Lack of TV/webstreaming: Let the bitch session begin!

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by coltrockslil13, Feb 8, 2012.

1. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While frustrating to not see a stream of the game, the Matchtracker updates are exceptionally good today.

2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw on the USSoccer.com website that the United States-Brazil match
    on Tuesday, April 3 will be shown LIVE on ESPN2 and ESPN3 with kickoff at
    7:00 am ET.

According to the ESPNMediazone.com website - TV coverage is scheduled to
    start at 7:00 am ET. Unless kickoff for the match is actually later - expect
    ESPN2 to start their TV coverage 5 minutes earlier - at 6:55 am ET here - so
    they can have a short pre-game show similar to what they are doing for the
    Japan match on Sunday, April 1.

The United States-Japan match is still scheduled to be shown LIVE on
    ESPN2 and ESPN3 with TV coverage starting at 6:25 am ET.

LB...

3. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update to this thread with the news that the Brazil game will be moved to 3 a.m. ET.

U.S. Soccer tweeted these messages:

Also, ESPN3 has this message on its website:

My two cents is that this is seriously messed up. At first I was upset that there will be no live stream at 3 a.m. or even a live broadcast considering ESPN2 is likely not showing much of anything that time of night. However, perhaps the move to an earlier time does not allow for all of the television staff, equipment, etc., to get to the stadium and be ready in time for a live broadcast to be possible. But if a live broadcast is possible and they are not doing it for some reason, I would really like to hear what that reason is. You can always show a replay at 7 a.m. as well as a live 3 a.m. broadcast.

Also, all of a sudden not allowing the game to be streamed on a taped basis at 7 a.m. really bothers me. Originally, ESPN3 was going to stream it live at 7 a.m., but now that it will be tape delayed, online access to that game is being pushed back to 9 a.m. I would really like to hear an explanation for this.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    did brazil play a game less than 2 days ago?

if not this puts the uswnt at quite a disadvantage, with them losing another 3 hours of rest for their legs.

i expect to see signs of leg weariness from abby, boxxy et al after all the pressing they had to do against japan in the second half.

5. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil plays Japan in two days, so if I believe this is their first game in Japan.

In regards to the lack of TV/webstreaming for this game, the official U.S. Soccer release - http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens-National-Team/2012/04/Kickoff-for-US-WNT-Brazil-Match-Changed-to-3-am.aspx - states that:

"limited"? Also, there appears to be no Match Tracker for this game (it kicked off a couple minutes ago and no MT is available on the U.S. Soccer main page). Now I know everybody was likely scrambling, but having regular Twitter updates and a Match Tracker should have been done with no issues. I'm guessing that it has something to do with ESPN wanting as full as exclusive a coverage as it can get without actually showing the game live. :mad: Even if a game is kicking off in the middle of the morning I want the option to follow it live as closely as possible.

6. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After thinking over my earlier comment (quoted above), I am guessing that the ESPN announcers did not fly over to Japan (similar to the Mariners TV announcers for their baseball games there last week) and getting them to the studio at 3 a.m. on such short notice is not really reasonable. However, it would have been nice to see a non-commented live stream at 3 a.m., but whatever.

7. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I set my alarm for the crack of dawn this morning and am rather peeved I'm not going to be able to watch the 7 am webstream.

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Joke! where is the feed? i can't get comcast to connect to espn2 / watch. :mad:

9. bissell

bissell Member

Apr 3, 2012
  10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I haven't been too impressed with her play recently.

It was somewhat disappointing that they couldn't get a group together in Bristol for the live match. It was obvious they all knew the result for the studio portions too.