Landon Donovan: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by SoccerKowboy, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, I don't think so. They wouldn't like it but they don't like ANY even halfway decent players signing for 'pool. The fact that Donovan was loaned to them for a couple of months last year won't make a fat lot of difference.

Having said that I'll be surprised if it happens, tbh. Him signing for Liverpol I mean.

2. mschlatt

mschlatt New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the last 2-3 pages of speculation that he is going to liverpool based upon his "no comment" on the DP show? Is there more? bs never ceases to amaze me....now back to the freddy adu thread.

3. El Michael

El Michael Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I can see Everton fans dis-owning Landon if he were to go to L-pool. No different than when Johnny Damon went from the Redsox to the Yankees. In both cases it didn't matter what the reasons were right, worng or indifferent. Damon could have gone anywhere in the world no redsox fan would have been upset except for NY.

It speaks to the passion of the teams fans. I think Everton fans would be OK with Landon going anywhere but Liverpool and I totally get that as a redsox fan.

4. ussoccerFan12358

Mar 11, 2006
    Central NY
    On the flipside, how accepting would th Liverpool faithful be? As a Yankee's fan I was far from thrilled when Johnny Damon came on board. He won me over in time, but I don't think for a second that I'm as prickly as a scouser.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    This is true - I mean, I don't even know you, but I hate you because you're a sooner (presumably).

6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    the real question is, how is their speed situation?

'Pool have no one to stretch a defense. They have no quality strikers if Torres is out.

Hodgs is going to have them playing boring football until they learn his system, then he can open it up again, but without speed and better finishing, I don't see that he has the horses to open it up any time soon.

7. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol I couldn't believe it either. He did the same thing to Manchester United.

Everton fans would be rightfully pissed about a Liverpool move. There isn't much conversation there.

8. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Are there any Toffee Quakes fans among us? If... IF Donovan signs for Liverpool, please put these people on suicide watch and /or armed guard at once.

9. djedi

djedi New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Agreed. They're frustrated they don't have the money for LD, and they want him back. But they realize he's clearly publicly stated on many occasions that Everton is where he wants to go. If the club doesn't/can't submit an offer, they'll (relatively speaking) understand.

EXCEPT if he went THERE.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I guess you are a newbie to soccer. Liverpool is a classic, traditional power of European soccer. Arsenal and Chelsea are the new hot clubs. Liverpool has ALWAYS been one of the top teams.

11. Donofan_10

Donofan_10 Red Card

Aug 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone knows that. But if history were everything, Torino would be better than Juventus right now. Things change. Liverpool will always be NEAR the top, but they simply won't be able to win as many titles as they have before, and we're already seeing that.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't really change what he said. Liverpool can still drop behind a couple of the new powers, regardless of their history. And the team can also fall into relative obscurity in the modern era if that slip happens for long enough. Nottingham Forest used to be a power as well.

13. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a bit of an extreme comparison. Forest figured into European soccer due to the genius of one man, Brian Clough. Outside of his reign, Forest saw very little glory even in England (just two FA cups, no top-tier league championships, nothing even close to European glory).

I suppose people always point to Leeds, and Liverpool may be going down a similar path to financial ruin. But their current talent level is pretty decent.

14. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where has this thread gone? Plus we are at #1225, time for a new one?

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Liverpool have a world wide "brand" that clubs like Leeds and Forest simply don't have. That "brand" guarantees revenue streams that the aforementioned clubs could only dream of.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They have Torres, Kuijt, Babel, N'Gog and Jovanovic, who all have decent to very good speed.

Of course, a lot will depend on who stays, who goes and what system Roy will have.

Traditionally, he's a 4-4-2 guy.

17. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would be pissed. Understandably, yes. Rightfully, no.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "brand" only lasts for as long as the team is seen as relevant. There is a reason that already huge companies spend millions and millions of dollars every year on their branding to keep it in the public eye. And that reason is that they know if the brand wanes, it is harder to get it back than to keep it in the first place. Liverpool has revenue streams now that others don't have but they are not guaranteed in perpetuity just because of amazing successes 30 years ago. Fans are fickle. Look at how many "fans" of Manchester United we have now. How do you think their fan base looked 30 years ago? Fans go to winners. And if clubs like City and Tottenham begin outperforming Liverpool regularly (in addition to the other aforementioned ones that already are), their star and branding will fade. That's life.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The Sheffield clubs are a better example of old teams that can slide into obscurity. (not as good as Torpedo Moscow, obviously)

That said, 'Pool has too high a revenue to do likewise.

Should it begin a downward slide, there'll be plenty of buyers perfectly willing to return it to its old glory.

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, but having a historic brand like Liverpool makes it a hell of a lot easier for a soccer team to stay relevant and competitive. Spurs and City still have a long way to get to where Liverpool is (at least from a brand/franchise value perspective).

21. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    Did you mean Man City and Chelsea?

Arsenal have been in the top division in English soccer for longer than anyone (more than 90 years now), have won and appeared in the second most FA Cup finals (one win behind Man U), and have won the third most top division titles (13, behind Man U and Liverpool; outside of Everton, who is next, nobody else has won more than four in the past two centuries; those clubs are well in front of everyone else the past 110 or so years)

Before the CL and Premier League money came around, they had some lean periods like anyone else, but to suggest their success is new is simply incorrect.

//

And to those suggesting Liverpool could slip through any means other than catastrophic financial distress, that's also off; they have one of the better and more loyal fanbases in the world.

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    IF you watched the WC, you saw the maturation (read the slowing down of Dyrk K). He has clearly lost many steps. Babel cant get playing time on teh dutch team and couldnt get it for 3 years under Benitez. N'Gog is not very good and they are trying to loan him for the year. Jovanovic does not a CL team make.

Torres is well injured.

They have no speed. Hodgs 4-4-2 will negate the need for speed of course, but he needs pace somewhere on the field to change the complexion of certain matches if he is going to compete with a powerful chelsea, a fast and powerful man U, and a lighting speed Arsenal.

Right now, this Liverpool team is not scaring Bolton much less the top teams.

23. DuckYank

DuckYank New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Oregon
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because Stuart Holden plays for Bolton. :D

24. robdawgie

robdawgie Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, rightfully. They welcomed him with open arms when practically no one else would. If he went to Liverpool it's smacking the only people outside of America who believed in him right in the face.

It'd show a major character flaw if he even thought about it. I think he's "posturing" as well, maybe.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    True, but in fairness all he'd said was "I don't know." We can take that to mean anything, and apparently we have. I know to an Everton supporter he's supposed to say "When hell freezes over," though.