Let's all laugh at Kansas

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by ratdog, Apr 9, 2013.

1. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another week, another batshit insane piece of legislation here in Kansasland. State Senator Mary Pilcher-Cook (of Shawnee, my childhood home and where my parents still live) has proposed a bill that will pretty much destroy sex ed, art, and literature in Kansas schools. Found two articles giving two different perspectives on the bill.

http://cjonline.com/news/state/2014-02-18/senate-bill-targets-k-12-sex-education-materials

http://www.hutchnews.com/opinion/editorials/article_163f7519-eff3-5fd4-a92e-ef6c12958179.html

Essentially, if a teacher exposes students to "harmful" or "obscene" material, s/he can no longer use educational value as an excuse. Parents can sue over Huck Finn or an image of Michelangelo's David or a picture of genitalia in a sex ed class, and schools/teachers can't do anything about it.

A lot of this is stemming from an incident a couple of months ago at my old middle school, Hocker Grove (7th and 8th grade, so 12-14-year-old kids). As part of the pre-packaged sex ed materials the school uses, there was a poster listing various ways people show affection for one another. Google "Hocker Grove poster" and have a few yucks.

Another factor in the "outrage" comes from a controversial statue in the Overland Park Arboretum. This statue, by Chinese artist Yu Chang and titled "Accept or Reject," depicts a headless, disjointed woman, breasts hanging out of her shirt, taking a selfie. A group supporting Pilcher-Cook's bill are also lobbying to have this statue removed because it's "obscene" and apparently supports sexting. I'll admit that I was uncomfortable when I first saw the statue, but it's sort of the whole point, showing the disconnect and identity issues that come with today's "selfie" culture. If parents knew anything about how art worked, they could explain this to their children, but Kansas would rather strip art from the curriculum and just complain about boobies corrupting the poor children. Less thinking involved that way.

As an addendum, to further highlight Pilcher-Cook's awfulness, she also proposed a bill to criminalize surrogate parenting.

2. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #177 KCFutbol, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    She is one of the rightest and nuttiest of all of the right-wing nut jobs in the Kansas Senate. I used to play in a band with her husband so I'm acquainted with MP-C. Truly an terrible person.

dapip and phedre44 repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    #178 JohnR, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    Editing my original comment - oral and anal sex mentioned as options for kids practicing abstinence. I can see how parents might object. Junior high school too. I mean I don't care but in this case I get it.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've known plenty of cons with wives who seemed to have a clue, but not the other way around. What kind of band was it, and how were you able to stand it? Skinhead? Country? Metal? Parrothead kinda stuff?

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What's funny (or not) is that one of those isn't any better at preventing the spread of disease than normal sex. Of course, both alt options are pregnancy-free, but IMO STDs aren't the biggest concern- teen pregnancy is. And for that to slow, a lot of students have to be convinced (and able) to walk a thin line between not letting it happen to them and shaming their parent(s), because "it" is very likely the way they themsevles came to be.

6. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    60's and 70's covers. The music we grew up with. Bunch of geezers we are. Wifey wasn't in the band, thank god. She was too busy "governing".

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you covered Styx, I like her even less.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that god she didn't get a glim of the 3rd grade curriculum!
    [​IMG]

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My high school sex-ed teacher told us masturbation was fun. But that was high school, and it was California. Plus he was gay.

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with Styx???

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Shudder.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #187 Smurfquake, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    You know, sometimes people accuse you of being a pointy headed ivory tower academic who's out of touch with the real world. Posts like this make me think that maybe they've got a point.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just never met someone who's had an opinion on Styx. Good, bad, otherwise...they're just a band out there.

14. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, Beatles, lots of Neil Young, that type of stuff.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    OK. She's not so bad after all, and you might actually be good.

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Nickleback is the Styx of today?

diablodelsol repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To be fair to Brummie, or to pile on, depending on your POV... I knew a guy, a professor of philosophy, Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, who claimed to have never heard a song by The Eagles.

18. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MP-C had nothing to do with the band. And she is so bad. Real bad. Unless you're a RWNJ.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well there ya go.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fixed your quote...

21. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Lucky, lucky bastard.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ha yes. As you might know, the kid is a UChicago double major, in Psych and Philosophy. He says the former look and act like normal kids. The latter, well even at Chicago you can pick them out. Odd birds those.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Lying Eyes
    Take It Easy
    One Of These Nights

Good stuff. As big '70s pop bands go, though, give me Fleetwood Mac. Great stuff that.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Meh. That horrific acoustic version of Hotel California has the creakiest, most arthritic Spanish guitar solo its ever been my misfortune to see frat boys cry over. Ive seen better fingers on 16" softball first basemen.

Try Little Feat.

crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might have to be from Chicago to get that reference. :)