Landon Donovan: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by SoccerKowboy, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    I'm not sure your analogy works here since Juventus was formed before Torino, won a championship before them and more importantly has won more titles than any other team in Italy. They are by far the most successful team in Italian football. If history were everything Juventus would be the best team in Italy right now.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    "When hell freezes over" would be a pretty bizarre response to the question of whether Liverpool had expressed any interest in him, assuming that they had.

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ah, I misremembered the question. I thought it was whether or not the following clubs were realistic options or not.

4. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what if LD wants to go to Europe(top league, top club) & Everton aren't able to pony up any sort of transfer fee? Should LD just stay with MLS & the LA Galaxy?

5. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    Liverpool have been constantly one of the elite clubs of the English top divison for almost 50 years and they're also one of the best supported teams in English football. It'd take a lot to alter their status.

As for Donovan, shouldn't worry about what the Everton faithful think, leave sentimentality for the fans.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FYI, their is a big rumor that Mascherano is going to Barcelona for £12 million and Aleks Hleb

if that happens, then this Liverpool talk is dead

7. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why? he wasn't going to play anyway... might as well get money and a player for him

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was talking about Hleb to Liverpool

Landon and Hleb would take up similar positons

9. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    and hleb and cole as well. like cole, i think hleb's best position is in the center.

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Meh. Donovan is better than the current Hleb.

11. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, who's excited for Rafa vs. LD tomorrow? I know I am.

Here's what Rafa said about him today on the MLS website:

“Great player,” Márquez said of Donovan. “People love him here in the United States. I have a lot of respect for him.”

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Two legends going at it.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    that's cool, but what Hleb provides Liverpool needs (hold up play in possession, movement, technical ability, creativity) more than Landon's skillset

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    ...just before the flying headbutt.

15. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe - Maybe not. Regardless of what Garber and he LA Galaxy say If an offer is made Landon would have the final say if the teams were in agreement , if Landon did not want to play for said team with the best offer,assuming ti's not Everton, Landon could veto the move. Like wise if Everon makes a reasonable ofer that is in range of other offers and he wants to go then he 's gone. In other words Landon can go to Everton or stay in LA, that's his leverage. The leverage the league has is to point out that he is the drawing feature, whle it's true he is a big draw, it doesn't out way the transfer fee he could get even from Everton. The recent DP's more than make up for the loss of Landon.

16. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been thinking a lot about Rafa lately, since I support both the Red Bulls and the USMNT. I felt conflicted about it for about 5 seconds. We all know that the US plays as hard as the Mexicans in the games that matter. I'm sure Mexican fans could dig up nasty shit that we've done over the years.

But Rafa's a competitor, and I respect that. It's also interesting to see that he respects LD. He probably never would have said it if he hadn't oined MLS.

In any case, I'm not sure why the media hasn't picked up on this fascinating subplot to the NY/LA matchup. You have the US and Mexico personfied in these two captains. Should be great.

17. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing wrong with leaving it all out on the field and sometimes going into tackles a little harder than whats called for, especially when games get as intense as USA Mexico games often do.

However, what Marquez did was something very different. They had been beaten by a better team and I understand the frustration, especially at that time when they were definitely favorites against us. He went in clearly with the intention of seriously hurting Cobi, there is literally no way you can argue he was trying to get the ball and it was one of the most blatantly dirty challenges I've ever seen. Personally I think it was absolutely shameful. If it was a USA player who did it I would expect him to be removed from consideration for a good long while and told that if it ever happens again he'd be indefinitely suspended, challenges like that have absolutely no place in the game and could have ended Cobi's career.

Anyways I can understand if you're a bit more forgiving than I am and its not my place to tell other supporters who they should or shouldn't cheer for but personally there is no circumstances in which i would ever cheer for Marquez.

18. gimmedatgoal

gimmedatgoal Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It's hard to argue that it was a rash or in the heat of the moment kind of thing. It most certainly seemed premeditated. Basically, the guy is trash.

19. USfootballer89

Mar 6, 2008
    new orleans
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton could have used LD today!!!

20. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Massively.

We were quite obviously lacking out right today, and he would of made a big difference. We totally ran out of ideas and had no clue on how to break them down once they went ahead.

Maybe, just maybe, this result would be able to show Moyes what we are missing there.

Yakubu and Yobo probably look set to be going out the door. Maybe some money will be available soon...

21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If it doesn't happen before the end of the transfer window, don't rule out a move this winter, which I've thought is more likely anyway.

The Galaxy want to keep their potential championship team together for the end of the season, particularly if Adu signs and Beckham gets back into shape. And MLS wants to ride at least a couple of months of post-WC interest being able to tout Donovan alongside the league's other big names like Henry and Marquez and Ljungberg and Beckham and such.

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No expect a transfer this winter. MLS wants him for the playoffs

23. OCKlinsmann

OCKlinsmann Member

Feb 6, 2006
    Newport Beach, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Money Issue: Whether the ultimate transfer fee is 7, 10, 12, or 15 million it would be offset by a not insignificant amount in Shirt Sales in the USA which is an untapped Kit market for every EPL team.

24. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Landon is staying with the Galaxy barring a late coup attempt by Manchester City.

25. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    They currently have 38 players in their squad with the signing of Balotelli, should they complete the Milner deal this week, that would take it to 39.

With the 25 man squad rule, unless they start selling, they are going to be stuck with 14 players sat twiddling their thumbs til January minimum, what does that do for team morale and also, I think it suggests any incoming players is unlikely unless they are absolutely certain to get in the 25.