Lemont Raiders U17B

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by aek chicago, May 16, 2012.

1. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I think we're saying the same thing....since there really isn't a U17 DA level, the competition (teams) Lemont plays IS in fact the best in the country at the U17 level...even if by default. This doesn't mean that the Lemont kids are playing against the best possible U17 players in the US...they aren't. But the kids they ARE playing against (IMO, just a notch below DA), they're pretty much having their way with.

That leaves the second question....is Lemont's U17 side DA caliber?

Given Lemont's showing this year in various competitions, plus a critical analysis of the talent on their roster, my opinion is YES they are.

2. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you and the Lemont U17 side should get a room. Wow, that's a lot of love dude. You must really enjoy you're reffing.

3. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    No DUDE, I don't enjoy my reffing all that much...I enjoy good soccer, which Lemont plays....as do several other teams. I give credit where credit is due. I had never seen them play before until Tuesday night and they had their way with a pretty good Galaxy side. I don't need to speak for Lemont, their play speaks for itself. Just like the play of the DA sides (and several other teams) speaks for itself.

p.s. "your" is not a contraction.

4. chitownseadog

chitownseadog Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Galaxy 17's beat Lemont 17's in State Cup final. Galaxy win 17's & 18's ? they have to be glad the Fire decided to not play State Cup : )

5. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Clarification...Galaxy won in pk's after after a 1-1 tie in regulation...and after a 45 minute weather delay.

I've reffed Galaxy's U18's also...both Galaxy sides are good....but neither as good as Lemont.

6. bighouse

bighouse New Member

May 21, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lemont is an amazing team but dont sell the Galaxy U17s short. The game at UIC was essentially a home game for the Raiders as it was a fundraiser put on by Lemont. For both games between Galaxy and Lemont, Galaxy was without their starting and only goalie. The goalie that beat Lemont yesterday is a forward, who was playing his 2nd game (the first was in the State Cup semis). Galaxy took two leads yesterday 1-0 and 2-1 and the Raiders tied it up with only a couple of minutes left in the game. While the Raiders dominated at UIC they were outplayed yesterday by Galaxy and if it weren't for several incredible saves by the Raiders' goalie, Galaxy could have won by a comfortable score.

7. misfit930

misfit930 New Member

May 21, 2012
    Three things I want to point out; 1) The Raiders U17 team is one of the best teams I have seen play. They have a level of talent that most clubs could not assemble. However, they are always up and down, as was represented by their loss to the Galaxy team yesterday in state cup. 2) The two best teams in the midwest are the Raiders and Galaxy at the U17 level. I will admit I think the Raiders have more talent and should be the better team. Unfortunately, as we watched the other day when Chelsea won, the better team is not always crowned the champion. I would not be surprised to see the Raiders play Galaxy in the Nationals in South Carolina in July. The Galaxy team has already qualified. At the end of the day, it would be a great day for Illinois soccer to see these two teams square off for the National Championship. As we saw yesterday, anything can happen. 3) Finally, to the person who discounted the PKs, if the Raiders were that much better it would never have gotten to PKs, not to mention that the person who was stoned on the final PK was their star player. The back up goalie, who was a forward up until last week, stoned two PKs. The Galaxy team was missing players and still won. When they have their full roster, it will be very intersting.

8. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I can tell you what I see on the field, and trust me, I have the absolute best view of it. Lemont is definitely a cut above in technical ability/skill. If I'm a college coach, I would probably go through at least a half dozen Lemont kids before I looked at one of the Galaxy players. That's not a knock on galaxy but rather speaks to the talent level of lemont. If I were a betting man, on a good field in good conditions in a best of 7 series, I'd have a hard time laying money on Galaxy winning even one match.

9. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Nobody is selling the Galaxy short. They're a good team. Lemont is simply better.

Lemont doesn't play its home games at UIC. The site was fairly neutral. The crowd was definitely pro Lemont and the fundraiser WAS for Lemonts trainer, but neither had any effect on the outcome of the match whatsoever. What mattered was that a more skilled team had a bigger pitch in good condition with good weather to play on. Galaxy could not cope with Lemonts midfield, nor with its stud striker up front. You could see it in the Galaxy players eyes every time that kid tocuhed the ball anywhere near the 18. As I said earlier, Lemont finished it off basically in 13 minutes. Galaxy scored on a dfk just outside the 18 on one of the very few times they got forward save for the last 20 minutes or so when Lemont started emptying its bench.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. Goalkeepers don't play, they goalkeep. My assesment was based on the 10 field players each team put out on the pitch. Nonetheless, losing their keeper to a broken arm sure didn't bother them yesterday so why would it make any difference last Tuesday? Only one of Lemonts 4 goals on Tuesday could have possibly been saved by a better keeper. In any event, the keeper had nothing to do with how much possession Lemont had, how many chances they created, and how they basically dominated the match.

What difference does this make? Lemont was playing without RA, a national team selection, on Tuesday. So what? A keeper doesn't beat an opponent, his/her team does.

The difference was the size of the respective pitches and the weather/field conditions. Bad field, small field, bad weather all favor a less skilled team. And no, Galaxy could play Lemont 100 times and never win by a "comfortable" score. Hyperbole. Galaxy=very good team, but not in Lemont's class.

10. bighouse

bighouse New Member

May 21, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All very interesting and very informed. However, you forgot that Lemont lost yesterday. You can't measure heart and its effect on the outcome. You are right, the Raiders have more technical skill and they probably will get more D1 offers, but there are games where technical skill won't determine the outcome. Effort, teamwork, the ability to perform in the clutch, goalkeeping, and yes, the conditions all play a part. These kids play in the Midwest and sometimes it is windy. So, windy weather games aren't fair for Lemont? Did you watch the game yesterday? Lemont had only 2 great scoring opportunities and scored on both. Galaxy was stopped on at least 4 open shots inside 10 yards.

11. Cambia

Cambia New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    IF you truly are a ref, I certainly hope you are not on the field when for one of my games. You seem to have alot of interest in the Lemont Raiders and are pretty defensive for someone who should be unbiased while working on the field.

12. respecthegame

respecthegame Member

May 1, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    No way this guy is just a ref. Why not come clean and admit your affiliation with Raiders? Certainly no shame in that. This Raiders team has had hard luck in the State Cup finals.

13. SockerFan70

SockerFan70 Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago
    No kidding! funny he cheers, i mean refs, the game they win 4-1, but he isn't there to ref during state cup and they lose. maybe its not just the field and home crowd that made the difference in the mrl game :)

14. ILSOC5

ILSOC5 New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I watched Galaxy in the semi's and they play about has tight as a team could be. Congrats to Lemont and Galaxy. They beat some good teams to get to the finals.

15. chitownseadog

chitownseadog Member

Dec 21, 2006
    how is saying a team is very good cheering for them? You guys are pathetic, this Lemont group have been special for a few years now and thats not taking away from a Galaxy team who are fantastic. You can be a ref and still be a fan of the game and enjoy quality soccer cant you? what you're implying just shows a total lack of class.

16. Not Vago

Not Vago Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a ref and a pretty good one at that.

17. illinoisyouthsoccerfan

May 21, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I, for one, am proud to have both the teams being discussed here representing Illinois in national competitions. As one poster stated earlier, let's see them both make it to Nationals and play each other for the championship. It certainly could happen. Despite the back and forth on this forum, I'd venture to say that when it comes to the players, by and large they have great respect for one another. Good luck to both in regional and national competition this summer!

18. Cambia

Cambia New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    IF he is a ref...he should probably review the USSF Program for Referee Development Code of Ethics for Referees....particuarly item #10...

19. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been quite entertaining.. We're sure to get the report of the Lemont Studs vs. the Galaxy Average Joes from our Nationals correspondent, who will be undoubtedly travelling to partake in the spectacle of all that is the Raiders U-17s! Can hardly wait for the breathless game summaries.

Cambia repped this.
  20. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Chances are, I HAVE been on the field for one of your games. If you can't distsinguish the difference between appreciating quality soccer and being detached and neutral as an arbiter, then you need some help. Lemont is not the only team I've been impressed by. Nonetheless, Tuesday was the first time I had seen them play.

FWIW, I've also been very impressed by the Fire Academy teams....top notch. A few years back, I also liked a Cicero Mayas side and the Elgin Pumas as well. Two years ago I did a Scott Gallagher side in MRL that was outstanding. Has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on how I whistle a game...NONE. Never has, never will.

21. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes, whats that? Do tell, this should be interesting.

22. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    So are you saying galaxy played without heart, or with less heart, on Tuesday? Cause I can assure you that was NOT the case. Those boys gave it everything they had until the final whistle. Effort/heart is not something Galaxy lacks, at any point in time. I've reffed them enough times to know that unquestionably.

23. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes, thats it....the ref is responsible for the 4-1 scoreline....LOL!

24. Cambia

Cambia New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    You're the ref (as you've told us all over and over and over......)!!! Look it up!

25. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    It's unfortunate that some people view this as "back and forth" when I wish nothing but the best for BOTH sides. I had never seen Lemont play until last Tuesday, although I was familiar with most of their players on an individual basis. I wanted to see what such a compilation of talent could do collectively and I WAS impressed after Tuesdays showing. Having reffed quite a few U17 matches, I frankly had never seen a team THAT good at THAT level. That's why I posted the original question.

How this turned into a Lemont v Galaxy "back and forth" is absolutley beyond me. I think very highly of Galaxy also. What's ironic is that the same people on this thread who readily and candidly admit Lemont is the more talented side are nonetheless claiming I'm somehow biased in favor of Lemont, for basically stating the blatantly obvious they've already conceded....LOL.