Landon Donovan: U.S. Expects to Advance Out Of World Cup ‘Group of Death’

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by G Enriquez, Jan 24, 2014.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So in short, here is how Donovan sees this group

[​IMG]

esco300, orcrist, Skevin and 10 others repped this.
  3. bye_urn

bye_urn Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you expect him to say anything different?

tab5g and owian repped this.
  4. CBWizard

CBWizard Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    I think we can, I mean we beat the best Portugal team in history back in 2002 and this Portugal's team is nothing as dangerous as their 2000-2006 team. Honestly Ghana scares me more than Portugal, hopefully we do not lose to them at least.

Arlington-MA repped this.
  5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grudge match against Ghana - 3 points.

Germany beats Portugal.

Play our hearts and lungs out against Portugal - 1 point.

Germany beats Ghana.

Lose to Germany.

Ghana ties Portugal.

Germany - 9
    USA - 4
    Portugal - 2
    Ghana - 1

It will be insanely hard, but it can be done.

Wessoman, esco300 and jackiesdad repped this.
  6. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Donovan is right that this is a confident, experienced group. I don't expect them to be overawed by the occasion and they will have the patience and maturity to execute. But the team is badly outmatched man-for-man by Portugal and Germany, while Ghana is still a very strong team. I feel much more pessimistic than Landon as a result.

7. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The math is in our favor.

We will be fine.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Even if Portugal won, it would come down to the coin-flip tiebreakers, and I could see us coming out of those, because I don't see Portugal slaughtering people.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need Germany to hammer Portugal in the opener.

And although Ghana has beaten us twice, we've been right with them both times. The first time, we lost on a bogus PK call (after gifting them the first goal). The second time, the game was a tie over 90 minutes. We can hang with them, I feel.

esco300 and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I don't like the part where anyone assumes the US will lose to Germany.

There certainly are scenarios where the US could "back into" the second round with a loss to Germany on June 26. But I suspect the US will go into each game of the group focused on getting a (very) positive result -- and the US will very likely need some good/great result in 2 of their games, although I certainly don't know which 2 of the 3 (or crazily 3 of the 3) will be those group stage matches in which the US does achieve those results that collectively push them through to the knock-out rounds.

Wessoman repped this.
  11. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more of those three teams, Germany is the most likely one we would lose to. Granted that's also ignoring context, such as Germany already having won the group by then and maybe not playing as hard as they could (or even resting up key players for the knockout stages).

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Absolutely.

There are (very likely) going to be some (surprising) "upsets" in a few or many matches at the WC -- and no one knows if any of those "upsets" (or surprising results) will occur in group G.

I tend to see it as a very balanced group G and do not envision the eventual group-winner finishing with a full 9 points. Nor do I think the 4th-place finisher in the group being limited to only 1 or zero points from the group stage.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    #13 Marko72, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    I see group G as one with one of the primary title contenders, followed by 3 strong and fairly evenly-matched teams + Cristiano Ronaldo.

EDIT: I would neither be surprised to see Germany run the table in the group nor even to finish in 2nd place. The only thing that would shock me would be to see Germany fail to advance. FWIW, Nate Silver gave Germany over 90% chance of advancement, and then Portugal and USA in a virtual dead-heat, with Portugal favored by around a percentage point (around 39%-40% IIRC) and then Ghana, who he still gave more than a 25% chance to advance.

There's a clear favorite, but after that, it all gets very murky. It's just that one of those "other" sides just happens to have arguably the greatest player in the game right now, and you have to consider that a factor.

tab5g repped this.
  14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Agreed, and primary title contenders have been known to slip up (at times) in the group stage. For some reason I do not expect the Germans will enjoy their time and games in Brazil at the 2014WC.

And yes, two teams will get eliminated from Group G and the US very well could be one of those two teams -- but I see nothing wrong with anyone (Landon Donovan included) expecting the US to play more than three matches at this World Cup.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: the entire group G schedule will be played out in the tropical north. Our German-Americans are not fond of playing in the heat. UEFA in general has a history of wilting in the heat. (Granted, our schedule is actually the worst, which could be a factor.) I expect the conditions, and the way they wear on the players of all four teams to be an X factor in how this turns out. Despite the fact that Germany has an incredible record of consistency, these factors are not particularly favorable to them.

I think that Landon's correct in that we have just about as good a chance as anyone, and he should feel confident in thinking that if our team performs, then we need not fear the odds, particularly if we can win the first match. That's key, and I think that's rather how we have to prepare. Beat Ghana. Then, grab as many points as you can.

tab5g repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The first game is vital. A loss with Ghana and it's over. Let's not deceive ourselves. Only way to have a shot is to get at the very least a tie. And in that first game, Ghana has one clear advantage: their midfield.

When you play a team with high-caliber midfielders, keeping possession may be the wrong recipe. They have Premiership, Ligue 1, Serie A midfielders. They come from clubs like Juve, Milan, Udinese, Schalke, Marseille. Regular starters in strong clubs.

If the midfield become a possession battle, I don't see us winning it. Matter of fact I'd prefer a counterattacking style against them. It almost worked before. Now they also bring a weak spot on the left, where they got that kid Waris in the Egypt games, with Inkoom behind --a guy below his 2010 level.

I'm afraid JK is going to want our MLSers engage in a possession battle in midfield against the likes of Muntari, Asamoah, KP Boateng, Badu, instead of hitting fast on the flanks. That's a battle we're unlikely to win.

Wessoman and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  17. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Ronaldo to be the golden boot winner. He will have 4 goals after his first 2 games. The tourney is set up for him to dominate into the semis

18. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    #18 tab5g, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    Let's not deceive ourselves -- there are 6 points available to each team within any two of their three group stage matches.

There's no denying that the first game is key, and a win there is more-desirable than a tie, and is vastly more-desirable than a loss would be.

But nothing will be decided on the first match day. Even if the US loses to Ghana, this US team is capable of getting the points required to advance from their next two games (even though the US would certainly not be "favored" to win either of those games v POR and GER).

StlDon repped this.
  19. StlDon

StlDon Red Card

Sep 17, 2013
    KCMO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree with this. I'm thinking about the great 2006 side who was dominated by a mediocre Czech side, probably due to a poor USMNT analysis of the Czech side.

It's not that the first match doesn't matter, it's just that sometimes the first match is simply bad luck, and the character of the team is not revealed by the match.

20. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    No offense to the US or Ghana but there's absolutely no good argument in regards to Portugal, USA, Ghana being relatively even. Nate Silver's "predictions" for tournaments have been proven wrong time and time again. Portugal is clearly better than the USA and Ghana without Ronaldo. With Ronaldo it isn't even up for discussion. As this is football, anything can happen as me and you both saw in 2002, but let's not kid ourselves. From a purely objective standpoint, assuming each team plays to their capabilities (which Portugal does in major tournaments) Portugal is cearly the 2nd best team in this group, by a considerable distance.

owian and Adrian559 repped this.
  21. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Go ahead and bloviate on that purely objective standpoint, by all means.

tab5g repped this.
  22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Around here, everything is up for discussion.

The beauty of the WC competition is that "clearly better" teams might not achieve expected results and might fail to advance from group play.

23. DaNnYsOl09

DaNnYsOl09 Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    3-1 USA over Ghana after a slow start that saw Ghana go up early (Again!) before we shift gears and give it to them with the 3rd goal coming late in the game leaving no doubt about who the better TEAM was.
    2-1 USA over Portugal in a close one where Geoff does work on Ronaldo. At some point cameras pan to Ronaldo sitting on the floor, legs outstretched, pounding the pitch for not a getting a call as Cameron looks back and smiles.
    2-2 Against Germany, in a game that has a PK not called in favor of the US, Neuer making several big time saves right up until the US gets the equalizer in the dying moments of the game off a scramble in the box. Germany takes the group thanks to a 4+ goal differential.....

Too optimistic?

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idk what you're smoking but pass that

25. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, Portugal is, and has often been less than the sum of its parts. Are Portugal's players, even absent Ronaldo, better than their US counterparts across the board? Sure. But while it does make Portugal a superior collection of individuals, it doesn't make Portugal a better team. I am banking on Portugal continuing to underachieve and choke, which looks like a decent possibility again.

Bluecat82 and dwsmith1972 repped this.