging as they are forced to pay rent and cannot use the facility for other events that can generate revenue. Compare this to my hometown basketball and ice hockey teams in Washington DC. They own their arena and it is used for the circus, car shows, rock concerts, etc. in addition to sporting events. This generates huge revenues for the corporation that owns the sporting teams.

I do think Ajax are better positioned in that they are getting a handle on the cash flow problem but it is still critical that they do not go out for expensive transfers; the days of paying €16M for a player such as Sulejmani who was worth only €6M at the time are over. There is still a positive balance sheet and they don't have to go asking the Amsterdam council for money like PSV did. We'll see what the club does this off season and they really should hold out for top dollar transfer fees for Vertonghen and Van der Wiel!

8. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just install Google Translate; it does an acceptable job. The story is not much different from what The Swiss Ramble wrote a year and a half ago.

10. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  11. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't believe a word of it.

12. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Is he in contract negotiations or something? An agent wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't making up bullshit rumors in order to get his client more money.

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sorry it's too long and I don't have enough time to translate it for you. It basically rips a new one in Vd Aat, Vd Boog and Coronel. Only Oldenhof (now bestuurraad Ajax) and Fontein have known any sort of commercial success for Ajax since we went to the exchange.

BTW, the article is from Pieter Zwart. The best informed and most capable sports journalist in the Netherlands. And the kid's just 18 years old.

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Will be happening soon indeed. Very unlikely proposition from his agent though. I can't imagine any top English club wanting to sign a 1.67m tall player unless his name is Messi.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He's got a bright future if he keeps up this work!

16. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Fortunate for us.

17. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  18. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  19. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Rumours about AS Roma (earlier) and now Real Madrid looking to acquire Gregory van der Wiel.. Real Madrid would be awesome for him, plus I reckon the transfer fee would be EUR 10+ Mio.

Btw, somehow I hope that Eriksen leaves on a big transfer, and that Ajax then buys Maher as his replacement... We need to get him asap.

20. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would prefer it if we just kept Eriksen instead of overpaying for Maher.

21. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As much as I don't like Madrid, I'd be very happy if they bought him. For one, they'd pay us a LOT more money for him than Valencia would, and he'd get a lot more exposure there. Even if he's forced to leave in a year or two like every other Dutch player, he'd probably have a lot more top clubs interested than if he was at Valencia.
    Down side is that a Real Madrid move limits the chance of him playing at Barcelona to near zero, whereas at Valencia those chances are higher than if he was playing for Ajax

22. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Congrats Ajax A1/U19! Back to back champions just like the 1st team.

[​IMG]

23. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who is he going to beat out in the Madrid midfield? Eriksen has repeatedly said that he thinks the best thing for his development is to stay at Ajax for now. Sending him to Madrid would be the worst possible thing for him at this point in time and both him and the club know it. Plus, I don't think that he's reached his peak in terms of transfer fee yet.

24. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Sorry, I was responding to the post about van der Wiel being wanted by real Madrid. Probably should've quoted it