Lee Seung-woo @ Barcelona youth [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Koreano, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yes. One in Cadete B (15 yrs.) and 2 in Infantil A (14 yrs.)

2. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm assuming Baek Seung Ho has been promoted to Cadete B?

3. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He has already begun playing.
    And i think the "promotions" go by age unless you're like Messi playing for the first team at 16 yrs. Because in a single team almost everybody is born in the same year i.e. everyone on Cadete B is born in 1997

4. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Ooh very interesting:

The two koreans are very good. They are extremely fast and [I think this is what it's saying] Chang Kyul Hee is working on his defense. The number 9 (Lee Seung Woo) [isn't much?] but is lethal when he is in condition.

5. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm worried at this age that they'd suit up in spanish shirts in WC '22 or whatever it will be.

6. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    im pretty sure spain won't need foreigners in their NT. they have a significant amount of homegrown talents of their own, I'm sure.

7. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not if they really turn out to be messi. Then again, messi doesn't play with spain... but also doesn't have military service hanging over his head.

8. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Not sure what's going on in their heads; but I'm sure they have a sense of loyalty to the motherland. Cha boom was asked to play for Germany but he refused as well.

9. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    If their parents gain permanent residency in Spain, then they can apply for military exemption through the consulate/embassy before they turn 18 iirc.

10. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    spain like italy might have a problem fielding players that arent "spanish" or "italian". if it was germany or england then perhaps yes. but most likely they will be invited around the u16/20 level to make everything solidified.

11. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Wait, does that work in Canada too?

12. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Interesting... should be an interesting situation if they get through and pan out in any way.

13. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    Aren't the kids at barca already a part of the KNT youth level?

btw, it seems like having a problem with recruiting players that aren't considered spanish or italian is actually beneficial based on the last 2 WC results. :D

14. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I know Lee Seung Woo is for sure. Not sure about the other two.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I guess I'm more concerned when they've been in spain for several years, have spanish friends, girlfriends, etc.

Oh well. Lets see if they pan out first.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    LOL. That's a national team in which Fabregas and Mata and Navas and Pedro can't crack the starting lineup, and you're worried that our Koreans will defect INTO that squad?

Korea also has no historical/cultural/political links to Spain, so there's almost no chance that even a naturalized Korean-Spaniard would want to play for Spain.

Plus, somebody brought up the importance that teams like Spain and Italy place on ethnic homogeneity.

17. waltzerwe

waltzerwe Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Damn, his hands looked big in his picture in the first page, and his arms look pretty long in his pic with david villa. Could have been a boxer lol

18. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Probably true but they're not above it either, forgot his name but the black Brazilian DM from Villareal was integral to their Euro '10 squad. Wonder if he got monkey chants by the home fans?

19. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, there is the Ahn Eak Tai connection....he married a spaniard. lived and died in Majorca...also has grand children still living in Spain.

yeah, I know, it's pretty thin.

20. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    lol...had to look up who that was.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    To reach really far, if these guys become the Xavis and Iniestas for Barca, maybe it wouldn't be that far-fetched. And Fabregas seemed plenty pleased to sit on the bench to be with his mates.

As for Korea having no links... I didn't say Korea would. I'm stating three kids who will be spending their formative years going to school in Spain, watching Spanish football, hanging out with Spaniards, etc. They will have links.

Not guaranteed to happen and certainly there are a lot of other rules in play like getting citizenship and all that.

Anyway, let's let the topic go as we have a few years before this is even slightly relevant.

22. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    They'll probably have links/soft spot to Catalunya but not Spain.

At the end of the day, they are Korean. And their families are back home.

Anyway, why would any of our kids want to throw away their pride being Korean and a chance to lead the KNT to join these effing clowns?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Haha. Fair enough. Again, so much conjecture. And in fairly different circumstances, Rossi preferred to be I think bench material for the italian side over the US. Or in a pubescent rage at their folks / gf run away and sign up to be scrubs for the spanish side.

Ah well. It will be a good problem to consider if these guys pan out.

24. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    If I somehow happened to be as good as ronaldo, I'd pick the KNT over the US anyday. But I wouldn't be surprised if another korean guy that happened to live in the US, pick the US over the KNT.

And rossi was born in the US so I guess that's a different scenario compared to our Barca players heading over to spain while they're in their teens. And seriously, I don't think we need to question their allegiance or anything, we're not Africans ;)

25. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic