Alert: "Let's Do This" - the Robin van Persie thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Charleysurf, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    I will take RvP and Nani over Tevez on that note.

johno and JamesA repped this.
  2. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    In related awesome news - Piers Cnut Morgan is having a whiney bitch breakdown on twitter.

3. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who are the S-Class talents?

4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We desperately need cover at LB still, but other than that I am happy where we are going into the season. I would have loved a CM, but I've given up hope on that signing long ago. I think with this signing, the fear factor we have been missing is effectively restored. We have so much depth in the front four now that their is no excuse for us not to attack every game. For fcks sake, we have the top two goalscorers in the league from last year and IMO the two best winger in the league (Nani and Valencia). Also with RVP we have a decent free-kick taker from the left side (sorry Giggsy). Bonus.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is 90% of the reason I wanted us to sign RVP. Piers has assaulted (unprovoked) Nasri and Ashley Cole on twitter in the past hour. Meanwhile, Rio is poking at him every 15 minutes. Fantastic meltdown.

6. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    Forget everything else, let's go guns blazing kamikaze style

--------------------------RVP
    -----Rooney------------Kagawa---------------Nani
    -------------------Clevs----------Carick
    Giggs---------------------------------------------Valencia
    ------------------Rio--------------Evans
    -------------------------De Gea

[​IMG]

jeff070 and Malcolm91 repped this.
  7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To me, the S-Class talents are the real individual match winners, who are proven in terms of delivery at the very top levels of the game. The real World Class talents who are generally agreed upon, in most quarters, to be in the top 4 or 5 in their position around the world.

I know some in here disagree on Wayne being an S-Class, but for me, in does sit in realm in spite of everything. As does RvP.

8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nani is more clearly amongst the top 5 in his position than Rooney.

Just saying, James ;)

SyedZada and JC7rox repped this.
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Barring Giggs, we will see that at least 4 or 5 times this season I expect. It's actually not that reckless of a formation in some games.

10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Put Vidic in and our 1st choice fullbacks and we might see that formation quite a few times the next season.

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, but it's the baseline consistency he still lacks for me. I still think one can be a top 5 player in your position and not be World Class (due to that baseline). But I will admit, that baseline thing is a subjective observation.

But he's as close as it gets I think. In any case, nothing but a positive thing.

12. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would have both S though, there are hardly comparable better players in Europe.

13. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    I agree, Rooney is most definitely in the S-Class category but I don't think it's the kind of 'S' that James is referring to.

14. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While I disagree that Rooney is S-Class, I do feel he is a strong A-Class.

This signing gives us a lot of flexibility, and in my opinion, it looks like we could handle a long stretch without Rooney and not lose anything in terms of performance level. From what I have seen, if they can translate their talents and potentials, RvP up top with Kagawa in the hole is not even close to a drop in quality and could be argued for the opposite. We'll see how this goes.

15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is the shit S class ?

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A lot of how good this is will come down to rotation, fitness and of course, formation. If we find a way to get Rooney, RvP, Nani and Kagawa on the pitch at the same time. If we can do that consistently, we'll destroy worlds.

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    take out DDG and put in Jones

now that i think about it we have too many GKs in the squad. sell DDR an Lindgaard and see if we can get at least one more winger and another striker.

llcc repped this.
  18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    imo welbeck is a world class talent in the making, i don't understand why u would pay for this judas when u have more pressing needs, i won't wish the cock luck but i don't understand why ferguson pressed this before the logical positions like a cm (is fletcher ever coming back?) and left back?!

19. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do think this will hold back Welbeck's development. Obviously club comes first, so if RVP links up masterfully with other players then I can't knock it.....but I really think there is a lot of potential in Welbeck if he gets to play consistently and improve on some of his weaker points.

llcc repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    imo welbeck can become one of the top strikers in the world, he has massive potential.....he needs games, he has something about him i rate really highly. when rvp breaks his ankle again he should get gametime anyway lol

21. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamigawa??

johno repped this.
  22. TheRedDevil

TheRedDevil Member

May 16, 2012
    Liverpool's Perch
    Dunno if this has been posted yet, but i hope it's bullshit:

Premier League ‏@EPLStuff

French journalist Mick Martin-Haim reports that Man Utd's Javier Hernandez has asked to be transfer listed and Arsenal could make an offer.

Hmm, excellent talent, but the kid's best position is in the hole and not at CM. This could turn into another Kagawa positional dilemma. He's pretty lightweight for that role, that said... he's very young so maybe he can learn and adjust to it. If United went for him, they can easily get him since Malaga is currently in financial shambles and selling their stars left right and center.

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    RVP and Welbeck together would be interesting.

24. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only reason I think there may be some truth to this, is because I think Chich wanted to play for his country at the Olympics (then had to watch them win), but was told he needed the rest for the new season. Now we've just gone and brought an elite level striker, and he was already behind Rooney and Welbeck. Personally, that would annoy me as well. He's a nice kid...but I think this may have been a bit of a kick in the teeth for him, and he's reacted. Maybe.

25. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC