Learning moves from fifa?

Discussion in 'Player' started by AlexiBorodin, Sep 24, 2013.

1. AlexiBorodin

AlexiBorodin New Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So the other day I was discussing soccer with some of my friends, and they mentioned that they had picked up a fair amount of moves from playing fifa 13. Is this a valid tatic? Has anyone else tried this before?

2. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, you can pick up moves from video games. I'll admit I did. But you also need to learn to use them in the right situations, which are usually NOT the same situations where they're useful in the video games.

rca2 repped this.
  3. amierulaiziq

amierulaiziq New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As a coach, any way you can learn something about the game is fine by me. Now, you'll never learn everything you need to know by playing FIFA—but if it adds to your game, why not?

rca2 repped this.
  5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I play FIFA because it is fun. Better than watching FIFA is watching clips of the real deal. Pick your star dribbler and you will find highlight clips of his dribbling on youtube. Zidane is my favorite to watch.

6. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. You can learn a move from anywhere, so long as it works and you use it in the right context, as above posters mentioned.

Funny, a coach I know (who's actually a bit older) said he thinks it should be MANDATORY that soccer players play FIFA from time to time to learn principles of spacing and such. I laughed but as I thought about it, he's probably right. Every little bit helps.

Though it's interesting that I play FIFA in the same style that I coach my teams to try to play.

7. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Has anyone used fifa in the carer mode ( the mode where you play with only 1 player) to get more information about position in field and tactics ?for example you play in fifa with a midfielder and try to learn from the game the better places to get positioned and good places to run?

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Getting ideas about "moves" is different than learning tactics. In soccer you learn to "read" the game by playing. You see and hear the visual cues and verbal communications, anticipate what is going to happen, make a decision and execute. When you are playing "in the zone" it all happens so fast that the process from seeing and hearing cues to execution blurs and seems like instinct. Playing FIFA you get computer game cues, but those are not real life cues. So I don't think it will help you develop your reading of the game in real life. For instance a study showed playing experience from table tennis does not transfer to regular tennis. So I don't think FIFA game experience is going to transfer to real life soccer.

9. Squex

Squex Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

10. Sincara2

Sincara2 New Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Soccer Village
    There is nothing wrong with learning from FIFA. But i'd say only do it with versions after FIFA12. Now FIFA uses technology that records the exact movements of real players. Garreth Bale was one of the players wired with a suit to replicate some FIFA14 movements.

I scored an outside of the foot goal with bale in FIFA, replayed it about 30 times in slow motion and tried it out in real life with great success. It helps you understand how the ball should contact your foot and how your body should be positioned. +1 support for FIFA

11. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is pretty new to the sport and video games but she was determined to do both with me. She learned basic concepts from FIFA 13 such as spacing and making runs but I wouldn't go in depth. I will say that it's probably a good starter for newer players to get a visual while actually doing something. I've never been very good at moves on the game but I'd imagine it's about the same. Basic idea but needs real life practice for true understanding. Just my 2 cents.

12. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This, 100%.

Zidane and the old, original, Ronaldo are two of the most natural* dribblers I've ever seen.

* by "natural" I mean they've probably practiced to the point everything they've done looks effortless.

13. airbornerocks

airbornerocks Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true, I have done it numerous times. I sometimes record in slow motion movements of players and just watch how they handle the ball over and over.

14. hegs

hegs New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I also do this, I also seem to learn skills from playing the video game .. :D