Lester Dewee: At Ängelholm

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Werdman89, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Lester Dewee to Olympique de Marseille

But doesn't "Pressure makes us" mean anything?! :D

2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

I wonder if DC United offered Lester a HG contract or if he was just set in trying Europe first?

Hopefully Angelholm gain promotion to the Allsvenskan, top 2 teams are guaranteed and 3rd place enters a playoff against the 14th place Allsvenskan team.

3. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

There's a short interview in the local paper today with Dewee. The article claim that he will shoot Ängelholm all the way to Allsvenskan promotion with his heavy left foot shot.

"I don't use my ankle when I shoot, I use the inside part of the foot. Kind of like what Christiano Ronaldo does in Real Madrid. At home I used to stand alone outside for hours just shooting. My left foot is very good. I played for six months in the US, then I came here for a trial. Fortunaly Ängelholm thought that I was good enough and signed me. I have the same agent as Matt Pyzdrowski (Ängelholms american goalkeeper) and he set it up so that I could come here. It's a very good club and everyone has been nice to me. My goal is to make the Olympic squad in London. In the future I'd like to play in Spain or England, but this is the perfect place for me to seriously start my career. I hope to be able to score alot of goals and help the team get promoted to Allsvenskan."

4. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york

No they did not and they should have. He is better than most of the players DC has right now.

5. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay

Perhaps time for a change in thread's title?

6. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why wouldnt DCU have signed him to a HG contract? as I understand theres little to no downside for those contracts from a clubs perspective.

7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Done. The team/city name has a lot of potential, so if somebody wants to offer an alternative to "At Ängelholm" I'm willing to consider it.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Lester Dewee got his wings - now at Angelholm.

10. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    Scored in the 94th min to save a point for Ängelholm in his debut today!

11. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I just read that apparantly the Assyriska fans started a semi-riot in the stands after the goal since there were only supposed to be three minutes added on. Assyriska had the 2-0 lead until the 84th minute and they are a team who are also chasing a promotion spot so I can imagine that feelings got a bit heated. Of note is also that Ängelholms american goalkeeper Pyzdrowski was given the assist to Dewees goal in the official statistics. So I guess either a long ball for a quick counterattack or the goalkeeper coming up for a corner in the dying seconds of the game? Either way it sounds like a very dramatic debut and first goal for Dewee that he will probably not forget easily.

Code:
    [B]Ängelholms FF      23    13     7     3    40-27    46[/B]
    Åtvidaberg         23    14     3     6    50-26    45
    -------------------------------------------------------
    GIF Sundsvall      22    11     6     5    37-20    39
    Degerfors IF       23    11     3     9    32-30    36
    Assyriska          23    10     4     9    30-31    34
    Ljungskile SK      23     9     6     8    33-28    33
    Falkenberg         22    10     2    10    34-33    32
    Öster              22     8     7     7    30-21    31
    IFK Värnamo        22     8     7     7    35-38    31
    Jönköpings Södra   22     9     3    10    35-36    30
    Hammarby           23     8     6     9    27-31    30
    Brommapojkarna     22     8     4    10    31-29    28
    Landskrona BoIS    22     7     6     9    25-31    27
    IK Brage           22     6     7     9    24-35    25
    Västerås SK        22     4     6    12    24-44    18
    Qviding            22     1     7    14    13-40    10

12. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

Dewee commented after the game:
    "Scoring in my debut is a dream come true. There was almost no time left in the game so Matt (Pyzdrowski, goalkeeper) just put a long ball into the box. It came to me and I was standing with my back against the goal so I just tried to keep their defender away. Fortunaly I managed to head the ball into the goal. I like the way we are playing - technical and good, quick passing. That's where our success come from. I've been carrying an injury in the back of my thigh, but the coaches have given me the time to recover and haven't stressed me. I'm fit for fight now though, I can play from the start if the coaches want me to."

13. Jedda

Jedda Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Boden, Sweden
    Assyriskas fans can start a riot for less than that, so nothing new really :D

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GIF Sundsvall drew at home to IFK Värnamo today. Sundsvall is the third place team, but after dropping two points here, are six points back of Ängelholm with seven games to play.

