Latvia vs. Spain | Euro 2008 Qualifier|06-02-07[R]

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by (De La)Redstriker06, May 25, 2007.

1. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Geez the fan should be hanged for that and banned from his own country

2. lad1509

lad1509 Raul *is* Madrid

Sep 18, 2005
    Bay Area
    I dont see how thats good for us, Sweden got 3 points and now we are behind them and ireland.

3. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland
    The game isn't forfeited. It's cancelled by the referee due to concerns for his safety, and Sweden are declared winners by default, with a score of 3-0.

What's ridiculous is the retard who ran onto the pitch and attacked the referee.

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I don't see how Denmark losing is our gain either, the tie would have been great.

5. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland
    Northern Ireland won't last the qualifiers, and the way Sweden were completely outplayed in the second half shows that they won't have the quality to win the group. You guys will either finish first or second, IMO.

EDIT: A tie would have left Denmark with 8 points after 5 games with Latvia left to play. A win there and we'd be above Spain in the standings. This way Sweden are going to be runaway leaders, and Spain are best placed to at least finish 2nd. It just went from a three team race to a two-team race between Spain and Sweden.

6. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    ^ Not to rub it in, but I have a couple of questions.

Can the game be called over and 0-3 without a committee convening about it? As I understand it neither the ref nor the UEFA delegate in the Parken can make a decision of that nature.

I understand the 0-3 is the fan's fault, but Poulsen, to quote you, "punched a player in the gut" in the box and with the ball in play, which is a straight red, a penalty in the last minute and him suspended for multiple games, so this was a lost game for you guys anyway and without Poulsen in the next few games.

Oh, and if you guys have to play your next few home games in a neutral ground, where would it be?

7. lad1509

lad1509 Raul *is* Madrid

Sep 18, 2005
    Bay Area
    and because of a 1 retard the whole country has to suffer?
    that seems unfair to me.

8. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Just saw the punch at the after show with Ljunberg being interviewed.

The DenmArk fan what an idiot Absurd

9. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland
    That's correct. That was a bad decision by UEFA to flash the scoreline 5 minutes after the incident, especially since stadium security had just been shown to be porous. It makes complete sense to end the game, and the final score likely would be 3-0 to Sweden, but yes, it should have passed a committee first. Apparently the decision was made in the locker room, which is pretty odd.

Well, the 0-3 IS the fan's fault. He's the one who invaded the pitch and attacked the referee.

Poulsen showed complete lack of professionalism and class; the penalty and red card are fair decisions. But a penalty can always be saved, a 3-4 is better for goal diff purposes, and Denmark would have a much better chance of taking points from Spain playing at home than in an empty stadium or on neutral grounds.

As for DMs, there are other alternatives -- Leon Andreasen and Rasmus Wurtz.

No idea. They've played friendlies in provincial stadiums with a capacity of 15-20000 -- in Aarhus and Odense, I think.

It's not rubbing it in, btw. I'm disgusted, and I don't think the team should be competing in European competitions after this scandal.

10. lad1509

lad1509 Raul *is* Madrid

Sep 18, 2005
    Bay Area
    meh, boring game.. i mean really boring game but we won so i am happy.
    Sadly the Denmark-sweden game is not yet settled so we will have to wait and see what happens. 3-3 was simply perfect for us :(

11. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    Again not rubbing it in, but UEFA regulations specify that if you are banned from home games, you need to play something like at least 600km from your national borders.

12. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
    Will the 3-0 and not the 3-3 stand permanently ? . Which needs conclude the pk in last minute.

This is a very odd situation with many teams in stake

13. lad1509

lad1509 Raul *is* Madrid

Sep 18, 2005
    Bay Area
    I am going to assume that Sweden wins this game, this is how its looking.
    We basically need to beat NI and Sweden when they come to Spain.

1º Suecia 15
    2º Irlanda del Norte 13
    3º ESPAÑA 12
    4º Dinamarca 7
    5º Letonia 3
    6º Liechtenstein 4
    7º Islandia 4

14. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland
    Oh, I didn't know. Probably Germany or England or something. The last friendly against Australia was played in Charlton's home stadium, I think.

I think normally when the referee cancels a game, the party responsible takes a 3-0 loss. Sweden will win this game, Poulsen will likely get a two or three game ban, and I wouldn't be surprised if DBU is hit with a hefty fine and all home games will be played in a different venue.

