LA Galaxy Marketing/Advertising Thread

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by phoenixhazard, Feb 26, 2014.

1. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goodness we have a person who has won the Bundesliga on our team.

But seriously, who is that? Landon? Did they win the years he was technically with Leverkusen? I don't think Robbie played there. Anyone know who what was?

Final nitpick: shouldn't you make the point of the graphic evident somewhere, you know, like, on the graphic or something?

2. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Apparently if you take all the people on the team & coaching staff and add up their trophies that’s what you get. So Robbie’s 2 and Landon’s 5 MLS Cups that’s 7 of the 39 … it’s so random as well what they included and what they didn’t.

3. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm convinced now there are interns doing these. @phoenixhazard should totally apply to work for the Galaxy.

Looks like we're not the only ones confused; it's getting bashed pretty hard in the Instagram comments.

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Friend (2. Bundesliga)

Geneva repped this.
  5. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Wow. Can't believe they included that. They should include fan stuff too. I once won a coed league trophy and scored a goal somewhere in the playoffs by accidentally getting in the way of a cross. I want that one there too.

6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    The new designer came from the LA Weekly, I’ve not read it, but I haven’t met a newspaper that didn’t love its info-graphics.

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Also off the top of my head, Robbie has won the League Cup and doesn’t Kirovski have a Champions’ League medal?

8. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Also missing

Bruce won the CONCACAF Champions’ Cup and Intertoto Cup
    Reis was on the roster when LA won their CONCACAF Champions’ Cup and when New England won SuperLiga
    Jovan also won the 97 Inter Continental Cup

So not only is this info-graphic dumb and poorly executed it’s also full of enough errors to cast doubt on the accuracy of the entire thing.

9. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Berks and forie repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The layout and graphics are nice, but it just seems really wrong-headed conceptually. The Keane one from a few weeks ago was really effective; why not simply do a similar one for the DPs or key players?

I await the next infographic: LA GALAXY HAVE SCORED 5,453,062 GOALS!*

*if you count all goals scored by all present and former Galaxy players for any club and goals scored by all players Bruce Arena has ever coached

phoenixhazard, Berks, shelbo and 2 others repped this.
  11. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    There are two interesting ideas in there, but instead of picking one and refining it they split the difference and ended up with something rather muddled.

What’s not working is the large trophies and the trophies underneath – they’re redundant. Now something they could have done was use the small trophies as markers indicating how many trophies were won by players and how many by coaches; gold for players and blue for coaches with a small legend. This would enabled the removal of the tiny nearly unreadable text at the bottom – though it would also require eliminating those things which aren’t really trophies (Best XI, MVP, COTY, etc… ) saving those for a future info-graphic.

I’d quibble with the varying font sizes, spacing & alignment of the text under each of the large cups and the height of the “plinths” under that type and the stair-step horizontal rules under that. If I’m being really nit-picky the corner radius of each “plinth” is inconsistent and it’s only corned on the right side. I could see using the stair-step effect and adjustable height “plinths” to account for the height disparity of the text and ensuring a consistent baseline, except there isn’t a consistent baseline because the stairs should have been ascending. Ultimately it’s not a solution that was going to be successful given the constraints of the data.

12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we had about 26 players on the roster, on average, on each MLS championship team. So does this mean we can actually claim that we've won 104 MLS Cups?

The Cadaver and MPNumber9 repped this.
  13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    #313 dashiel, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Words fail. The only thing I can come up with is the marketing department has seen this thread and is now actively trolling by putting out progressively worse work. Honestly this is what I would expect from a C student in a high school Photoshop class. Poor concept, atrocious execution.

@jmaestro you asked how I’d know if the team was going down the wrong path. I don’t know enough about soccer in general or specific to the Galaxy to have an informed opinion, but in terms of marketing I can say without question they’ve a long way down the wrong path. I don’t know how it reflects on upper management, there are certainly organizations with shit marketing/branding that are successful, but I struggle to think of a world class organization with terrible marketing/branding.

Dude obviously has talent he did the San Penedo poster

[​IMG]

Baysider and Geneva repped this.
  14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    The new Galaxy designer is a Portland native who’s favorite teams are the Trailblazers and Ducks and not those of Anaheim. I’m not saying he’s a Timbers plant, but I’m not saying he’s not.

/yes this is sarcasm.

The Cadaver repped this.
  15. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both of those are awesome. The Summer of Soccer poster is hilarious.

16. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Keane volleyball spike is great.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Donovan and Keane hate that MLS own their likenesses right about now.

Geneva repped this.
  18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding - they should at least have rights to review materials - that photoshopped image of LD is downright embarrassing.

phoenixhazard and lafan480 repped this.
  19. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! Also Landon's sports bra and pudgy belly. :ROFLMAO:

20. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely that poster can't be real, it's awful!

This most worrying thing about all of this is that outside of getting results on the field the number one thing a sports team sells is its brand. When you aren't protecting your brand from embarrassment like above it destroys your business. What an absolute disgrace that poster is, makes LAG look like a joke

21. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dashiel and Phoenix, on this point I agree with you: these are truly terrible. They manage to combine bad style with being really confusing. Yick.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  22. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    And they probably sit around and wonder why the stands are 1/3 empty (conservatively) at every home game.

23. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we can afford to pay Beckham and Donovan and Keane's crazy salaries we can surely afford to hire a decent marketing team...

24. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    It is not uncommon for new management to look at their creative budget and balk then try to bring (more) creative in house. It rarely works out well.

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they do bring it in house, maybe they could hire more than the intern to do these? 1 decent graphic designer + a marketer that understands creative strategies?