Last Movie Watched.... The Xenforo Edition

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Val1, May 4, 2012.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [​IMG]

The Adjustment Bureau - Cool idea. Enjoyed it.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You have to type out the name of the movie you watched. Your picture didn't show up so we have no idea what you saw.

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, this movie is unremittingly bleak. So much so that I actually worry for the mental health of Jennifer Lawrence longterm. A good movie, but one I'll never watch again.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Now you've made me curious! :)

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    fixed

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Emily Blunt more or less saved that movie. :)

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It's really worth a watch but as Val said, "only once."
    Don't even know if I want to drive through the place and you'd have to be a brave man to be a cop.

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Cover Girl Models (1975)

Three models go to Hong Kong for a fashion show and some fashion shoots at local glamor places. They face nothing more dramatic than a photographer trying to bed each of them in turn. But unbeknownst to them, Taiwanese agents are trying to smuggle microfilm containing a list of Chinese spies in one of their dresses. The Chinese are trying to get it back and the CIA is trying to use this opportunity to plant disinformation. Things come to a head in a massive gun and kung-fu fight on the grounds of an agent's manor.

I can't think of anything more banal than the lives of supermodels. The first half of the movie was a giant bore. But things picked up with the introduction of some good-old exploitation kung-fu, and the big fight at the end was fun, even if there was a Star Wars level of difference between the marksmanship between the good guys and bad guys.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [​IMG]

Safe House - load of crap

10. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Aside from the bitter cold, that could very well be anywhere in the rural deep South. Poverty, meth, a murder no one comes close to solving or even cares to solve ... My boss told me to watch it several months ago, saying it could have been our area. And she's right.

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You should watch it. It's slow, but there's so much raw -- white trash? redneck? -- in it, it's engrossing. And yes, people and places like this exist.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

"Midway," which actually reminded me of going to the drive-in theater with my brother and in the back seat, parents in the front, as we watched this through the windshield with the sound coming in through the box hanging in the drivers side window. I was 9 at the time.

Part of Memorial Day Weekend programming on one channel or another . . .

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [​IMG]

Exam (2009)

After a grueling elimination process, the eight remaining candidates enter a room for an exam to see who will be hired. They are given 80 minutes to answer one question. But the exam paper is blank...

This is another of my favorite genres of film - people locked in a single room under intense psychological pressure. The ideas are clever, the tension ratchets quite nicely, and the performances are excellent. Highly enjoyable.

Bonnie Lass and nicodemus repped this.
  14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched the film several times. I think maybe I should put it in that "films you'll always watch" (or whatever it was called) thread. On the other hand, I do agree with you that meth country is no place I'd want to be.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The Double (2011)
    Dir. Michael Brandt

[​IMG]

Disappointing spy thriller which revolves mainly around two plot twists. The first of which you can see coming from a mile away. The second, makes no sense whatsoever. Topher Grace played a more convincing FBI agent than I thought he would've. Gere plays his part nearly on auto-pilot. Always nice to see Chris Marquette ( of "The Girl next door" & "Fanboys" 'fame'). I am spotting a worrying trend of diminished returns for these screenwriters. I really liked their "3:10 to Yuma" remake. "Wanted" was passable as a Jolie action vehicle. This is a step down even from that.

16. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wow, I don't know whether to rep you or not. I admire your intestinal fortitude, I guess. I liked, appreciated the movie, the story it was trying to tell, but this movie gives definition to the word "bleak". There are harsh movies out there that I will watch again, The Pawnbroker being the one I'll probably revisit every 7-10 years, but the landscape for this one is just too harsh.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sat and watched the movie "Get Low" this evening.​

[​IMG]
    We enjoyed it, it's 'from' a true story so after the show she went on the computer to find more. There's a ton out there including a family blog. It's a well done movie with a good supporting cast. Good vehicle for Duvall.​
    I'd recomend it.​
    "No one really knows Felix Bush (Robert Duvall), who lives as a hermit deep in the woods. Rumors surround him, such as how he might have killed in cold blood, and that he's in league with the devil. So the town is surprised when Felix shows up in town with a fat wad of cash, demanding a "funeral party" for himself. Frank Quinn (Bill Murray), the owner of the local funeral parlor, coveting Bush's wad of cash, agrees to advertise a funeral party at which the townsfolk will be invited to tell Felix Bush the stories they've heard about him. To insure a good turnout, a lottery is organized, with Bush's property as the prize. Many people buy tickets. However, nobody wants to tell a story because people fear reprisal from Bush."
    Get low: To be buried.​

18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've been watching a strangely diverting English TV show: Doc Martin.

It's about a highly successful surgeon who develops a pathological fear of blood, has to leave his surgical practice, and move to a quirky seaside village where he becomes a General Practitioner. Think House meets the citizens of Eureka or Twin Peaks. Only the English do quirky better than Americans. Doc Martin is a brilliant doc, but completely asocial and beyond introverted. Of course, the hot single chick inexplicably falls for him and we get the typical boy-gets-girl, boy-loses-girl, tension of a sitcom. Except I find the predictable drama between them to be very compelling. I've spent too many late nights the past week watching the show. I gotta get to bed earlier this evening....

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yes, I get caught up in that show as well. It can be as annoying as hell at times and you want to slap someone, then fun at others.
    Cornwall is a place my wife and I love to go for a break from visiting family when in England. She'd live there if I gave the Oregon girl half a chance. Great scenic shots of the area in the show.
    One time there I'd ordered a car from Hertz and all they had when I got there was this little 5 speed Alfa Romeo. So cool on those narrow winding roads.

20. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I lived in England in the early-mid 70s and Cornwall was the first place I visited where I was actually aware of the beauty of a place. Loved it down there. Just looking at Google earth, I have no idea why more people don't live there.

21. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    The last time I tried to watch Arsenic and Old Lace, I gave up (I now know) just before it hit its stride. Outstanding farce.

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Huuuuuush..!

While you were on Google Earth I was on the National Trust. You probably know that they buy period cottages to save them from ruin, then rent them out. Doyden Castle (5th down) was featured in the last Doc Martin I saw.
    http://www.nationaltrustcottages.co...searchId=55b0cda4-5927-4073-a69f-3f1400db6289

23. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I got caught up in it too, a while back. You might also like Kingdom, if you haven't yet seen it.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Winter's Bone (2010)
    Dir. Debra Granik

[​IMG]

A very powerful piece of cinema. What carries the film is Jennifer Lawrence and the way in which she just nails the perfect tone for her character. What I found equally admirable is how the director managed to shy away from caricature in a movie filled with grim situations and (let us say) colorful characters. The night-time little boat-trip was one of the most gripping scenes I have seen recently. For the briefest of moments, the social drama morphed into something more akin to a thriller.

To shift the focus to Lawrence: is it snobbish to think it unfortunate that she has already been recycled by the Hollywood machine and cast in a money-machine like "The Hunger Games"? I would have loved to see her grow even further in the indie circuit. It has certainly been a while since I last saw a young actress give such a mature, aware and polished performance.

As a Belgian, the tone of the movie reminded me very much of the Dardennes, and most specifically "Rosetta". I cannot say how much - if any - influence the brothers were on Granik, but they are cinematic cousins nevertheless.

Bonnie Lass and Val1 repped this.
  25. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was checking the TV schedule to see what movies are on tonight and I saw this:

[​IMG]

Any good? I assume it's Stallone in a Asimov movie.

NER_MCFC repped this.