Larentowicz

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Count Chocula, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Don't put that bag away just yet. One of his nicknames . . .

Ginja Ninja

2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we get a translator for this "y'all" stuff. We don't speak that around here.

3. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll use it in its proper sentence for you: Y'all mutha********as be postin in a troll thread.

4. Y i S

Y i S New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Wow, you guys must really hate the Rapids...or goggles...
    It can't be ginger-bashing, kicking things hard (legs & balls...and balls), or the completely unwarranted "cz" name thing, because I know you're all y'all're way into that kinda stuff..
    It must be the pickles...
    You know, if you cut them with that wavy-cutty thing - like waffle fries but without the cross sectioning - that allows more surface area for the aroma of the spices used in pickling to come out... Pickles are way more flavorful that way. You should try it! It's way better than those wilty spears you normally get...plus they stay on your hamburger really well when they're flat!
    I like hamburgers.. Did I ever tell you about the time I ate a hamburger?
    It was awesome.

Rulas repped this.
  5. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eyeZ mezmoriz3D bye Da c0loRz.

BTW if the post above you is who I think it is... Sock troll for fun.

7. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely hated the guy when he was with New England, but since his move to the Rapids, I've realized that was more of a rivalry thing than anything else. There are certain players from those New England teams I'd never want to see play for the Fire, but it turns out Larentowicz isn't one of them.

With the increasing likelihood of Pardo retiring, this move makes sense. I still don't have much of a clue as to what Klopas is going to do with the midfield this year. You'd think Lindpere has to start, most likely in the center (I don't think Klopas will make the mistake of playing him out of position like NY did), and Larentowicz is probably a starter as well. Unless we hear of a change in captaincy, though (and I don't really expect to), Pause will be in the lineup too.

8. Tihane

Tihane New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Lindpere was still "good enough" for NYRB, just their salary cap issues (by hoarding DP-s) asked for changes. Besides Lindpere was unhappy of not being played in the middle, but on the wing. Lindpere played almost all games last season and was one of the top 3 contributors to assists/goals for the team.

9. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Getting Lindpere was an absolute steal. The red bulls were a MUCH better team with him in the lineup last season.

10. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Pardo is going to retire, and Ginger will replace him in the 2nd DM position with Lindpere playing the 3rd DM position.

bunge repped this.
  11. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Maybe like this?

[​IMG]

12. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yep
    But man I wish Rolfe could be a second striker.

13. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lineup. A great lineup would be to bench pause and finally get a striker who can score big and consistently.

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
  15. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1. because Alex hasnt shown alot that warrants him to be a starting winger .Dont get me wrong, I think he has some potential, but I think that would be a major weakness in the lineup

2. that lineup doesnt play up the strengths of the personel that Frank has built up.The middle of the park in the lineup snkscore posted above is a physically imposing , and very countering line.One that should physically impose their will on opposing midfields.

3.The above lineup ties our defenders and Larentowicz into staying at home.. and is actually MORE defensive then the lineup posted above.

4. Larentowicz scored 5 goals last season with Colorado in a system less suited for his play.I dont know if he'll double that, but my hunch is that we will see a dramatic increase in the goals from the players in the center of the midfield.

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    He would be one of the weak points, but is putting the player who we are basically expecting to be our top scorer out on the wing a good idea? I doubt it. Also, I think if he got consistent minutes he would start to look really good. I always thought he looked better when he played wide compared to centrally

I think the only place it doesn't play is in the center, where we have stockpiled one two many CMs for our own good. On the other hand, it fixes the Rolfe problem, so pick your poison

How? I don't see that. We have one of the best CB pairings, a great keeper, and whoever is starting at the more d-mi spot, yes would have to play more as a ball-winner than a box to box. That is a solid defensive core. That allows plenty for Lindpere and the FBs to go forward, as long as they are disciplined about it. Coordinated runs wasn't one of the Fire's strong points last season, but that was a flaw that needs to be fixed no matter what.

Maybe. I'll be honest, I don't know much about Larentowicz, I didn't get to see many Western games last season. He would be tied down in this system more than in a double pivot, but I think the space it frees up to put Rolfe up top is more than worth it. Larentowicz might double his total and get 10, but if we put Rolfe at least close to the center of the park where he belongs, he bags 20. easily

17. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Woah, woah, woah, woah. All the usual suspects wanted to run Denis out of town for playing Rolfe as a wide midfielder, even though he really has NEVER been a forward and we had Blanco in the middle. Now, people are content with him playing wide . . . and on the left?

nowherenova repped this.
  18. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I'd hate it.

19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In my mind it came down to which is Frank more willing to do? Sit Captain backpass and play Alex out wide or put Rolfe on the wing. From past experience, I'd say he's going to put Rolfe on the wing. I don't like it, but unless we pick up a new outside mid, I bet it's what's going to happen.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    But if he picks up a new outside mid, where does Rolfe play at all? I really think this year we will see the end of the double d-mids. Or at worst, we will see Lindpere used as a quasi-d-mid/box-to-box.

Rolfe on the wing makes no sense. It doesn't make sense from a positional standpoint, but it especially makes no sense from a tactical standpoint. Rolfe is who we are counting on for goals. You don't put your main goal threat away from the goal. Even Frank isn't that dumb

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Four "Woahs"? Are you trying to be Fonzie or Joey Lawrence from "Blossom"? Please give the endless Denis-defending a rest. Trying to play Rolfe in midfield is just ONE (and very minor one at that) of the reasons that people wanted Denis to not be the coach of the Fire.
    The main reason was that Denis was not a very good head coach. A good assistant coach, a long standing Fire mainstay, but he was simply not a very good head coach.

And now you are claiming of Rolfe that "he really has NEVER been a forward".
    This is true, except for the fact that it is totally false.

Yes, he will play in midfield at times, every good player should be able to switch back and forth as the situation demands. One of the great things about the great early Fire teams was that the players were not locked into positions.

However, you seem to be the only person who fails to see that Rolfe is primarily a forward. To claim he has NEVER been a forward is patently ridiculous.

Here is a quote from Frank Klopas about where he wants Chris Rolfe to play:
    http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2012/04/rolfe-back-town-plans-play-top-fire

Quote:
    As for where he’ll play, there’s little debate. The Fire offense has struggled out of the gate this season, leaving head coach Frank Klopas to turn back the clock a bit and slot Rolfe right where he’s needed to give the Fire a boost.
    “Up top,” Klopas said. “He’s a forward, that’s where he’s going to play.”

I have yet to see any quote from Rolfe saying he would not want to play forward. If they are out there, please let me know. I am happy to admit I am wrong, but I have not seen any indication that Rolfe considers himself a midfielder.

My guess is that he would play where ever he will help the team. If we play with a two-forward set up, Rolfe should be one of the forwards (unless we get two that are better than him). If we play with a one-forward set up (which we should not), Rolfe plays out wide to help the team.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think you are right. At least, I hope that you are right.

23. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Perhaps the end of the two DM's? Or maybe Frank thinks Lindpere is a DM? :sick:

24. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope it ends up more like this:

-----Rolfe------Mack-----
    ---------Lindpere---------
    Alex(New Euro)---Nyarko
    --------Larentowicz------
    ----The usual Back 4----

I read somewhere (too lazy to find a quote) that Frank was looking at a Euro-based midfielder. Hopefully he plays outside if we do sign him and he is an upgrade over Alex. I like Alex as a super sub.

PS: I know I used that formation-maker in the past, but can't for the life of me remember how.

firefan2001 repped this.
  25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless we get a big time scorer, the above lineup no matter how you juggle it, won't win anything.