Legend Paulo Roberto Falcão honored at WC Stadium

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by SoccerScout, Apr 6, 2014.

1. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The answers to those trivia questions : juniors nickname was " the helmet"!... Socrates specialized in feet as a doctor.. Cerezo started to cry after rossis second goal .. Eder got shot in a nightclub in 1978 ! And zico swallowed one of his false teeth and had another tooth knocked out in training before espana 82.. I am full of useless facts !! Lol

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    heres another question for you pipiolo.. You obviously are a fan of socrates - but can you tell me why he had a beard ?

3. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    James.. Yes zico was a superb player and one of my favourites ever but he had bad games and off days the same as any player..in the 1982 world cup i thought by his standards he had a bad game against ussr in 82 and i would say junior and socrates were the best players in that game.. I thought eder was the best player against scotland. Zico the best player against new zealand .. Falcao was the best brazilian player in the 1st half against argentina and zico the best in the 2nd half and i thought falcao and socrates were the best against italy..

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My point is completely lost in you but it's no surprise. No offense, but you really should stick to North American sports like basketball.

Can Messi, Cristiano, Suarez, et al play the #8 position for their clubs/NTs? Right now, Argentina has no in form center mid for the World Cup, so why hasn't Sabella moved Messi there then?

The best Brazilian football magazine knows nothing of this, just leave it to @JamesBH11 to tell us how things are in Brazilian football history :rolleyes:

Once repped this.
  5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How fitting for Socrates :thumbsup:...And Cerezo needed to man up at that moment (fantastic player though).

To identify with the left wing icons Che Guevara and Fidel Castro?

@giles varley

6. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thats what i used to think mate.. But socrates grew a beard to cover his acne and pimples !

Pipiolo repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Wow ... like a new found ?

For your info:
    1- It does NOT matter. You are the one who brought up those "awards" to judge the players, so I just LIST out the Best SA where Zico was recognized much more.
    YET now you say it's "popularity contest" ??? what a double standard is it?

2-Now even so, since you brought that Placar Bola de Ouro up:
    I am not sure if you know how to count?
    Zico won 2 Bola d'ouro = Falcao won 2 Bola Douro
    But Zico was in 4x times of Bola de Prata > Falcao with only 2.

3- do you really know how those awards was ranked and rating? (I do NOT think so)
    They went for the players with the teams advanced DEEP into Brasiliao ... OK? so that Falcao got 78 & 79 as their team reached SF and FINAL.

4- Last and not least, having said that, base on your (invalid) point, Cerezo and roberto costa won 2 each would be ranked as BETTER then a romario with only ONE???? none sense ...

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yeah coming off from a guy who said Paolo Rossi WC performance > Pele ????
    ( I recomend you visit my post in WC heroes to see the TRUTH)

very very intrigued and acurate? LOL

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure what Rossi has to do with anything here, but sure his performance in WC86 is part of the mythology of soccer.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes that's example to show your knowledge and how you distort the player's ability LOL
    (you often argued with me that Rossi 82 > Pele 58 or Pele70 )

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, comparing solely the individual tournament performance, Rossi at WC82 can rate higher than either of Pele's performances.

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    that's when your reputation is down the drain .. LOL

13. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There is no need to compare falcao and zico.. Its chalk and cheese again ! One was a deep lying/ centre midfielder who
    liked to attack and the other was an attacking midfielder/ goalscorer... Falcao was a highly intelligent footballer , a box to box midfielder who had steel and skill... I could choose many moments from his roma days to illustrate how clever he was ..but to me the moment that best describes falcao came about 36 minutes (?) into the first half against argentina at espana '82.. Junior- wide on the left flank takes a throw to eder who knocks it straight back to junior - junior looks up and sees falcao running down the centre of the pitch towards the argentinian area - junior plays a firmly hit cross/pass at head height into falcao 20 yards from goal... There seems to be nothing that falcao can do with the pass. But in a split second falcao works it out. He angles a cushioned header onto socrates' forehead who is standing near the penalty spot. Socrates instantly heads it back into the path of falcao who has continued his run to the left side of the argentinian area and falcao volleys just over from around 12 yards... ..the moment lasted seconds but it was falcao in a nutshell - speed of thought, intelligence,imagination and creativity. How to open up a defence out of nothing.. And falcao's career was full of moments like that.. Completely different to zico but every bit as good in his own way...

