Landon of Donovan Rental

Discussion in 'Everton' started by redcomet, Dec 15, 2011.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!

2. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Gwladys Street

Gwladys Street New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah right, didn't know that about the divorce. :)

4. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    When did Everton become a pre season training camp for overrated American players? Would rather have signed no one than this fella

5. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet, talking about the match yesterday against Sunderland, you said:

Poor performance today as we were too defensive against a awful Sunderland side, Heitinga and Neville simply cant play together in the middle of the park as got overrun.
    They got a lucky deflected goal, we got a dubious pen. All in all a fair result but we should be beating the likes of these

So, suggestions for improvement? Given the lack of funds at Moyes' disposal, it seems that the Donovan loan is good idea - he had a good loan spell with Everton previously, he still has speed and an aggressive attitude towards scoring - isn't that what you seem to be wishing for in the other thread? Love to hear your thoughts - thx

6. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    Normally I would think that playing Landy on the left and Drenthe on the right would be an improvement. But they don't have any strikers who want to get in the box to get on the end of crosses. Maybe playing Donovan behind Saha as a second striker would force Saha up and create more opportunities.

At least Donovan has an aggressive mindset which is lacking at the moment, except for Drenthe and Osman.

7. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Unlike some i thought he flattered to decieve in his previous loan here. Whats known as a Match of the Day player, (ie looks great on a highlights package but what you see is normally what he has done for the whole game).
    Is he better than the useless Coleman, hell yes but he is massively overrated by american fans and some toffee fans. Also as i said previously using the club as a pre season training camp doesnt sit pretty with me at all, were Everton not Wolves.
    As for other options we have plenty but he wont use them, Velios should be starting, Bilya could be used in the Cahill role, Barkley should be getting mins, Gueye has looked promising

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have some fair points - LD has been occasionally criticized (even by American fans) for "disappearing" on the field, not being involved as he should be. At the same time, he's not supposed to be a savior - there is no single player that is (well, except maybe for Messi, but that's a whole different argument.) He does bring speed and creativity to the field and, when employed properly, can change the dynamics of a game - and based on what I'm seeing from the club, it's sorely needed. I've not seen enough of the other players you've mentioned to pass any kind of judgement about them.

If he (Donovan) has to take an entire team on his shoulders, he'll wilt. He's not a central middy - can't take the hits nor is he truly a "box to box" midfielder. But if he gets played wide from the midfield or gets to play as a withdrawn striker, he'll be at his best and bring a dimension that Everton needs. I think Moyes used him well the last time, and hope for similar results this time.

I do understand the perception of the club being used as a "training ground" - at the same time, I don't see it that way. I think that Moyes is looking around for his best options to improve the club for it's annual leap from the bottom half to the top half (or lower-mid to upper-mid). I do not think this would be happening unless the club truly believed there is value to the club in this exchange. What I expect out of a manager is that he use every legal and ethical tool at his disposal to help the club perform.

With the wave of Americans coming over for training stints in Europe while between MLS seasons, I think it's recognition of a couple of facts:
    (1) Our players are improving, but clearly need consistent and stronger competition to continue to improve - and that competition is best found in Europe.
    (2) Because players are improving, it makes sense for European clubs to get a good look at some of these players to see if they warrant consideration as future transfer targets (i.e. Brek Shea, Time Ream, Juan Agudelo). Some of these guys might make it, many will not - but if you don't look at them, you won't ever know.

And that's enough blattering on by me.

9. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Of course Moyes thinks its a good deal for the club, it goes without saying but then he also feels Coleman is a premiership starter for a top side and Neville deserves the honour of being Everton captain so i take each deal on its merits and not because Moyes says so.
    I think it will be a very long time if ever before an American national is the star of any prem side. Their even resorting to bringing in South American nationals now and passing them off as Yanks after a few years.

10. Gwladys Street

Dec 17, 2011
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clint Dempsey is one of Fulham's best players.

11. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Decent player but hardly a star is he?

Johnson, Zamora, Murphy all better players

12. Gwladys Street

Dec 17, 2011
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All Johnson contributes is goal and Zamora isn't as good as he used to be. As for Murphy well I don't rate him. I think Dempsey offers more than goals and has picked Fulham up on many occasions and scored crucial goals. Out of the four players Dempsey is the only one I'd have in the Everton team.

13. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As others have noted Dempsey is not doing badly for his club and I don't think you'd be complaining if his six goals so far this season had been scored for the Blues. I'm not worried about any of them being a star - but rather earning the right to play consistently at the top level. And they are getting there (unless you forgot Tim Howard, as well).

And what is this "Their [sic] even resorting to bringing in South American nationals now and passing them off as Yanks after a few years."? Who are you talking about?

14. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Wouldnt have him anywere near the team, he isnt good enough. As for your Johnson comment, its just bizarre. Its like saying all Howard does is save goals, its kinda Johnson's job to score goals!

15. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Havent forgot Howard at all, he emphasises my point to be honest. Decent player but isnt in the top 5 keepers in the prem.
    The last bit is self explanatory, the MLS are bringing young S.Americans, training them up and giving them US nationality

16. redcomet

redcomet Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    You honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Name one South American the US "raised".

US Players that have been or are Prem star players

Dempsey (You need to get your eyes checked if you think Zamora or Murphy are better than him)
    McBride
    Freidel
    Holden

17. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re Howard, I think we'll take the 5th best GAA stat for the EPL along with the best PK save percentage of any keeprs who have faced a PK yet this year - who else would you rather have? So, I can easily rank him in the top 5 keepers in the prem.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/epl/player_leaders.asp?category=102

Many countries, including England, use FIFA's definitions for citizenship and inclusion in their national teams. In the US, similar to England, they don't get US nationality unless they meet the same criteria. So, stating that the "MLS is bringing in young S. Americans, training them up and giving them US nationality" is a bit of a straw-man argument - besides, you stated that the US players weren't up to snuff, anyway - so what's your worry?

Come up with some facts not just unfounded assertions.

18. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Your obvious bias discredits any of your observations.

Dempsey is far and away a star in the EPL. Accept it, it doesn't mean the Yanks are taking over. :cool:

19. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I have no idea what a GAA is, i assume Pk is penalty kick?

Top 5 in no order, Cech, Reina, Hart, Foster, Given

Calling a Brazillian a Yank doesnt make him a Yank, it makes him a Brazillian with a dual passport. If any of the young lads do make it i certainly wont treat them as americans.
    In such a vast nation there isnt 1 player 'starring' out of the MLS, says alot

20. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    It's apparent this cheery bloke will never rate any American so why bother to discuss with him. Maybe he is just trying to tweak your strings or maybe not, but I wouldn't waste the effort. It's puzzling why he joined an American soccer forum.

21. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Its a footy forum aimed to discuss footy. If someone comes up with a arguement to a good american player i will happily discuss it with you. Is there any of my points you can prove wrong? No didnt think so

22. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Who the *bleep* is Holden?
    Zamora is a class player who is just currently off the boil at the moment, he would certainly improve Everton. Friedel i will give you but he is like 40 now isnt he?

23. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Dempsey is a decent player, he isnt a star and wouldnt get in the top 20 great PL players

24. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still waiting for a point supported by facts, informed opinion or most anything besides your condescending subjective assertions.

25. HalewoodToffee

HalewoodToffee Red Card

Dec 27, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Which bit dont you agree that is either a fact or informed opinion?