Lee Young-Pyo @ Vancouver Whitecaps 2013-2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by ChaDuRi671, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korfan

korfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I might be late but is he <officially> retired from the NT? Any chance he'll be included in HMB's plans if not?

2. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He officially retired after the 2011 Asian Cup.

korfan repped this.
  3. korfan

korfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I now feel very stupid. Hem, hem... moving on!

4. AA28

AA28 New Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's tied for second most assists (5) on the team this season. I think he was tied for third most assists (4) last season.

It tells you just how well he is still playing, but it's also indicative of how the team isn't that good at attacking.

5. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  6. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #56 dudedudedude, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    I don't think its indicative on how weak your attack is. It just shows how versatile your attack can be.

It's a even a rare thing in Europe. Attacking fullbacks are a luxury and all the best clubs have them. The problem is finding a player to compliment the wingback like player. Bayern Munich does it best at the moment without sacrificing too much on the defensive side.

7. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Confirmed. He will retire after this season. One of the best Asian (probably the best) full back to play the game.

8. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    a freaken legend. will be an example for all the future full backs we produce.
    IMO his most memorable moment

9. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who else is there tbh. I can't compare anyone that'd match Lee Young Pyo in his prime.

10. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    YSY

oh wait

11. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You troll fuck. :D

12. korfan

korfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hats off to a great man who led us through world cups. Congrats on a great career.

13. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    best asian fullback ever for sure. it was such a luxury having a defender who can support the attack as well as he did. It was a pleasure watching him take on defenders with his dribbling. Kind of unfairly overshadowed by PJS... We wont have a player like him again for a long time i think.

14. DevastatingTaiji

DevastatingTaiji New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    next to juno and hyunsuk
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    absolute legend... almost like the guy pictured in my avatar.

15. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  16. Amos Oh

Amos Oh Member

Jan 2, 2013
    When I saw Song Jong-gook during 2002, I thought he would be the best Asian fullback, but he soon faded. I don't think he ever reached the same heights fitness-wise, especially after his injury. In fact, in the K-League all-star game several months after the World Cup that year, Lee Young-pyo totally dominated him.

Lee did have his shortcomings: he wasn't so fast, and for all of his stepovers, he didn't often beat his marker to the point where he could make an outswinger from the corner except for rare occasions. He was also not very physical, and he had trouble preventing the crosses from coming in.

But what he nevertheless had very strong points. He wasn't injured very often, and he was pretty reliable, except for some moments such as during the WC 2010 match against Uruguay, when he failed to track the goalscorer when Jung failed to intercept the cross. And unfortunately, many Spurs fans will still remember his big mistake against Manchester United when Park Ji-sung snuck up behind him and with one touch dispossessed him of the ball and assisted to Rooney.

His career effectively started its decline when he refused to sign the contract extension with Dortmund. I think sometimes money became a greater priority than football considerations. Before he signed with Dortmund, his salary demands were so high that he couldn't reach a deal with PSV, and then he ended up signing with Dortmund for not much more than PSV offered anyway, IIRC. As it turned out, Dede was always going to start ahead of him when he recovered his health, so maybe Lee was destined to stay at Dortmund for only one year. It seems that he fell out of favor a bit when he committed what appeared to be a vicious foul near the end of his season there. He was suspended for three games, I believe, even when he had his suspension reduced.

As limited as he was physically and talent-wise, he was one of the hardest working players that ever wore the kit, and he always gave one hundred percent.

I remember one of the insightful posters on this forum predicted that he would be playing at a fairly high level even at the age of 35, judging from the way he took care of his body. He is now well past that age, and it turns out that he was correct.

17. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Forgetting Nagatomo? Also, don't think he was overshadowed unfairly. Lee never really shone after leaving PSV while Park went on to win trophies after trophies.

18. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Damn... Van didn't have a game in Chicago this year. I was really hoping he would extend his career one more season. I should be lucky to have met him even once last year, but would have been nice to have another chance.

Good to see nothing but positive comments at the bottom of the team articles on his retirement. Refreshing considering how BSK complains (and rightfully so most of the time) about fan comments and views on our KPAs, even if it is "just" MLS.

19. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Maybe if he wasn't playing for post Mou Inter.

20. jolim24601

jolim24601 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    east coast
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He had leadership quality written all over him.

21. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    Eh. he's ok. I think LYP was better in his prime. I'm probably biased but then again this is a korean fan forum. I thought he was pretty good at Spurs. And you have to remember he was 28 when he left PSV. You're saying He wasn't unfairly overshadowed and then you point out PJS played for a more prestigious team(so the overshadowing is justified because of this?).

22. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    talent wise? He had plenty of ability and technique

zdrstvte repped this.
  23. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I just don't see much between Lee and Nagatomo. Both are very gifted technically as well as having a good work rate.

Yes, he was older, but I think it's almost natural that a player who plays in a better club would and should get more prestige, even if they're almost the same talent-wise just because of the standard of the team itself.

24. G0ALL

G0ALL Member

Dec 13, 2005
    U.S.
    #74 G0ALL, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    I agree with your statement in general. But i don't know if there is that much of a vast gulf in talent between Man Utd and Spurs.(Man Utd is better of course but theyre not real madrid galacticos) I remember Carrick and Berbatov going to Man utd from spurs.

But yeah, I agree that Korean public liked PJS more(I know i did) because he played for Man Utd and because LYP was a defender

25. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Definitely. An attacker is always more popular than a defender.

Park was never exactly a core team member at Manchester United, but Manchester United was clearly better than Tottenham back then.