Last Movie Watched.... The Xenforo Edition

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Val1, May 4, 2012.

1. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Akira Kurosawa's King Lear

[​IMG]

dapip and Belgian guy repped this.
  2. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On my queue. I read the first chapter of Me & Shakespeare (was the author really an editor, that chapter was awfully pedantic), and he references this series as well. I'm sure I'll be giving it a go sometime this year.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    High on the list. I'm sure I'll watch several plays this year, but maybe it'll be too much Shakespeare. I don't even really know yet whether I like the guy. I've got Henry VI part 1, Henry VI part 2, and Henry VI part 3 looming very large right about now.
    Already seen this. Thanks for bringing it to mind...

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Van Damme. Making lives better every day.
    I strongly, strongly recommend the third series of The Arden Shakespeare. They have extensive notes and histories, the highest quality footnotes, and the best scholarship on combining folios, which is especially important with King Lear.

Val1 repped this.
  5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks. So far, most editions since the old Penguin classics of my youth, seem pretty good. I've liked the Royal Shakespeare Company editions and the Folger Library Classics. But this gives me another option.

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    If you need interlude's between actual Shakespeare movies, watch the Canadian "Slings and Arrows" for related comedic/dramatic relief

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was going to mention this, but I didn't want to pile on.

It's a series about a Canadian Shakespeare festival consisting of 3 seasons, with six 45 minute episodes per season, and it's great. The tone of the first episode, episode and a half, is a bit dark, but that's necessary to set up a major premise.

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On my queue..... Thanks:thumbsup:

9. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

About Time

I'm a sucker for time travel movies. I liked this movie a lot because it didn't try to be too much. It had it's normal time travel scenarios but didn't have the crazy over-the-top conflict that you see in most love stories. I really liked that the main love story wasn't really the central focus of the movie, that it was mainly about life, happiness, and relationships with everyone around you.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If it was about any relationship, it was the father-son relationship. :)

11. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, definitely. That was definitely the focal point. But it was about his sister, wife, friends, and mother as well. Just thought it was a well constructed movie that didn't overbear you with a single love story.

12. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Bad Words

Jason Bateman plays a 40 year old man that finds a loophole in the rules to enter a kid's spelling bee. I thought this movie was fun to watch. It wasn't the best movie ever, but it was funny and different. It's definitely worth a watch just for the relationship between Bateman's character and his 10 year old friend/biggest competition.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The secret life of Walter Mitty (2013)
    Dir. Ben Stiller

[​IMG]

Neither terrible nor particularly brilliant. It mostly made me curious about the earlier adaptation (with Danny Kaye in the Walter Mitty role). Random observations: Kristen Wiig is a wonderful commediene and I would be content to watch her in just about any type of movie. Sean Penn was actually very enjoyable in his role/cameo as the slightly contrarian, eccentric photographer. Perhaps because it was rather close to his own personality?

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You know, that it is a really really great poster.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One other thing that I just realized: Ben Stiller has played countless characters who are somehow malcontent with their lives. I wonder what it is that attracts him to those parts?

16. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Did he punch or kick himself?

Ismitje and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No. :D

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2843 dapip, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Elysium (2013):

The build up was interesting and exciting but the development and the finale were utterly crap. I think that they get some points for their depiction of the have and have-nots society breach althought it is very predictable and a little too political. The technology and special effects are visually stunning but that really doesn't enhance a poor story and a pathetic feel good finale.

[​IMG]
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011):

I was a fan of the original movies and waited with great expectations for the first remake, which turned out to be ubber crap. This second reload movie is a lot better than its predecesor and much more credible than any of the original series. I like the homage that they paid to the films from the 1970's with the names, the virus and the first word spoken by Caesar but the plot was in several ways superior to that of the original. And I hope they get to make another sequel.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ummmmm. Yeah. Seeings how my wife had never watched this movie, and how I knew I'd need to avert a bad case of the Mondays today...

[​IMG]

Office Space, D. Mike Judge, 1999.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Galaxy Quest, 1999. Haven't watched it since we saw it in the theaters. It is really, really funny. Damn fine movie. Most surprising of all was seeing the first film appearance -- as one of the aliens that recruits Tim Allen and the rest of his crew -- of an actor that went on to do some pretty good TV work on Six Feet Under and The Office

[​IMG]

Ismitje, bungadiri and spejic repped this.
  21. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They really really need to release an extended version of the movie with the deleted scenes finished and the swearing returned to the movie.

bungadiri and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks to one of the extras on the Blu-Ray, I now know that in the actual filmed version, Sigourney Weaver, before running through the smasher things with Tim Allen, pretty clearly says "******** This!!!" before they dubbed her saying "screw this."

Tony Shalhoub's playing a stoner is hilarious.

23. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The scene (deleted) where Shaloub leads the Termian crew into a Socratic solving of the dilemma is inspired. Great, great movie. One of our family faves.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love this move! love the premise.

luv the Enrico Colantoni character, Mathesar. his complete dejection at finding out the truth is a wonderful turn.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What most surprised me in the movie is that Tim Allen does some really good acting in that scene to make it work, which is not something I would've expected. I know a lot of people who didn't watch this movie because they didn't think he'd be any good.

I remember thinking, okay, great, maybe he won't be... but the previews made it very clear that you'd get plenty of Sigourney Weaver's cleavage, so where's the risk?

I remember in the theater being impressed with how good Tony Shalhoub is in this, too: this is before Monk, and pretty much all I'd seen him in up to that point was Wings, where he was okay, but he was basically to that show what Andy Kaufman was to Taxi, which didn't give much of an idea of what he could do.