Lesson from Spain-Italy

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Maximum Optimal, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England should just stick to Rugby.

2. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futbol rule #3,425: If the United States win, it doesn't matter because it's just a friendly.

Futbol rule #3,426: If the United States lose, it's completely relevant and further proves the fact that they suck.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Italy-England isn't really comparable to Italy-USA. England sat deep and conceded territory. The US played further up the field and worked the offside trap. Pirlo completed 91 passes against the US but 114 against England. Italy completed 557 passes to the US' 334. Italy completed 744 to England's 269.

Shea and Williams didn't provide much of an attacking threat and the England centerbacks are much better passers than their US counterparts; thus England started their counters more effectively. England's attacking movements and finishing in the attacking third were pretty horrific however. First 25 minutes presented a golden opportunity missed.

Pirlo was Pirlo. He did his thing but Italy's passing supremacy was comprehensive without being deadly. What stood out for me w/re to the US was the play of the English centerbacks which kept the team in the game, Rooney's lack of sharpness and engine, and England's clumsiness moving forward. Good chances few as they may be are going to be there against teams like Italy and Spain. You've got to have the snipers and in form
    players to make the most of them.

Rooney isn't on the level of Donovan and Dempsey as a Summer tourney player.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Pirlo, Ozil and Xavi are the elite right now, definitely. With Pirlo you notice it less because the guys up front waste so many chances. With Xavi you notice it less because Iniesta shares in the role.

Still, bet the three put together don't have Donovan's numbers. ;)

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Del Bosque is probably holding it over till they meet Germany, but I would not be surprised to see a two striker formation with Llorente/Torres or Llorente with Cesc tucked underneath and J.Navas coming in late for the crossing/wing play.

He has at least one change he is holding over for Germany, I think. Maybe he thinks he can beat Portugal with his current no-striker team. Personally I think Bruno Alves is given to mental lapses. I would go right at him.

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain's keys to victory

1. Effectively handling Portugal's talented wingers Nani and C-Ron.

2. Rui Patricio is the weakest goalkeeper left in the tournament. He needs to be tested early and often, particularly with outside shots. Forget about the perfect finishing opportunity for the sake of possession. Test the keeper. Spain's premier outside shooter has not played, Santi Corzorla might be an option.

3. Deny the quick counter to the wingers following a turnover. If Spain has a weakness, it is that they are vulnerable to the counterattack. The best time to counter is when Spain has pushed forward in attack and loses possession. Spain should be aware of this and be ready to deal with the counter.

4. Spain is an exceptionally patient team. Early they need to be most concerned defensively. If Portugal scores first, they are capable of making things tough for Spain. So look to control the tempo early particularly defensively.

5. Spain is not necessarily strong in defending crosses and set pieces. These should be limited. They need to be very brave and focused in these circumstances.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is Portugal Brazil? They were lucky to get a goal against the Czechs in the last game.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    ooohhh, completely forgot about Negredo. A more savvy, technical striker who can slip into the spaces between Pepe and B.Alvez. At 6ft he can also bang into those guys a bit. Del Bosque with an embarrassment of riches to choose from.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Man, Spain could win this tournament and the following world cup with their bench! Ridiculous.

10. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal is ranked 10th in the world and will probably move up. Brazil is currently 5th.

Portugal is not playing today because women think C-Ron is good looking . . .

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Had to turn off the English announcers already. The usual biases and EPL-centered crap when announcing international games.

Rossonero23 repped this.
  12. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portugal are more than holding their own. Spain look pretty vulnerable against the pace on the wings. And they don't look as defensively sound at the moment. Panicking to clear it out.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    And today's lesson from Vinnie del Bosque is - stick to your strengths.

14. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Taking penalty kicks?

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) That would be in second place to "They can't beat you if they don't score any goals."

Again, I would offer that possession for possession's sake means very little other than a blip on the stat line. Shooting and finishing trump possession every time . . .One C-Ron moment of brilliance, as Dempsey enjoyed in Genoa, and the match is over.

Tika-taka is very boring without execution and commitment in the final third.
    Spain, as the current USA model, take so excruciatingly long in their build up, that the opponent is well prepared with a jammed up defense in the attacking third.

If Germany reach the final (and I suspect they will), their quick strike ability will be interesting.
    Ozil and Pirlo will be an intriguing study today.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Could be that they are tired, but Silva and Xavi were not effective. I wonder if Lost in Del Bosque runs out a 4-2-3-1 with some serious wing play.

-----------------Llorente--------------
    --Pedro-----------Iniesta----------Jesus-----
    -------------Xavi------------Busquets-----
    -ALba-------Pique------SR--------Arbeloa

Just a thought. More than likely he will want Xavi, Silva, Iniesta running
    in behind the centerbacks, but with real width he would pin back Lahm, Pugdolski,
    Mueller and with perhaps the most intriguing match up of the tournament in Iniesta v. Schweini.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Jogi decides to run out Kroos, in my opinion a more 'direct' player than Ozil, but they bring him in for Mueller.

A Kroos, Gomez, Mueller CM/RM/F pairing would be the most natural because of the BM partnership, but they keep in Ozil.

Let's see how this plays out.

18. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Ballack makes a good point at half-time about Kroos crowding Ozil in the middle. It's a point that happens to be highly relevant to JK's efforts to shoe-horn every increasing numbers of central mids into out lineup.

Ballack not Klinsmann for USMNT coach!

bltleo repped this.
  19. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    you are funny
    first you want my Klinsi:)
    my favorte coach and former player
    and now my absolute favorite Ballack, this good-looking German man:)
    hm...what I´m going to do????
    o.k take Michael Ballack...I will survive.
    he has deserved some big task...he had not so happy bye-bye in Leverkusen and in German Natioanal team....
    I like USMNT...not only because of Klinsi...

P.S people I´m frustrated....Italy scored 2 goals against us right now....I´m sad..

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I liked Italy's midfield balance. A couple wide players, and Pirlo and DeRossi playing deep and compact. Beautiful. I think Italy is the team we can learn from more than any other at the moment.

Mr Martin and bltleo repped this.
  21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hi MO
    i was so frustrated that i went to bigsoccer after some time..and wanted to share my frustration with other Germans.)...you are right Italy was better..but why against GERMANY, again..like in 2006
    i get heart attack.....hm ...the same procedure like every tournament: Germany and Portugal eliminated....and can just look who is 3rd. from them...Spain, boring again in final....Italy..o.k
    Italy should win this thing now....enough with Spain now
    I´m really sad...we were so so good..maybe too arrogant and optimistic...hm...in semi-final again..
    my poor Löw...I´m sad........i will drink German beer now to stop my frustration

Pirlo..Buffon...hm...they are great....DeRossi.......Italy is Italy...tournament team..

hm........
    P.S MO...you need to help me to change my signature....:)

22. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BALLACK is fantastic...he would be surely good coach..
    he left Leverkusen...i saw him many times in Leverkusen..
    he need to win some titel finaly....maybe someday with USMNT as coach
    .....hm....my Michael:)

23. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    just add the words "except against Italy" and your sig will be fine.

bltleo repped this.
  24. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy's midfield actually plays narrow. Pirlo, De Rossi, Marchisio, and Montolivo. Marchisio is about as close as they get to having a midfielder comfortable out wide.

That system is built for Pirlo. And building a system for him to be successful is a pretty smart move.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  25. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    haha, great..i will DO it...when Italy win the EUro now..now i root for them...Not for Spain
    then I will change my signature..."except Italy"..hm...my heart is going to break changing my super
    German signature...:)
    but compliment to Italy...they should win it now....Pirlo and co.