Pipiolo repped this.
  14. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't agree on that statement mate ! .. Explain ?

15. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have immense respect for you and your opinions pipiolo.. But this comment caught me completely off guard ! I nearly choked on my toast !....

JamesBH11 repped this.
  16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Don't expect @JamesBH11 to understand this since there are no mindless stats.

Respect is mutual, WC82 is also my first WC that I watched live.

As for Rossi's performance, it is one of the greatest ever without a doubt after the group stage. He was a true terror to the opponents, every time Conti would cross or Antognioni would lay it off, there was an expectation of what Rossi would do. His three goals against Brazil is truly one of the landmark performances in football history.

@giles varley

17. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree that rossi's performance in the latter stages were an ultimate lesson in goal poaching but i would not class his performance as above pele in 1970 or 58.. Rossi was an opportunist.. Against brazil ,2 of his goals were the result of sloppy defending . They were not well crafted goals. The third had a degree of fortune to it.. He was an inzaghi ( no comparison) type player and he was brilliant at preying on mistakes or being in the right place at the right time and he was a good finisher.. But i dont consider his performance to be among the best i ve seen.. In terms of goals scored yes i agree but there was no real flair from rossi or creativity.. If brazil had held on for a draw rossi would have been crucified for missing a big chance to make it 3 - 1... I am not trying to change your opinion.. i can see where you are coming from.. But the performances of giresse, falcao, socrates, boniek etc were more memorable than rossi's in my own opinion.. Pele was brilliant for brazil in 1970 so many iconic moments.. The just wide lob from halfway , the sublime touch to jairzinho for the winner against england, the dummy against uruguay.. In the final pele headed the first goal, knocked the ball down to jairzinho for the third and layed on the ball for the ultimate iconic 4th goal. . He also played a part in alot of other goals and created chances.. That to me was much better than rossi - but i suppose its down to personal taste

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. I think Rossi's performance helped change the course of football for the next dozen years, where the old axiom of "offense is the best defense" as exemplified by Brazil, the Netherlands and Argentina, went out of fashion. While there were teams who played against the new trend, most notably the AC Milan of Sacchi and the Sao Paolo of Tele, it was not until the 00s that we saw a consistent move to a more attack-minded philosophy.

@giles varley @greatstriker11

19. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are probably right but was it a good change for the game ? I think brazil were more than capable of winning the 82 world cup but lost on the day to italy... 1986 brazil were also good enough to have won but both those teams lost by fractions playing great football against quality opponents.. I think brazil have sacrificed too much of their roots since 1986. I think football really became more negative in general after the 1986 world cup.. The 1990 world cup was mostly boring and negative but for west germany and italy..

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It certainly wasn't attractive, and perhaps not necessarily good for the game, but I felt it was a new "canvas" on which the great players had to express themselves, a new medium to apply their brushstrokes of genius, rather than follow the same old patterns. In this respect only through this change can a performance like Maradona's at WC86 come to fruition, not the old standard of the greatest amongst greats (like Pele, Garrincha, Cruyff or Kempes had done before), but a new fresh approach: lifting a substandard team to otherwise improbable (or downright impossible) heights.

In any event, it was a phase that served to expand the history of football, and it seems the past ten years we are seeing a complete break in turn. I am not too sure all these 5-1, 3-0 scorelines are any much more entertaining however.

21. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well said.. I see what you mean more clearly now.. I think brazil 1994 had a touch of argentina 1986 about them.. They relied heavily on romario to add the style and goals to a workman like team.. Jorginho leonardo and bebeto were also great but they were playing to the system...

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    It indeed erased all of Pipiolo's credits ever since built up LOL

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Let me help you :
    I do NOT expect anything at all for such comment since there is NONE existed.
    it's all nothing but your imagination LOL.

Similar performance to Rossi's 82 : Kempes 78, Schilacci 90, and Baggio 94 (close) ...
    In fact Schillaci was the better of them all in term of consistency to deliver to the (bad) team.

They all share another similarity : one time wonder LOL (bar Baggio)

24. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you have some kind of vendetta against pipiolo james ? ? Has this battle of words been going on since the last world cup ? !! Lol

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    not at all ... actually I like him ( I meant I like his attitude) - that;s why most often I sarcastically replied with LOL (at the end)
    He is stubborn but he is more "natural" then .. say .. "crooked"