Alert: "Let's Do This" - the Robin van Persie thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Charleysurf, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  2. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A striking crew of RvP, Rooney, Welbeck, Cheech is very, very solid.

LA. MAN UNITED and johno repped this.
  3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this will really help in keeping Rooney and Nani fresh this season. We have seen them tire down the stretch after having to play too many hard minutes early and midway through the season.

RVP and Kagawa can really help in that regard.

doubletrouble repped this.
  4. tim10

tim10 Member

May 23, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think City showed us last season that if you can throw enough quality attacking weapons on the pitch at the same time, then you will win most games.
    I have thought we needed more attacking threats, since the Ronaldo-Tevez-Rooney days, we began to be easier to shut down, if we can find away to get Rooney, RVP, Nani and Kagawa on the pitch at the same time, there is little chance of being able to shackle all those players.
    This also really helps with rotation, we won't have to play Rooney into the ground.

5. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...-pigs-the-ott-r.1825581/page-29#post-24479931

sdotsom and Invincible repped this.
  6. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Bastard. :D

I still don't necessarily want him but he will add something to the team for sure.

7. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For the record, none of us want Piers Morgan. Stupid idiot. Maybe we can transfer his ass to Man United, too.

LA. MAN UNITED and johno repped this.
  8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No thank you very much. I think Citeh can afford his wages though. Pair him up with Balotelli.

9. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    I would have preferred a midfielder, but I guess Rooney can play in the midfield again.

10. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    Don't know why everyone hates Piers, yeah he's a monumental douche, but he's an entertaining monumental douche. Totally frank and speaks his mind whether you like it or not, something that has to be admired. Almost Simon Cowellesque in that regard, and like Simon, I guess he's a polarizing character. It's either you adore the bastard or want to ****ing shot him.

His passion for Arsenal makes me even pity him more. Can't hate the poor fella, he's been through enough since 05.

11. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't want him here, but he'll be good. Hope Welbeck and Cheech still get enough minutes.

Where does Rooney go - LW?

And get Berbs a ********in team already.

12. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    It seems no one wants a 6 foot tall, strong, technical maestro of a striker. [​IMG]

13. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long was this a possibility? Was I that far out of the loop?

I asked my buddy if we needed a striker, and he said "Nope, but we're Man U. We do what we want."

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In the long run, I think RvP's impact on their development will be small. For starters, he's not going be here "that" long. Between him and Rooney, we're guaranteed a stretch of games without both of them being available.

The two most significant benefits to this move for the development of our younger attackers is the reduced pressure to deliver goals and the lack of attention on them on the pitch and off the pitch as a result.

Let us not forget that for someone like Welbeck, goals have been an issue but what impresses us most is his all around game. If he can play 10 games where he needs to do well, but goals are not necessarily the prime objective for him, I think he'll be better of than having to play 15 games where he's got to be the number 2 option.

As for Cheech, he'll have to raise his game another level when it comes to interacting with top tier attackers or he'll be left out. Sink or swim. There's a reason a lot of us didn't want to see him play big minutes in big matches last year.

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I really think Cheech just had a shit preseason that set him off bad. Sure, his game was also caught out to an extent, but I was hoping this nice long preseason was going to help. Lord knows we kept saying "this is the year" for ********ing Anderson at least 5 times, Cheech at least deserves one.

But I understand your point - Cheech needs to show his mettle. However, his chances of playing his way into form seem to be a lot less now - he'll just have to automatically be on or he's ********ed.

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I mean sink or swim wrt playing time this season in meaningful matches.

I do think that of all the strikers on our books, when we are going hunting for goals late in matches, he provides the most direct form of attack. He'll be useful in that way simply because of his movement, hunger and the space he'll open up for others.

But as far as being a starter in difficult matches, that is done unless he improves. Which I think is fair. But I think with 2 marquee goal scorers and 2 marquee creative talents on the pitch at most times (Rooney + Van Persie & Nani + Swag/Valencia) we should be putting teams to bed earlier which would allow more sub minutes (in theory) and more first leg leads than we've seen in the recent past, allowing for better rotation and more opportunities in favorable conditions for our budding attackers.

17. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Perhaps this will see the return of the stepping on the throats we saw at times between 06-09.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That is what I'm hoping for.

If we see Kagawa in an advanced role and Cleverley on the pitch, I suspect there wont be much resting on our laurels. Those two are beyond attacking, they are malicious. You can almost sense Cleverley's impatience with taking the required touches in our third and the middle third of the pitch... he wants the ball down the other end.

Diable Rouge, Amdrag and Invincible repped this.
  19. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've thought about it for a bit, and I think this is a positive and clever move by Fergie.

RVP is surplus to requirements, but that is good given his injury history. You wouldnt really want to buy him if you had to depend on him making 40 starts. He will score goals, and allow rotation and competition amongst our strikers. Particularly when Rooney has to play in CM again.

From a value POV, in this market, 15M plus addons for goals and appearances is a good price. Worst case scenario is that he does get injured again, but the addons are less. Its a clever gamble, and a decent price. Fergie loves it.

I think that Fergie is definitely putting a marker down to win the league, as he said during the tour. Gone is the talk of wanting to focus on Europe and we should have won more CLs I think. I think Fergie wants to steady the ship and see off the noisy neighbours in the league. With RVP and Kawaga, our goal threat is increased significantly, and our various attacking options should allow us to win the majority of our games in the league.

Its frustrating as shit that other, more pressing deficits have not been addressed, as we will suffer again in Europe, and probably in big games. Hopefully CM does not result in us tanking in the league, but hopefully not. If we are tactically realistic in big games, then we have a good chance at winning the league.

If we finish the season with the league and being wiped out in Europe I will be very happy.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Damn it I have to cheer for this bastard now. He is one of my most hated players after Robben and Petit.

Where will Berba go?

21. DoctorDirector

Sep 3, 2011
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I hope Cheech stays at ManU and does what he does best, whether as starter or off the bench, with Rooney, RVP, Berba and others in the mix or not. Great club to play for, great management, competitive place but he's been getting playing time and goals amongst the best. I consider that much better than being a lock as regular starter at some middling team.

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Chicha is still an integral part of the team if you ask me. He has a knack for scoring goals, and for me is the poacher for Manchester United. If anyone is meant to leave, its Berba.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  24. tim10

tim10 Member

May 23, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    #9 would indicate Berbatov's departure is imminent.
    Just for my knowledge, can we actually re-assign a number like that. It would be rough on Berba though. #13 is currently assigned to Lindegard.

#2, #20 (Fabio), #28 and #29 currently available out of all the numbers < 30.
    Probably some shifting around of squad numbers.

25. DoctorDirector

Sep 3, 2011
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I hope you're right, I still want to see him have a new season more like his first than like his second.