Les Bleus news and media gossip

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by N. Platini, Jun 15, 2010.

1. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    French Football Federation Accused Of “Racial Quota”
    France's football federation (FFF) is to hold an internal inquiry into claims its officials backed a secret racial quota for trainees.

Top FFF members are said to have secretly approved limiting the number of black and Arab trainees to 30% from the age of 12-13.

France's Sports Minister, Chantal Jouanno, asked the body to respond to allegations made by journalists.

FFF head Fernand Duchaussoy denied any such quota had been agreed.

Ms Jouanno promised to uphold guarantees of equal opportunities in sport.

"Discrimination has no place in sport, whether it's in the stands or in the training academies," she added.

Race became a sensitive issue in French football again after the dire performance of the national team at last year's World Cup in South Africa.

Controversial accusations circled in some quarters that the team, which had six black players, had mutinied in South Africa because of race.

The South Africa experience was in sharp contrast to 1998, when France fell head over heels in love with its multi-ethnic World Cup-winning team of "Blacks, Blancs, Beurs" - blacks, whites and Arabs.

'Segregation'
    The French investigative website Mediapart broke the story about a supposed secret quota on Thursday.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

It's a lie to say that the France coach was involved”

Laurent Blanc
    France coach
    Quoting "scandalised" sources within the FFF, it said the alleged directive from its National Technical Direction (DTN) had already been sent out to training academies.

Mediapart alleged that senior FFF members including national coach Laurent Blanc had approved the quota.

"The objective declared within the DTN, but undisclosable to the general public, is to limit - by filtering them right from the age of 12-13 - the number of French players of African and North African kind," the website said.

"A genuine segregation applied to football."

Commenting on the allegations, the sports minister said: "I take note of the French Football Federation's denial about the existence of such a policy and I invite it to very quickly shed light on the allegations in the article".

Blanc denial
    Laurent Blanc strongly denied any plans for an ethnic quota.

"There is no plan to introduce quotas," he said in Bordeaux on Friday. "It's a lie to say that the France coach was involved."

He added that he had attended a meeting with federation officials in November but that the main item on the agenda was to "define a style of play and a training programme aimed at having the best results in five years".

Since he took over from Raymond Domenech after the World Cup, Blanc has often raised the problem of players with dual nationality, who benefit from French training academies before choosing to play for another country, the Associated Press news agency reports.

In Paris, Mr Duchaussoy denied "instructions, orders" about a quota had been given by the FFF.

"But then, in an informal discussion... I cannot be everywhere," he told reporters.

"There will be an investigation. What happened in a meeting, behind a door or in the corridors... I cannot vouch for everyone working at the federation. But I am confident [that there was no wrongdoing]."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13236864

It's sad this has come out ( regardless of it's true or not ) when we finally have a good coach who has a philosophy of good attacking football . He's in a bad position .

For what it's worth I really doubt Blanc would agree to such a thing but who knows ?

One could assume that there's been quota for having black & arabs when you consider that the youth teams all the way up to the EdF , the teams is/were mostly dominanted by non-white players ( who later go on to play for a different NT . ) Yet France is still predomintly populated by it's people . Maybe white kids just isn't interested in football anymore , and would rather do rugby instead , but I doubt that .

2. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think it deserves a thread on its own.

There are strong discussions everywhere since yesterday about the trainees' sport profiles and the binational players

3. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    somebody please shed some light on how reliable a news source Mediapart is. On the wikipedia page it says that it is a pay only news website. Its also interesting that they've dropped this bombshell of a story but that they have waited to reveal to "proof" until later.

4. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    A shocking headline that does not reflect what Blanc and co said.

I don't really see what's the problem with what they said. It's not like Laurent Blanc never mentioned the problem of the players with two nationalities before. Except that this time, it's been backed up with a title from a journalist incompetent, looking for notoriety for him and the media he's working for.

Personally, I find it ridiculous to have players who play for a nation at youth level and play for another nation later or when you see some players joining a nation right before a world cup. The FIFA should do its job.

As for black people, the clubs have to sell players to keep their economic since they don't have the right to make as many debts as the other clubs in Europe. EPL is buying a lot of players for a good price and they like players who are strong and fast. It's probably the profile of players the easiest to sell and not only in EPL.
    Let's face it, these strong players are very often black. It's just a fact. Plus, when Blanc mentions Spain, it refers to the players who lack creativity, skill and who are relying only on their strength. Unfortunately, he's right when he says that he's unsure whether or not Xavi and Iniesta would have been pro in France.

