News: LATimes: Cyber-attack on Defense Department computers raises concerns

Discussion in 'Military Equipment, Service and Technology' started by FCLouie, Nov 28, 2008.

1. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess I spoke too soon yet again. LATimes: Cyber-attack on Defense Department computers raises concerns
    Oh, great. I've know intrusion into secure nets is possible, but I guess I didn't remember something else I ran across months ago about front line officers using thumb drives to carry data from machine to machine.
    One has to wonder how involved the Russian government was considering the number of criminal intrusions that originate from eastern Europe. Another thing that has to be looked at is the possibility that Russia was the launchpad, but not the starting point. A number of other source countries/concerns come to mind, each with their own desire to test the DoDs computer security network. (Including someone with the DoD or US government. :confused:) Either way, it sounds like the new asymmetric warriors from Hackerstan are going to be in demand as mercenaries for the foreseeable future.

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In WWII the DOD broke the Japanese Empire's secret code very early after Pearl. However, a wise enemy, our government, would allow their opponent to carry on as normal while all the time reading their mail. If our military had taken full advantage of the Japanese military's plans then the game is up and their version of the Japanese DOD makes a move to re-do their codes.

I mean the wisest hacker would almost be inclined to allow its victim to think that you have busted his ultra complex, state of the art malware and the case was solved; only in reality to see that hacker use that window as a way to rook the DOD from some other angle.

The odd thing about cyber attacks on the DOD's network is that our DOD have to bust the malware in progress or before it can do harm. It is a reactionary result.
    Considering how covert the Pentagon really does operate in some corners of the global theater where cyber attacks can spawn, I would like to know how offensive minded their protection of the DOD network extends???