15. Hector_Huerta

Hector_Huerta Member

May 2, 2007
    Espn
  16. lad1509

lad1509 Raul *is* Madrid

Sep 18, 2005
    Bay Area
  17. Adrian Cocot

Adrian Cocot Member

Dec 8, 2003
    Cleveland
    If there's anything this episode has done, it's to up my respect for the Swedes. Both the coach and one of their better players (Wilhelmsson, excellent assist for the 3-0) were classy and empathetic when interviewed, and felt that the fans were cheated of the ending.

The worst part about this is that overall Denmark were the better team (even after going down 3-0, if you can believe it) and that Sweden have their goalie to thank for some outstanding saves, especially in the second half, to prevent the 4-3.

Man, it'll take a long time for anyone to live this down.

18. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Shouldnt be too hard.

19. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I am not so sure yet about Spain qualifying, although Denmark with the loss and possibly playing home games away from Vikingland counts the Northmen out.

So that leaves Sweden probably 1st and 2nd either Spain or Ireland the North One.

Today Spain won... because of a silly own goal and a lucky bounce off Iniesta. Not convincing at all. And at one point before the 0-2, two childish defensive miscues could have made it 1-1.

At least we are seeing new faces like Soldado... sort of to shake things up a bit... but this is still a "meh" team.

20. (De La)Redstriker06

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I'll take "meh" performances on the road against a tricky opponent, a wins a win in the end. I fully expect us however, to pick up our game when we play N. Ireland and Sweden IN Spain. As for our performance today... by no means spectacular I thought we were alot better in the second half. Having a guy like Soldado is useful... he knows what to do with the ball when he gets it in the box he had two really nice shots and then provided an open Xavi with a smart pass... Question is why didn't this kid start? I'm willing to give Luis a break on this one... the team got hit with the injury bug and we we're forced to start the game without Silva, Joaquin, and Torres/Moro.

My one criticism of Luis is his adamant use of Albelda... I think Albelda is necessary only when we really have to outmuscle our opponents and fight for possesion. I believe this is only the case when we play Sweden or Denmark (and possibly N. Ireland) against Latvia... playing the more creative Xabi Alonso or CESC (why does luis always forget about him???) will do. They aren't in the same mold as Albelda but they will go in for tackles and win balls if need be while also speeding up our game and providing a much needed spark.

21. lad1509

lad1509 Raul *is* Madrid

Sep 18, 2005
    Bay Area
    yes, 2-0 was a "meh" win, we controlled the game 100% but had 0 creativity when we approached the penalty spot.
    we were slow, lacked passion and the drive to finish, its like they just give up around the penalty area.
    playing a team like latvia is always tricky, they put all 10 players infront of the goal and pray for a counter attack.
    latvia came very close to scoring a goal on the counter making it 1-1 around the 60-70 minute (cant remember) if it happened, we would have been in deep trouble.
    I hate playing teams like latvia, even when they were losing 1-0 and 2-0 they stuck to the same defensive plan, I can't blame them for that though, if they played an open game they would have lost 5-0 maybe even 6-0.

in conclusion, latvia did a great job but were very unlucky with 2 fluke goals... this could have been a very differente game if it wasn't for our good luck.

as far as the denmark-sweden game I find it very unfair to the other teams in their group to hand the game to swedes. this game should be replayed in closed doors. the penalty should have never been awarded since both players were throwing punches at each other(granted only one was caught by the ref). both players should have been red carded.
    so the retarded fan ran into the field. can't they restrain him and move on with the game?
    fans always run into the field, there is no way to completely stop that.
    its very unfair to make a whole country suffer because of one unstable citizen, when do you draw the line??? he lives in Sweden, shouldn't they be held responsible for his actions? or does birth only dictates responsibility?
    what if I support brazil (and am not brazilian) and go to one of their games, run on the field and try to punch the ref, would FIFA hold brazil responsible for my actions even though I am not a citizen BUT love the brazilian team... what I want to know is where do you draw the line.
    teams should not be held responsible for the actions of one unstable retard.
    I feel bad for the danish people as they are generally very respectful and nice people.

22. cbm150

cbm150 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Madrid
    Hey would anyone have a link to some good HD pictures of the last game. Thanks