By the way, what is scaring me is that medias like RMC and especially Riolo spread the idea that you only need talent in football. It'd not be good to go from an excess to another. You can't be competitive with 10 Nene on the pitch. Strength, speed and stamina is extremely important too. We need a huge variety of profiles and not to concentrate only on one kind of players. Complementarity is the key of success in football.

5. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As long as the French NT is waaay behind every other selection a French player could chose (and it is), I think that the players with two sport nationalities are NOT a problem.

6. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not sure if I understand you .

You have no problem with players who have dual nationality to be trained in french schools then play for a different country later on ? This means someone who is french missed out on a chance in the youth teams , and potentially a chance with the full team . This rule is a joke IMO .

NicolasN great post , I'm in total agreement .

7. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No because someone who is French and only French is not put on the side by someone who's not. This one IS French. And the INF Clairefontaine chose him because he was more promising than the French-French.

Bamogo, Bassong, Benachour and others are French. They were just not good enough for the French team, or they missed something, anyhow, they COULD have been French internationals but they weren't. And AFTER they missed their chance they decided to go for another side.

Specific discussion thread here https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1720959

8. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hahaha, that is great. I hope I can catch some episodes of that. I wonder if this squad will walk out on him too.

9. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    1 lloris
    2 ruffier
    3 mandanda
    4 carrasso

whats your top 4?:eek:

10. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    AC Milan's Mathieu Flamini hopes to be fit for France in time for Euro 2012 after knee injury

The former Arsenal man is completely focused on making a full recovery from his recent knock and he is keeping hopes alive for a place in the national squad for Poland and Ukraine

Mathieu Flamini is ready to overcome his fight with injury so he can play for France at Euro 2012.

The AC Milan midfielder is currently recovering from surgery to his knee after rupturing ligaments two weeks ago whilst playing against Juventus in a friendly.

And while an immediate return is off his mind, estimates suggest he will be back in six months and Flamini is eager to plan the future.

"The important thing is for France to have a good group campaign and qualify for the Euros," Flamini told
    RMC.

"I have not forgotten about France, but my priority now is my knee.

"I have to recover, but I hope I can be back in 2012 to enjoy the rest of the season."

France play Romania on Tuesday in their Euro 2012 qualifying match.

11. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What the hell is Flams talking about, he hasn't represented France in 3 years lol.

12. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    YES 3 years OVERDUE!

no more CRAPPY ALOU DIARRA :D

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hear hear! but there are more guys in line ahead of flamini for diarra's spot in the EdF than there are standing in line to take ribery's spot in zahia.

14. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    hahahahah

15. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    @ Guignol-LOL!!!
    Regarding Flamini: Give him some credit. At least he strives to play for les Bleus again. He probably holds that honor in high regard unlike many recent France players.

16. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Don't get me wrong, I like Flamini. But he just sounds a little silly seeing he hasn't been in the fold for several years now.

17. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I understand where you're coming from. I thought the same thing at first but then I starting thinking that it's good that many players might still strive for that. Mexes also came to mind. He hadn't played for France in quite a while but then Blanc brought him back and he's been our rock in defense and has been sorely missed during his injury.

18. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    plus 3 years isnt that long. When did Gomis last play for France? I would like to see him make a come-back too.

19. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    lol good point

20. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Laurent Blanc has failed: keeping Evra, Ribéry and others is such a disgrace...

Get lost Laurent Blanc, Arsène Wenger will soon be available...

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    très peu pour moi merci. i'd rather see rudy g. he'd get satisfaction or know the reason why!

22. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No more Alou Diarra call ups. He's playing bad and at his age he's likely to keep slipping. Gonalons can take his spot.

23. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

This is all a bit premature. 1 year after the calamity that was WC 2010. He's not a miracle worker!

24. CoDave

CoDave Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Colorado USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No matter what Blanc has done or not done to this point, he cannot be compared to the nightmare known as Domenech!! Plus, I wouldn't go so far as to call the returns of Evra and Ribery a disgrace. I can think of MUCH worse things that they could have done. Let's put it in perspective without the media over-sensationalizing everything for us (which is what they do best, no?).