15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dewee tweeted that his hamstring is bothering him. He may not play this weekend

16. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3aiq980nwQ"]Ängelholm - Landskrona BOIS 2011 Goals - YouTube[/ame]

I finally got to watch Ängelholm play earlier tonight at home against Landskrona BOIS. It was a very entertaining affair which unfortunaly ended in Ängelholms fourth loss of the season even though they individually looked like the higher quality team throughout. The biggest reason for the loss was some bad defending in the first half, especially the way everyone stopped playing on the first goal because they thought the ball was out of play. The manager sourly described that sequence as "amateur football" in the post game interview. After Ängelholm went down 0-2 they started totally dominating the game but could only manage to score one goal through a nice volley shot. Landskrona did also have some dangerous counterattacks to be fair.

Dewee came on with 15 minutes to go, funnily enough the commentator already dubbed him the Ängelholm supersub and OG Solskjaer comparisons were made. He didn't really have much time to stand out, mostly took part in various aerial duels. He did get the last chance of the game when he headed outside from a decent position.

With only six games left to play my overall impression is that we will be seeing two new yanks in Allsvenskan next season since I thought Ängelholm had that look about them of being a slightly higher quality that most teams promoted from Superettan have. Even with this loss the situation in the table still looks promising and the team really has to go into a total meltdown to miss out on getting at least a promotion playoff spot (third place).

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see it's not just Americans making immediate and hyperbolic comparisons. :)

18. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [​IMG]

Unfortunaly there was an article yesterday saying that Dewee will be away for quite some time because of his hamstring injury.

One of the coaches commented:
    "Lester has extremely interesting qualities but unfortunaly he isn't properly trained. We will see what happens but most likely he will miss the rest of the season."

19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dewee was able to return from his injury today and was subbed in during the 67th minute as Ängelholm dropped their final game of the season at home to relegation battlers Hammarby 1-0. Ängelholm would have been able to move up to second and into the automatic promotion places with a win. Instead as the third place finishers they'll face the 14th place team in the Allsvenskan in a two legged promotion playoff. That team will likely be Syrianska FC unless Trelleborg FF make up 3 points and 7 goals tomorrow.

Dewee picked up 1 goal in 3 substitute appearances during the Superettan season.

20. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's a rumor that Alex Molano is headed to Angelholms on trial or something

21. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1erc_Eia0mI"]Ängelholm - Hammarby 2011 Goal - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, it was a very dramatic end to the Superettan season. Because of the other results both Ängelholm and Hammarby needed to win to gain promotion/avoid relegation playoff. So the game really opened up in the second half and the teams started creating a ridiculous amount of chances but still no goals.

Lester Dewee was back from injury. He came on in the second half, looked pretty lively, missed a good chance, and then got injured and was subbed off again. Pyzdrowski had an amazing performance in the second half making lots of great saves. Then finally in the 95th minute Hammarby managed to score off a corner and secured their Superettan contract for next season.

The playoffs will take place on thursday and sunday next week with Ängelholm starting at home.

22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Didn't make the Olympic training roster. Too bad.

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Dewee actually had #25 last season. The article is making a comparison to last seasons top goalscorer (pictured below to the left of Dewee) who started out with #4 but switched to #9. He's now been sold to a club in the first division and Dewee has taken over his number which would indicate that the manager has alot of faith in him and expect him to play a big role this season. The club has also signed Bedoyas former teammate Robin Staf from Örebro to provide competition for the forward spots.

[​IMG]

Ängelholm in general seems to have raised their profile for the upcoming season. Last year they didn't have any of their game broadcasted on TV until the very end of the season but now they already have four games scheduled for TV during the first ten rounds (to be fair also in part because the total number of games broadcasted have been increased from two to three per round).

1 person likes this.
  25. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Ängelholm lost their first preseason game today 1-4 against Trelleborg. But even with the negative result Dewee continued to show promising signs for the upcoming season as he scored Ängelholms only goal. After the game the manager also named him as one of the two players who had put in the best performance.