Let's make it 14 wins in a row in honor of Cruyff, AFC Ajax [R]

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by he so scrumptiouz, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    very nice way to end the season:thumbsup:

2. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    WE DID IT!

So glad I didn't jinxed our winning streak. :laugh::p

Dutch Treat repped this.
  3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyone know the all time Euro record for consecutive wins? This will give the team something to work for next season!!!

4. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    28 games 2007 - 2008 Dinamo Zagreb.

Our 1st mission is beating the 22 games record set by PSV between 1987 - 1988.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We might get the Dutch record if things break our way but 28 would probably include CL football. After this season anything is possible and wouldn't it be cool if we beat Real Madrid for the 29th victory?

6. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    No those records are only including league games.

The away kit has grown on me. Might even buy the shorts for on the beach. :)

[​IMG]

7. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    This one has Lukoki acting a fool at the end. :p

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Congrats fellow ajacieden.

9. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    English media have been suggesting that Arsenal could get Vertonghen for as little as 6m€ which is just rediculous. I'd rather lose him on a Bosman at the end of next year than let him go for such a measly amount this year

10. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    English tabloids reporting a bidding war with Man U and Arsenal getting in the mix *thumbs up*

11. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Champions..
    For the first time in years we were a class above the rest of the teams (in the last part of the season).
    With upcoming youth players maybe even strengthening our team (vRhijn vs vdWiel), Ajax is flourishing!

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm not sure about Arsenal right now. They already are bringing in Podolski and there is a note that they are going to pay really big money for a young French midfielder from Rennes (€18M) so this doesn't leave a lot of money for other players given Arsenal's history of low ball bids.

13. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    The German boy Metzelder has proven to be a bad buy..but this are just rumours.
    English teams will not spend crazy amounts anymore for (not top) foreigners, unless their name is ManCity or LFC. High transfer fee's are kept within Britain (Carroll). For us it would be nice if Vertonghen would be sold to Tottenham, who are rich too, and then in a few years being sold to an AAA team (lead-up compensation).

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are thinking of Mertesacker and not Metzelder. Metzelder was at Madrid for a couple of years and is back in Germany. Mertesacker was doing OK until he suffered a knee injury. If he comes back to full speed, there is no need for Vertonghen here. Spurs don't have all that much money to spend and are having trouble just keeping their current players. Modric and Essou-Khatto are likely departures despite still have contracts to run.

15. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

DRB300 repped this.
  16. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Arsenal would love Vertonghen. Many of their fans have been drooling over him for months.

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unfortunately Arsenal only signs crappy players nowadays

18. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    WTF is this rumor about Newcastle wanting Boileson? That came out of nowhere.

19. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Time to make a change then and sign a really good centreback. In my other life I have an Arsenal membership and I can say unequivocally if Vertonghen chooses Tottenham over Arsenal the supporters would be unhappy. Even casual Arsenal fans know him as a player who would fit in well with the club.

20. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Their fans have been drooling over him for years, and now they have a feeling of entitlement towards him because they think they discovered him. It's one of the reasons I don't like arsenal/arsenal fans.

21. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I also get a feeling that Arsenal fans are resistant to the possibility that he's better than what they've got and therefore are susceptible to the idea they don't need him and he'd just be better off going to Tottenham.

22. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Arsenal fans hardly have a feeling of entitlement towards him, they just would rather not lose him to ********ing Tottenham. Inter, Barca, Man U, I could deal with that...but Tottenham?

What the hell are you talking about? Most Arsenal fans would be delighted if he signed for them. Who are these Arsenal fans who think he's not better than what they have now? Maybe some one-eyed Yanks, but real Arsenal fans are under no illusions.

As for him being better off at Tottenham, I am not so sure, and I am not so sure even if you remove my obvious bias. They have an even more tenuous grasp on their best player than we do. I feel fairly confident that if we got our business done early (i.e. Podolski, M'Vila, my man Jan), van Persie would stay. Even if Tottenham signed some guys and got fourth place - I hope to Christ they don't get third, for obvious reasons - I am not sure Modric would stay anyway. Opinions are like you know what and everybody has one, but Tottenham are certainly not a better bet than Arsenal to play CL football in years to come.

23. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    A lot of Arsenal fans I chat with here on BigSoccer get the impression that Vertonghen would a bench player for them therefore he'd be better off at Tottenham where he has a better chance of starting. I've been telling them for a while now that he's going to be better than Vermaelen.

I'm also a bit soft for Arsenal. One of my best friends in college is a huge Gunner fan so I've always found myself rooting for them and would love Jan to end up there.

24. SmokingdePijp

SmokingdePijp Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I don't think these people share the opinion of your average London Gooner. Your average London Arsenal fan and overseas Arsenal fans, like many other clubs, think a little differently. I know lots of overseas fans who think Wenger should be sacked, for example, while the Londoners wouldn't dream of it. Not that they've had blind faith, just they know how much of the club's foundation is him...

That's doubly meaningful when you consider the TV situation and proximity to Holland. The Eredivisie doesn't get on TV at all in the States, am I right? It's only on ESPN3. It's not greatly covered here, but Ajax usually get on TV 4 weeks out of 6, so your average London Gooner with ESPN has seen Vertonghen play while your average US Gooner has probably never seen him play except maybe in one or two Euro games. Plus the fact he's the Eredivisie's top player has filtered through over here. Even if people don't know him well, they know him. I question whether your average US EPL fan knows anything about him. The Tuesday Club podcast with Alan Davies and Ian Stone is a good podcast to get a feel on what the average London Gooner thinks and while they aren't terribly knowledgeable about him they've talked positively about him a couple times as a player they'd like to see at Arsenal.

That's not disparaging - I'm a Yank myself and I think I am probably like your regular US EPL fan in terms of the Eredivisie, especially because I only really came back to Ajax in the last 18 months or so. I don't have that encyclopedic knowledge of Ajax, and there's the language barrier, and I don't know many (any) Ajax fans personally.

25. BTV802

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Speaking in generalities...I find that a lot of EPL fans see the Eredivisie as a HUGE step down competitively, often to the point that they are just being snobby about it. It's hard for a lot of them to wrap their head around the idea that there are top class players playing in the Netherlands who could step into a top team in England. It's happening more and more often recently so the tide of opinion is definitely turning.