Las Vegas is viable

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DANNO49, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've spent time in both places in the summer. Give me Orlando any day of the week. I never went into a swimming pool in Orlando that was 90 degrees!

2. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    LOL. When has it ever been 100 degrees and 100% humidity anywhere? You are the worst for simply making up crap.

When temps get up near 100, humidity is generally not very high. You can get humidity in the 80s and 90s, but almost never with high temps at the same time.

3. BlueIntent

BlueIntent Member

May 24, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Surely Las Vegas Strippers FC ought to be given a chance to prove themselves as a possible expansion?

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's FC Tuscon?
    Are the potential USLPro owners the same owners who own the new PDL team?

5. STGCaveman

STGCaveman Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Brigham City, UT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is that I'm 100% behind a USL PRO team if there is one and 100% behind the Mobsters. Much easier to Support a LV team 2 hours away whereas RSL is 4 hours.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  6. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say it with me now: This. Will. Never. Happen. This would be suicide for the league.
    I guess if football became illegal or something and every NFL and NCAA team ceased to exist, then maybe the league would have a chance operating during the peak of football season. Of course then the second half would have to compete with the NCAA tournament, plus the strong parts of the NBA and NHL seasons and their respective playoffs. Not to mention the NCAA's second highest attended championship (lacrosse) would also be occurring during that time. Still, removing football from the equation may be enough to make it feasible, but I doubt it.
    Let's not get started on the weather and the idea of a six-four week break...

7. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is here to stay and so is MLS, it really does not matter when the matches are played. Fans will support their clubs.

Cyclonis repped this.
  8. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, a large part of what makes growth possible is the lack of competition and climate. How would moving to a fall/spring schedule benefit Columbus, North East clubs or Canadian clubs in attracting fans? Competing directly with the biggest leagues in our country would be suicide when as it is we're lucky to get 100k watching matches.

athletics68 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USL Pro people are NOT the same people starting the PDL team. Has the person who said you can't have high temps and humidity at the same time ever been to Texass in summer?

10. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BYU vs Utah in Salt Lake City this year and RSL sells out a match same day same time same town. MLS is here to stay.

11. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although some people have suggested a winter-spring schedule it wouldn't work. American football rules that period. BTW the USL meeting with the city went fantastic

12. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot the 51's play in the summer outdoors

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That proves nothing but RSL have a good fan base. We aren't worried about them, we're worried about the ones who actually do have significant competition and who struggle to attract fans with good weather conditions, who in those winter months have very bad conditions. MLS fan bases whilst improving are still pretty casual in general, there are some hardcore fans that would brave those conditions but many wont. Also having a full stadium is nice but that's not how the league will grow. If the league is going to grow it would be via TV ratings which lead to more lucrative TV contracts, having start times competing with the most popular sports in the country is suicide. Nobody has been able to give me a solid case for why it's necessary to move to a fall-to-spring schedule.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  14. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.
    I think it's fairly safe to assume that everybody here more or less feels that "soccer is here to stay." I know I'm not disagreeing with that point. I just do not see the logic in moving to a schedule that is less conducive to attracting fans due to increased competition from older, more established leagues and extremely bad weather.

15. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other countries play soccer spring-fall. The Scandinavian countries for example . Because of the weather.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  16. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course if Las Vegas gets an indoor stadium I would be in favor of holding the MLS All Star game there every year

patilluky repped this.
  17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Polemarch

Polemarch Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I want to see one for Chernobyl.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happens in Vegas... ...Unless the topical is ineffective, I guess

athletics68 repped this.
  22. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the last six weeks there have been several articles in the Vegas papers about the UNLV stadium

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh... anything about MLS or soccer at all? Otherwise, whats the point of bringing it up? Is this the UNLV Rebels college football thread?

24. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll only support the stadium if professional soccer is one of the reasons it's being built. Otherwise, UNLV shouldn't be allowed to have nice things.

25. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Channel 8 in Las Vegas is reporting they are doing a fresability study. To see what is best stadium. Outdoor, Domed, or retractable roof