News: League

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by spinman, Apr 11, 2014.

1. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So SOME of the teams in the new league will own it, but others won't? Oh boy, this won't go well.

2. Blastnut2

Blastnut2 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You are so cute! Do you honestly think that if either side had a better option this would be happening?

3. Blastnut2

Blastnut2 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    You being a fan of Marcie Laumann's teams, you certainly know of things that don't go well.

4. jeffconn

jeffconn Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Club:
    Hampton Roads Piranhas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted, the Piranhas were in one league for 19 years with the same owner and went under due to the owner's health. On the other hand, having an team owner that has seen (or been responsible for) the death of four leagues in 16 years brings a new definition to the phrase "things that don't do well". :p

Beau Dure repped this.
  5. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe those 3 teams are backing the league financially . That is why they want ownership to protect there money who knows as long as we have a league to play in why do we care who owns it

6. GameraRPZ

GameraRPZ Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Hmmmm. What will Syd do it the new league is Multi-Point?

7. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That announcement may not include the Rochester Lancers When I spoke to Sam a couple of days a go he said they still have not been released and his Lawyers are still working on it .

8. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why are there 2 for the blast

9. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long are these agreements 3 years ?

10. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think SYD will scream he wont be happy that's for sure , They said at least 20 teams so each team will get a vote I would think that the vote would be 16-4 for single point scoring

11. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does owning the league or a portion of it even mean? I assume that it does not mean that the Comets, Blast and Sockers will have any ownership interest in other league franchises. More likely it means that owners of those three teams plus the administrators of the old PASL will run the new league. That raises a question about why those owners should have a greater say in running the league than the owners of Dallas and Monterrey, or the owners of Chicago, Harrisburg, Wichita and Tulsa for that matter.

To me, this is pretty strange. Prior to this, I've never heard of a situation in professional sports in which a small number of a league' s teams "own" the league.

12. Fairhope

Fairhope Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Independence, MO
    I would like to see a few totally new expansion franchises. Friends of mine live in Albuquerque. They tell me soccer is huge there. I thought the old New Mexico Chiles did relatively well considering their league and the time they were in it. Geographically, it wold fit.
    The article by Sam McDowell had Budzinski including all seven MISL teams in the new league. Will Pennsylvania Roar once more?
    Oh, I recently visited Birmingham. That city has changed its image and then some. Soccer is very big there also. The downtown has been revitalized. There is more green commons/parks in Birmingham than any other city in the US. There are some killer restaurants (and microbreweries) throughout the city. As for an appropriate arena, not so sure. Trying to think outside the box here.

13. Blastnut2

Blastnut2 Member

Feb 25, 2008
    The current PASL was/is 40% owned by the San Diego Sockers

14. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but what does that mean from a practical standpoint? What additional rights and/or responsibilities did that give to the Sockers? And, if anyone knows, what additional rights and/or responsibilities will the Sockers, Blast and Comets have in this new set up?

15. Fairhope

Fairhope Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Independence, MO
    Another interesting potential city that the Comets/Blast/Sockers could own would be Grand Rapids. The NPSL was considering it as an expansion franchise once upon a time.

16. HBG-Heat

HBG-Heat Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Harrisburg Area
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Center Arena Birmingham Alabama 18,977
    Boutwell Memorial Auditorium Birmingham Alabama 6,000

17. Scooge

Scooge Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Big Sky Country
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    EdD. - The Comets and Blast (or Wave, Ambush, Lancers, Silver Knights) didn't fail...The USL caused the MISL to fail. Don't mix up the two

Even though I enjoy multi-point scoring, I can't imagine the new league doing anything but single-point goals.

Joey Tee repped this.
  18. skipper60601

skipper60601 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Hibernian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I look at it is that the USL enabled the MISL to exist for three additional seasons by bringing in the Syracuse and Rochester franchises. The MISL didn't seem to have much of a future after the 2010-11 season with two of its five franchises barely finishing the season and subsequently folding.

Joey Tee repped this.
  19. kfb5926

kfb5926 Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Prairie Village, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 kfb5926, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    That's the question. Do all of the teams vote on rules and a commissioner, or just the 4 partners?

Imagine if the NBA, MLB or NFL were owned by 4 teams. The assumption is that those franchises would only be looking out for themselves.

It seems like a bad idea, but I'm trying to be optimistic because I enjoy the sport and I want it to succeed.

Joey Tee repped this.
  20. Sgt. Soccer

Sgt. Soccer Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Wichita, KS
    This was posted on the PASL Facebook about 2 hours ago .....

"Professional Arena Soccer LeagueWe formed a new LLC for all of the teams to be partners in. The league release is accurate."

21. NY Gunner

NY Gunner New Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definite pet peeve of mine. We don't see the "Michigan Pistons" and the "Ontario Senators" out there. The Independence Arena rule is idiotic. KC Comets should be the only option.

22. Fairhope

Fairhope Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Independence, MO
    Has there been any talk about Youtube or some other option?

23. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milken is the commissioner , Every team would get a vote in the league . The owners of the Blast comets sockers Do not own the league they are the holding group so this deal could get done that is the way I am understanding it .

24. kfb5926

kfb5926 Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Prairie Village, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a long history of petty snipes between the two states Kansas City straddles. The policy is just one example.

25. cardshopmd

cardshopmd Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think we will find out on May the 19th at the press conference