Larentowicz

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Count Chocula, Jan 16, 2013.

1. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good player but my question is why? He plays CDM correct? We have Pause and Pardo there, I'm not saying he's worse but we already have depth there. If we got rid of one of those 2 I'd like it but we need another good striker and Larentowicz costs us $200k and so we only free up what $150k so we won't go out and replace the DP we just got rid of. I'm guessing this moves Rolfe up top with Macdonald.

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I posted on this over on HTIOT. I feel like ass, so I'm gonna punk out and just copy/paste it here:
    One of the really tricky things facing the Fire this season is managing the end of Pardo’s career with class and tact. His performances toward the tail end of last season make it clear that the Mexican great is not going to be an everyday player in 2013 – coming off of injury into a team that desperately needed him, Pavel looked a full step and half a thought slower than the guy who joined the team in 2011.
    Problem is, when we go to a double pivot of Paladini/Pause it’s obvious to everyone in the building we’re missing Pardo. Our cover isn’t as good; both guys in the double pivot tend to release the ball slowly, so countering is mooted; and the additive factor of having Pardo’s mind directing pairs of younger legs is missed by the team in a half-dozen ways.
    So is this the end of the double pivot? So much of the anti-Pause fervor on certain message boards has dwelled upon his need for a partner in the pivot to really do the job owing to his hesitant distribution. Pardo also needs a partner in the engine room, although more for stamina and pace issues than any technical shortcoming. Big Red can certainly man that position alone as a pure destroyer if that’s what Frank wants, so at least the anti-Pause brigade will have a new verse in their song this year.
    I doubt it means we’re going 4-4-2 or anything, though. The double pivot isn’t only popular because you can play two lesser d-mids together successfully – it’s popular because it releases the fullbacks from some responsibility when they burst forward. In a double pivot, the ballside d-mid tracks onto the wing when a fullback gets into attack, and can do so without leaving a mammoth opening in the pocket for a playmaker to step into.
    In other words, it’s not caution that dictates the tactic – it’s attack. If you want your fullbacks to get forward, the double pivot makes it a simple thing: One guy goes forward, another guy sees it and steps into the space to slow a potential counter. Without that surety, you’re counting on three or four guys to see the run by the fullback and move to protect it – the whole backline slides a little ballside, the d-mid splits the difference between the pocket and the wing.
    Now, with the offensive skills our fullbacks exhibit, it’s reasonable to ask whether we might get better coverage and better wide play by asking them to play more like Stoke and less like Barcelona. In that case, with stay-at-home fullbacks only dartingly pushing into attack and as quickly retreating, we could probably get away with solo Big Red in the pivot.
    Anyway, tricky times for Frank, as ever, as always. Here’s hoping.

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Has this asshole ever played fullback?

5. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it bother anyone that we are getting guys in lindpere and larentowicz that other teams thought were not good enough anymore to play for them? I know we didn't give up much but still.Shouldn't we be going out and finding better players?

6. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got that international spot back lol

NM read it wrong

7. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mentioned in the other thread that he brings a dangerous freekick but I'm going to have to try and get over the fact that he once played for the anal gland rubber lotion. I actually expected your exact reaction. I'm sure a lot of others feel exactly the same way. Truth be told though we're a lot stronger with him as part of the lineup.

Oh and ******** RUIZ!

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, talk about about a turd to cap off a day that was nothing but a big bowl diarrhea

Saeyddthe and bunge repped this.
  9. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To those who don't like the deal: I think y'all are wrong on this one, and I further think that y'all will admit it before July. Book it.

Osgood1978 repped this.
  10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what if we think it won't hurt, but won't help?

11. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Maybe it'll be like an unnecessary appendectomy.

12. N1ckels5

N1ckels5 Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Who cares who he used to play for. He wanted to come here to play over other places, isnt the bottom line to win games? He will help us do that he makes us a better team and thats all that matters I am 100 percent behind this move.

13. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    You guys are cracked. This is a 'Chicago' kind of player. So much more to offer in terms of effort and athleticism compared to El Flaccid (yes I know they don't play the same spot). We've added quality and dumped garbage. On to the draft.

goldclover and chiladd repped this.
  14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if he is or isn't a "Chicago" kind of player. I'm tired of the Fire being mediocre. I don't see him changing that, especially when he gets sent off a couple of times a season.

15. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Did someone say red card?

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I mean, dislike him if you want, but he's been sent off only twice in 207 games according to the stats I'm looking at...Thats barely a higher average than Pause's 2 in 259, and a heck of a lot better than Pardo's 1 in 41

17. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I like the pick up but must admit...it seems we have some depth here that is almost..too much (yes dares to say it but fears the curse of injury now). I suspect something more is in the works regarding the cdm's (losing one) and another striker or perhaps left wing or good cb depth is in the works. Maybe that is some wishful thinking but at least the Fire have done something more then a draft choice this off season. I am overly pleased this winter. Trimmed lessers (though I personally will miss Gargan) and picked up some decent pieces even if not overly a Big Deal (misses Blanco still). Maybe one or two more things will make things interesting even more.

18. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm impressed by two "y'alls" used in the same sentence by someone from Flint, Michigan.
    From when I've seen Laurentowicz, he looks like a solid d-mid. Would have been a good pick up for FC Dallas instead of 33 yo Frenchman Peter Luccin who has barely played in the last year.
    A good MLS player, but possibly a bad fit for Fire.

19. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Well his last name is a perfect fit. :thumbsup:

20. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does this mean no one looks good to us in the draft?

21. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently

22. YeOldeCoach

YeOldeCoach Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    To me it says that the player we were hoping to get disappeared earlier so this was a better option than anyone else that was on the board at this point. We have the 30th pick I think and, IIRC, Rolfe was picked 29th so all is not lost. I'm not sure there is a lot of difference in players once you get past the first five or so. Jeff is a hard-nosed player and while I never enjoyed when we played against him, I certainly will feel better with him on our side than on someone else's.

23. ionprovisioner

Nov 23, 2003
    Flint, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in Texas for five years, and (once there) found the utility of an actual second-person plural pronoun to be considerable.

nowherenova and Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Second person plural is, of course, "all y'all".

ionprovisioner and nowherenova repped this.